My intro music is over 5 megs!

I have a really good stereo sound that lasts for about 44 secs. How in the world would I make it small enough (while still keeping its quality intact) so that I could use it in a plug?

One other thing. I didn't bother to check it myself, but just how long should the intro music be (rated by powerpcs speeds)?

I'd really appreciate the help.

Zeta

------------------
Sleep?! Oh yah... I did that last week!

Zeta wrote:
I have a really good stereo sound that lasts for about 44 secs. How in the world would I make it small enough (while still keeping its quality intact) so that I could use it in a plug?

Uh this'll reduce the quality a bit: Make it a mono sound (i.e. one channel) the Hz should be 11.127 Hz, and it should be 8 bits, not 16.

One other thing. I didn't bother to check it myself, but just how long should the intro music be (rated by powerpcs speeds)?

Uh, for my G3, about 2-4 seconds. 😄

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.blackrockmac.com/ajm/sig.html")~AM~(/url)

Har har har. Thanks for the tip, but really. I need to know how long the music needs to play. On the powerpc I used, the music ended emediately after the game was done loading.

How long would that take?

------------------
Sleep?! Oh yah... I did that last week!

Zeta wrote:
I need to know how long the music needs to play. On the powerpc I used, the music ended emediately after the game was done loading.

That's a bug with certain computer models, sorry. =(

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.blackrockmac.com/ajm/sig.html")~AM~(/url)

probably 10 secs is enough

------------------
CaptainG3
AIM:CaptnG3

The intro music for EV is approx. 30-35 seconds.

My suggestions: I don't know if stereo works for the intro music in EV, if it doesn't work making it mono will halve the size.

One person said it's supposed to be 11Khz (actually they said 11.something, but it's really 11 for in-game), but for the intro music EV can handle 22Khz. That'll decrease the size by half again (I think) but it will degrade quality some. It won't be TOO bad, though. Especially if you consider: full-quality, no downloads, reduced quality, everyone gets it. 😉

Sound compression doesn't work with EV.

------------------

Yes, you can use 22 khz, but not stereo. There's no reason for your music not to take longer than 35 seconds -- people will be happy to listen if it's good music.

My advice is get loads of ambience in there and a lot of energy. This is something the standard music for EVO lacks. Also, if you can, use real instruments as the QT samples tend to sound a bit cheesy.

I'm not sure where your 5 MB of music is from, but remember that if you don't own the copyright (ie, you performed it and composed it) then you can't distribute it without the copyright owner's written permission.

------------------

M A R T I N • T U R N E R

Doesn't copyright law only prohibit using the exact same composistion (or something strikingly alike)? For instance: You might have written a poem, and if my poem sounded to alike to yours... that's copyright violation. But if I take your poem, expand on the dialoge, and rewrite/reword your poem completely... that wouldn't be a violation.

In application: You make music. I put extra sounds in, change the sequence of measures, and scramble the frequencies and pitch. That is not a violation. You don't recognize it as yours, therefore the final compisition is mine.

I hope I didn't lose anybody there. But, that is how it works... right?

Sincerely,
Zeta

P.S.
I mean't that when the game was done loading, that was about the same point that the music was done playing (in other words: they were synchronized).

------------------
Sleep?! Oh yah... I did that last week.

(This message has been edited by Zeta (edited 02-20-2000).)

Sadly, that isn't how it works.

There is now an accepted sense of underlying copyright. You can 'quote' from someone else's work (ie, stick in a quick sample), but if you've taken someone else's work and played around with it, then the underlying copyright belongs to them, although the copyright of the reworking belongs to you.

This is exactly analogous to recording someone else's song.

If your band records (say) Lennon's Imagine in an arrangement by (say) Meat Loaf, then the following copyright fees are payable:

1. The estate of John Lennon (until 50 years after his death)
  2. Meat Loaf (or his estate as above)
  3. Each member of your band (including ones who subsequently leave)
  4. Your producer
  5. Any other musicians who played and with whom you didn't have a prior agreement (at least implicit) that the fee they were receiving was in lieu of copyright.

------------------

M A R T I N • T U R N E R

Well... this is why I write all my own music, and it is purely original -- there is too much celtic music out there, but hey!! 😄

J~

------------------
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
http://jonpearse.cjb.net
jon@jonpearse.cjb.net

- A life -- cool, where can I download one of those