EV to EVO

I got some free ships off the internet and attempted putting them into my EVO plugin. Unforanetly they were EV ships with faulty icons so after messing up my EVO some I ran Norton Disk Doctor and discovered this. Is there anyway I can change the EV code so it works for EVO? I have a number of sprites and PICTs which I need changed. Also any tips on putting new ships in? I think I may be doing it in a round about way.

------------------
ResEdit Wars: A New Crash
ResEdit Wars II: The Hacker Hacks Back
RedEdit Wars III: Return of the unknown error.

And now playing on your Mac:
ResEdit Wars: The Phantom Plugin

I dont quite understand what you mean by that. Try this anyway.

Put them in an EV plug and then running that through EVOlution. If you don't have EVOlutin, you can get it at (url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/vftp/vftp.cgi?url=evo/editors&product;=&sort;=name")http://www.ambrosias...duct=&sort=name(/url) . It comes with EV-Edit so if when you go to the site click on EVEdit321.sit.hqx and download it. If this doesn't work as a link copy and paste it into your browser.

------------------
Umm...Yeah...ok.

I don't know why you had to run norton disk doctor, but anyway when you d/l ships, you normally just get the sprites, you need to put these in a plug in, it can be for EV or EVO, and then make a spin resource and a ship resource as described by the EV/O bible. If it did give you a ship resource, then you need to put it into the EVO plug in along with the EVO template, then open up the ship resource, and it will ask you if you want to add new fields or something like that, say yes and it adds the jammer field which you can just leave alone and it won't change anything.

Hope that helps a little.

Chamrin

First, let me warn you against using EVOlution. It's very, very buggy and can wreck plugins.

Secondly, to convert an EV plug to an EVO plug, all you need to do is change the file type, which you can do in ResEdit or with any type changer. You can then pop it into your plug-ins file and it should work

sort of.

The problem is that the weapons and other resources in EVO do not match up to the weapons in EV, so although the ship should work, its weapons will be really odd. Also, all the concepts and descriptions will be for the EV world not the EVO world.

Conclusion: if you are building a plug-in and know the ins and outs of resources, it's no problem to lift things straight out of EV (providing you have permission for this from the author of the plug-in). You don't even need to change types for this, because you can just copy from Resedit into Resedit. However, if you don't know about plug-ins, the results will most likely be strange and unexpected.

Regards

Martin

------------------

M A R T I N • T U R N E R

Ok thanks everyone. I think I know what to do now.

------------------
ResEdit Wars: A New Crash
ResEdit Wars II: The Hacker Hacks Back
RedEdit Wars III: Return of the unknown error.

And now playing on your Mac:
ResEdit Wars: The Phantom Plugin