EV Override for Nova released!

Er, anyone here?

This board isn't really dead, is it? You're all just out buying your iPhone, right? Right?
Well for all those who aren't, EV Override for Nova 1.0.2 has just been released! πŸ™‚ There's been a lot of changes since the last version although most of it's pretty minor. Here are some of the changes you might actually notice:

• Tribute from dominated stellars is now correct.

• Random cargo quantity ranges are now closer to the originals.

• No longer crashes on Windows when running in windowed mode.

• Azdgari Warship and Zidagar Fighter comm picts display properly on Windows.

• Mission/description dialog borders no longer get clipped on Windows.

• Sillycon font for Windows looks a lot better.

• Nebulae display nicer.

• Main screen easter egg shows the original EV Haikus image.

• Includes new Flash-based intro.

Also new are a few 'fixes' to some outstanding issues from the original game - these are mentioned in the Read Me. For those who downloaded the 1.0.2 beta, make sure you reinstall the font in this final version as it may have changed.

So download it and play through the storylines one more time. Have a go at porting some old plugs with SpacePort. Write a cool new plug for it and post about it on the board here. Don't let EVO die 😞

This post has been edited by Guy : 20 October 2009 - 04:37 AM

rejoices

At last!

Yes, I realize that there've been other versions of EV:O for Nova already, but at long last I can see it in the way I saw it on my Mac, only better!

And Guy, about your SpaceportΒ™ comment: whoever it was who did Reign of the UE (UE Admiral, was it?) needs to make the Nova port. I'm tired of sounding like a broken record by constantly restating this.

Woohoo!

Well, if this release is as stable as it can be, I imagine that hopefully we'll see ports of plug-ins coming eventually.

Yay!

waves miniature UE flag

Looks and works good, but it seems like the acceleration rates are a little high in comparison to the speed. I opened up EVO under Classic Mode and I think there's definitely a difference Does Nova increase the accel rates more than it does the speed and turn rates when caps lock is on?

Also, I don't remember if this is normal, having not played regular ol' Override for a long time, but Blaze cannons don't make sounds when they hit stuff. Is this a bug in the port or is it normal?

What speed setting did you run EVO at? The port matches exactly the behaviour of EVO at 100%, albeit only half as fast. Make sense? No, I didn't think so. What I mean is, the speed slider in EVO doesn't keep everything consistent - it doesn't take everything into account. IIRC, if you put the speed down to 50% you'll find that weapons only have half their normal range.
Caps lock just skips every other frame so it's entirely consistent. That's not to say it's not without problems though: If you have a beam that fires every other frame and has 1 life then depending on what frame you start on you won't see anything at all.

As for blaze weapons, if you can open up EVO under classic so easily why don't you tell me :p. I think you'll find it's correct though - the bug is with the 'official' port which incorrectly gives sound to the tiny explosion.

Warlord Mike, you could always try doing it yourself ;). I would if I had the time but I have other things higher on my priority list. Plus there's always hope that orca will release a new SpacePort beta (or a final!) sometime soon.

This post has been edited by Guy : 02 July 2007 - 04:56 AM

@guy, on Jul 2 2007, 02:27 AM, said in EV Override for Nova released!:

Warlord Mike, you could always try doing it yourself ;). I would if I had the time but I have other things higher on my priority list. Plus there's always hope that orca will release a new SpacePort beta (or a final!) sometime soon.

Believe me, Guy, if I had the original blueprints, I would start right now, but it wouldn't help much, because I couldn't make a plug to save my bacon if it depended on it. 😞

Blueprints being these? It's never too late to learn πŸ˜‰

iPhone won't make it to NZ for a year or so :(, but THIS should help pass some of that time ;), and I think definitely warrants some time off WoW.

If at all. But I heard Vodafone will be the carrier in Europe so that's hopeful. I'd be gutted if Telecom picked it up here.

AHHHH!!!!! WoW the evilnes of it.

Right back to it. I think that this would be great because Ive been longing to play EVO for years.
But unfortunatly I can't get it because my dad recently deleted ALL my games. 😞

This post has been edited by Admiral Max : 13 July 2007 - 07:02 AM

Did you ever fix the issue with random Frontier Express destinations?

'cause I's gots a solutions

Sort of.

And by "sort of" I mean it works perfectly to emulate the original if you don't mind utilizing an extra NCB or three.

Download it and find out πŸ™‚
Well, no. But luckily Edwards did and his fix is included, utilising extra bits and even nebus to get it working perfectly. But you were around at the time, weren't you? Though if you have a complete solution which doesn't use nebus I'd be interested to hear.

@martinz, on Jul 3 2007, 02:28 AM, said in EV Override for Nova released!:

iPhone won't make it to NZ for a year or so :(, but THIS should help pass some of that time ;), and I think definitely warrants some time off WoW.

Heyyy, MartinNZ!

You still here? I haven't forgotten you, from the days of the crew-of-one challenge.

This is the person who completed all three core missions in a Krait. Including taking out the Voinian Dreadnaught, of course.

I tried, and had to retreat back to the shuttle. (Which feels like a real Rolls-Royce, compared to the krait.)

- VA

I am still here. The web board here is one of the links that I open most days ... it's just that most days there's nothing new here :(.

Crew-of-one challenge, good times. Something else to get back into, soon. The shuttle does indeed rock. How does the krait fare in the port in terms of armour? It used to not recharge at all if you got down to that; can it get disabled now? I guess I can find out for myself, soon :).

Mm, there's an interesting formula for how shield regen actually works but basically if a ship has < 100 shields then the shields don't regenerate. This holds true in the port. As for armour, the Krait is supposed to have 0 (IIRC) but Nova requires at least 1. So yeah you get 1 more point of armour than you're supposed to but I don't think that will help you πŸ˜‰ (actually, since it's not enough to allow it to be disabled you may have some fun fighting pirates. hm, I should check that out)

This post has been edited by Guy : 18 July 2007 - 06:55 PM

Heh, looking forward to it :).

I'm sure your random mission method works fine.

@voinianambassador, on Jul 18 2007, 07:02 AM, said in EV Override for Nova released!:

I tried, and had to retreat back to the shuttle. (Which feels like a real Rolls-Royce, compared to the krait.)

Are you joking? The Krait is, like an F-15 to the Shuttle's Cesna. Es ar es el wye.

@guy, on Jul 19 2007, 11:52 AM, said in EV Override for Nova released!:

actually, since it's not enough to allow it to be disabled you may have some fun fighting pirates.

Ha, it works. Try it and see: affected ships are Krait, Crescent Fighter (+ variants) and Azdara (+ variants).

This post has been edited by Guy : 21 July 2007 - 04:15 AM