I cannot seem to place a new eject desc/str in my plug...

I have located the sentences "After drifting for several days you are finally rescued by a passing ship" etc.;they are in the Data file in the EV game itself. I have changed some of the words to what I want and the overall length is exactly the same # of characters, but the copy of the data file in my plug does not override the data file in EV itself. What am I missing to make this work?

------------------
Mace means no.

Urm.. the fact that plug-ins are RESOURCE forked based, not data and resource fork based.

------------------
RIP THE SYSTEM!

What do you mean by that?

Becuase there are data forks in the plugins..

------------------
The Great Expansion - An upcoming total conversion of EVO

Well, the plug-in engine isn't meant to modify the DATA resource. Just try using an EVO plug-in, and there's a dësc in there for the eject. As far as the data fork goes - it's there, but it's not used (unless you use EV-Edit). It's only in the application itself, and there might be some kind of link to the DATA resource.

Override, although some people might think it isn't as good (as in the default scenario), has a better engine. Period. So it's a better idea to develop a plug-in for EVO than for EV.

Mike Lee (Firebird)

I think the replies here are confusing a perfectly straightforward question.

The EV Datafile can be entirely overridden by plugins, and so can text which is actually in the resource fork of the EV or EVO application.

Copy the resource you've found into your plugin, and change it, and it should just work. If it doesn't, it's possible that you've changed the ID, or that there's another plug-in in your folder which is returning it to the original text. EV or EVO loads plugins in alphanumeric order, so anything with Zs at the front will be loaded after anything with As at the front, and will overwrite any of the same resources.

------------------

M A R T I N • T U R N E R

I'm not exactly sure thats correct Martin..
the data fork of EV is in the Resource forks..however, when EV launches it looks for specific templets in the plugs, ie misn, outf, etc.. it will not locate the data temp..to do what your are attempting Gandalf, you have to physically change the data rsc inside the engine's resource fork..which means to release the plug, you must include either a patch, or the edited 'ev' game engine..

-IE

------------------

No, honestly, it's all true.

A lot of the resources in Frozen Heart and Femme Fatale do this -- and it works. I spent a lot of time at the start going through the Data files and even the EVO program files to get this.

Effectively, when you send out a plugin, you are sending out a patch.

If you haven't played Frozen Heart yet (shameless self-promotion) you can get it from this site.

------------------

M A R T I N • T U R N E R

Martin Turner wrote:
**If you haven't played Frozen Heart yet (shameless self-promotion) you can get it from this site.

Bah, that's nothing compared to EVula. 🙂

------------------
-Shade

"Cannibals are people to."

(url="http://"http://www.theonion.com")The Onion, America's finest news source(/url)

Martin Turner wrote:
**I think the replies here are confusing a perfectly straightforward question.

The EV Datafile can be entirely overridden by plugins, and so can text which is actually in the resource fork of the EV or EVO application.

Copy the resource you've found into your plugin, and change it, and it should just work. If it doesn't, it's possible that you've changed the ID, or that there's another plug-in in your folder which is returning it to the original text. EV or EVO loads plugins in alphanumeric order, so anything with Zs at the front will be loaded after anything with As at the front, and will overwrite any of the same resources.

For whatever reason, its not working.
The ID of the Data file is '0', the size of the file is exactly the same at 20053, the 'Attributes' are checkedmarked under 'purgeable' and 'protected' in both EV and my plug-in version of the Data file, and the only other items in the EV plug-in folder are the EV tuner+icon.... Where am I going wrong? Actually, I'm not sure that tuner needs to be there?

------------------
Mace means no.

Gandalf wrote:
**For whatever reason, its not working.
The ID of the Data file is '0', the size of the file is exactly the same at 20053, the 'Attributes' are checkedmarked under 'purgeable' and 'protected' in both EV and my plug-in version of the Data file, and the only other items in the EV plug-in folder are the EV tuner+icon.... Where am I going wrong? Actually, I'm not sure that tuner needs to be there?

The fact that it says the resource is "protected" in the EV file should be your first clue as to what's wrong. If the resource is marked as protected, it cannot be replaced by a plugin. Even if you mark your version the same way, it won't work. You'd have to uncheck that box on the EV side and in your plugin. Of course, it would only work on your copy of the game, since this resource is still protected in other people's copies of the game. The fact that FH and FF are EVO plugins allows them to change that dialog box. Bottom line: make the plug for EVO.

------------------
Knucklehead, Aeon Productions

=======================

(Insert witty remark here)

What do you mean the ID of the DATA file? Do you mean the actual file called "EV Data" (in which case saying that it has an ID is silly), or the ID of the DATA resource in the data file or the application? If it's the latter, I would guess that you have the extension "Forker". In that case, yes, Firebird is right, plugins only modify the resources of the Data files, not the Data fork (which is what the DATA "resource" actually is).

------------------
We come in peace, shoot to kill, shoot to kill, shoot to kill...

Thank you for all of your replies. It does not seem possible to be able to modify that sentence in the DATA fork. But this is only a small detail I was looking into, one of a few possibilities I'm exploring as I finish my 5.1M plug Mugabi and Destiny. I wanted to introduce a cloaked escape pod and add some flair to the eject sequence for those that play strict/escape pod.

------------------
Mace means no.

I think you're all confusing poor Gandalf here - it's like this: Originally, as Martin and others have said, the application got the text for escape pod use from somewhere within itself, and to replace that text you had to track down that text and find out the ID# etc. It was decided that that was a bit obscure and hard to edit and Matt changed things so that the app. now gets this text from desc 1900 (IIRC). What has confused you is that the old text still exists in the depths of the application - actually, it isn't used anymore and changing it has no effect.

------------------
... you wonder if their eating of the eels isn't a little too overt ...

You're right, it does get the text for the eject string from that desc, in EV:Override. But Gandalf is talking about in the original EV. Desc 1900 is not in EV. (sorry about no accent marks-still stuck with this windoze machine)

------------------
Knucklehead, Aeon Productions

=======================

(Insert witty remark here)