Yet Another Question - SAD system

So, while toolign around with my new Lazira, I'm begining to think the SAD system is utterly worthless. Of the 5 or 6 shots I've fired only two have hit anything.. and once that was because I was right on top of the opposing ship (a Voinian). The damage didn't seem all that great either.

I was curious what the pros of that system were, because Im considering selling it and replacing it with more turrets or a few good ol' fasioned rockets.

In my personal opinion, I find the SAD to be quite effective if fired from multiple SAD launchers. These shots will then home in toward your target giving it massive amounts of damage. The drawbacks of the SAD's are dealing with asteroids that can be hit with the SAD molecule or that the target has a jammer on it for SAD molecules.

Yep. In a system riddled with asteroids, you should be relatively safe. Just hide behind those asteroids and you'll be out of trouble.

Now, in a system without asteroids, all you can hope for is that your ship is faster than the modules, because the only way you'll save yourself is by outrunning the orbs of doom. This is where they're most effective, by the way. NEVER use SAD Modules in asteroid-infested systems.

IIRC, SADs are 25% vulnerable to the standard ECM systems used by all crescent ships and 50% vulnerable to the Zidagar ECM system. Outside of the crescent they should be 100% effective (in absence of asteroids).

I haven't checked, but SADs are also probably optimized for damaging shields, not armor. Remember that a given government's weapons are designed to damage ships belonging to that government, and the Strand ships are all shield-heavy, while the Voinians are armor-heavy. Strand weapons are almost completely useless against Voinians.

@derakon, on Mar 19 2007, 08:03 PM, said in Yet Another Question - SAD system:

Strand weapons are almost completely useless against Voinians.

This is particularly clear with the Phase Cannons. If you're going to fight Voinians, NEVER get them; otherwise, go for it. Renegades in UE space (and the UE ships themselves, to an extent), will bite the dust before they even get a few shots off.

Still, Neutron Cannons FTW, all the way. :laugh:

Like Crow T Robot said, I always thought the SAEs and SADs were a waste of space unless you use multiple launchers, and their homing abilities are limited. I don't like to pay for something that doesn't strike it's target every time. For most of the game I was able to get by with Hunter Missiles, shielding and turrets in a Laizra.

@callide, on Mar 20 2007, 04:19 PM, said in Yet Another Question - SAD system:

Like Crow T Robot said, I always thought the SAEs and SADs were a waste of space unless you use multiple launchers, and their homing abilities are limited. I don't like to pay for something that doesn't strike it's target every time. For most of the game I was able to get by with Hunter Missiles, shielding and turrets in a Laizra.

Callide is also right, the Hunter missile is another great secondary weapon to have in that it is quick and effective in causing a good amount of damage to enemy ships. However, as like with the SAD and SAE, it can be effected by jamming but more so by asteroids. I usually do not get the SAD's unless I am using a large capital ship like the UE Cruiser to lead my fleet.