Ship Stats Difference From Original Ev Override

I thought the UE Destroyer beat a Vonian Frigate

If I remember properly, didn't the UE Destroyer kill a Vonian Frigate in a toe-to-toe battle virtually every single time? Keep in mind these are both stock ships. Recently I've been playing EV Override for Nova after a while, and not only do UE Destroyers lose every single time, but a UE Carrier I bought and modified with Dospect Armor, four Neutron Turrets and four blaze cannons can barely take on two Vonian Frigates (though that is without fighters). Nonetheless, something seems to be off balance stat wise, or is it possibly just the difference between the Nova and Override engines?

This has been mentioned by a few people and while I don't know what exactly is causing things to be different I can assure you that no stats have been modified. I suspect it may just be the AI.

A UE Destroyer could beat a Frigate? I might have to load the trial version of EVO sometime...

Well, for one, it may just be an issue with the game speed. Its my experience that, at least on my copy, the victor in Frigate vs Destroyer fights usually boiled down to who shot first (and sometimes leaving both ships disabled).

Unlike EVO and EVC, however, EVN does not possess a speed slider; instead adjusting the game speed to make maximum use of the host computer's processing power. While a bit more consistent, it makes porting a real pain, since the game speed determines (or at least, used to determine) shot velocity.

Also, the EVN AI routines are slightly different than the EVC/EVO ones, and may, perhaps, use weapons at a different level of efficacy than they used to.

Finally, I'm not sure if Guy compensated for this or not, but EVC and EVO have a "Bleed-Over" system when it comes to weapons (ź of the shield damage is added to the armor damage, and vice versa), whereas EVN is "What you see is what you get". This could potentially cause some slight damage differentials if not accounted for.

The ports assume a speed slider position of 100% and correctly account for the ź additional damage. EVN does behave differently when a shot lowers a ship's shields and starts damaging armour but this is only noticeable with heavy weapons against small ships (eg, in EVC for Nova a single Heavy Rocket can completely destroy a Courier).

@-visitor-, on Jul 24 2008, 11:21 PM, said in Ship Stats Difference From Original Ev Override:

Unlike EVO and EVC, however, EVN does not possess a speed slider; instead adjusting the game speed to make maximum use of the host computer's processing power. While a bit more consistent, it makes porting a real pain, since the game speed determines (or at least, used to determine) shot velocity.

It also means that EV Nova should always behave the same way on every computer, whereas the previous games speed up as they're put onto faster machines. A modern (or even five-year-old) Macintosh running EV Override will not accurately represent the way the game behaved when it was released, and so someone who only knows the older games as 'classics' may have incorrect expectations.

Should. In reality this isn't the case. When Leopard first came out Nova ran noticeably slower (this is probably still true though I haven't checked). But the real problem with the way Nova works is that when the graphics get really bogged down it still tries to keep the same speed, dropping many frames and not even bothering to calculate the physics of what should be happening in between. It's pretty much unplayable when this happens.

i have noticed that with both ports, everything involving time is exactly 50% of what i remember it being on the original versions as played on my old 680k before it died.

Which ports are you running? The latest versions of my ports (EVO 1.0.3 and EV 1.0.1) have had their speed boosted to 150%. The previous versions would probably have felt around 50% of the speed of the original games.