A question...

...about voinians.

Just wondering, does EVO take place during the great war they talk about in EV? The voinians certainly seem like less advanced-versions of the Alien Fighter and cruiser, and there's no rebellion, and there's a bunch of stations called "Listening Post (insert number here)", while one of those was in EV saying it was used in the great war to watch over the aliens. I hope I didn't miss anything. I've only recently starting playing EVO, (after doing practically everything possible in EV), and I haven't found out a whole lot, though I have explored a lot.

No, EVO is an entirely different universe seperate from EV: Classic. Both have their merrits, so you should play each extensively before you make a descision on which is better.

~vIsitor~, on Feb 2 2006, 12:53 PM, said:

No, EVO is an entirely different universe seperate from EV: Classic. Both have their merrits, so you should play each extensively before you make a descision on which is better.
View Post

It may not have been meant that way, but the more I think about it... It's kind of possible i guess...

Except for wondering why the aliens use shielding and the voinians use armor...

-REDCHIGH-, on Feb 2 2006, 10:05 PM, said:

It may not have been meant that way, but the more I think about it... It's kind of possible i guess...

Except for wondering why the aliens use shielding and the voinians use armor...
View Post

I'm pretty sure that the universes are distinct, given that there are starsystems in EVO that don't exist in EV, and that all the hyperlinks are different.

Either that, or someone crammed WAY too many Spacemines into a ship and set them all off, tearing the fabric of space, which is how I've always thought things like the Svass system linking to just about everything in Voinian space and there being dual Kelmaons happened.

One who looks at the urgent missions in both games will notice that in both EV and EVO something called Sajek's Plague exists.

Well, I know that Nova is separate, but it's possible that EVO takes place some zillions of years ago, which would explain the different systems, and the Voinians weren't advanced. They could have fled and then come back later with those weird red ships. I’ve played EVO a lot more now and I’ve found some more things, but it doesn’t matter to post them here. I still believe that it takes place before EV, but it might not, there is quite a bit of evidence on both sides.

I believe there were several discussions on a link between the EVs. We always arrived at the same conclusion: The universes are completely separate.

Here's what I remember from why:
- The most obvious reason (as stated by Lonevoinian earlier in the topic) is the fact that the map and system orientations are completely different. There are only a few corresponding systems between the games.
- EVO cannot be the future of EV. According to the dates of the games, EVO takes place about 100 years before EV, making that impossible.
- If EV is the future, what happened to the strand species? Don't tell me they went extinct/killed each other/ect., because that wouldn't make sense. The Miranu made contact with humans in EVO, yet in EV, the only alien species found was the unnamed one that attacked the humans (Voinians have a name, too).
- In EV, the stray Alien after the Great War goes to the Serpens Nebula, which EVO lacks.
- The Outfits and Ships are dramatically different, even for 100 years.
- As far as Sajek's Plague goes, I think it's possible for two parallel human races to eventually encounter the same disease. That, or Matt Burch just adopted a few missions from EV into EVO.

There are a couple other reasons as well.
It'd be cool, but unfortunately, it just doesn't work out.

It is possible that the strands were shut of from the rest of the known galaxy by the Serpens Nebulae, but I suppose that you could make all kinds of guesses about this. There is simply to many ifs.
Someone should ask Andrew about this, if it has not already been done.

They're simply three distinct games - by different people - who used the same game engine. EV Override and to a lesser extent EV Nova use a few resources from their predecessors, but apart from that any similarities are just a matter of using similar science-fiction tropes.

I was under the impression that they were made by the same people.

Buzzzzy, on Feb 2 2006, 11:06 AM, said:

I've only recently starting playing EVO, (after doing practically everything possible in EV), View Post

Even the all the plugins? I still play EV on my 7600 because I want to play all the incredible plugins that were created for it.

and I haven't found out a whole lot, though I have explored a lot.

What are you trying to find out? There are three objectives to the game that involve the nebulas, the strand balance and the Voinians. Good luck! 😛

Rameretz, on Feb 4 2006, 01:54 AM, said:

It is possible that the strands were shut of from the rest of the known galaxy by the Serpens Nebulae, but I suppose that you could make all kinds of guesses about this. There is simply to many ifs.
View Post

I'd doubt it. The Serpens Nebula is not that big, only spanning over a few systems. If you take a look at the connection to the strand systems in EVO, they span well over the size of the Nebula. And as stated before, the systems are aligned completely different in each game.

As David Arthur stated, they are 3 distinct games. I highly doubt the creators intended them to be linked.

Rameretz, on Feb 4 2006, 10:54 AM, said:

I was under the impression that they were made by the same people.
View Post

Technically, no.

Matt Burch created the original game, but Peter Cartwright designed the second, basically--with, from what I remember, Matt making some minor modifications. And, of course, Nova was designed and executed by ATMOS, while Matt Burch programmed it.

The engines were "made by the same people", but the game universes were not.

-Bob

I think we're looking at parallel universes here. If they were ever truly parallel, they diverged a long, long time ago. These universes all have a similar set of physical constants, and they all contain life. There, the similarities begin to run dry. Two are effectively humans-only civilisations; the other (Override) features multiple, intelligent species, interacting together.

There appear to be one or two imperfections through which matter has leaked from one universe to another, but only tiny amounts. A certain starship in Nova, for example?

Yes, they do indeed have a lot of differences, but I still have a faint hope....

It's possible that EVO is a different universe, but very close to EV. Who knows what could happen in 100 years? People could have developed new outfits, ships, etc., while the Voinians could have made way more progress, with no pirates and such. Humans might be trying to hide the alien’s names, or hardly recognize them. The Serpens nebula might be some of the systems in EVO that exploded. In an effort to hide the aliens, people might have renamed the systems and planets. But like I said before, there is quite a bit of evidence on both sides. Lots of evidence that they're different, lots of evidence they are the same. It's also very slightly possible that EVO is the Alien galaxy, because every once in a while the aliens seem to jump to a system not on the map. But why Earth and Centauri are there...

However, there is not much debate about Nova. The Kestrel just proves it. A "mysterious ship from a different universe" is a dead giveaway.

I recommend the Beyond the Crescent plugin, it makes a nice attempt to tie the two games together in the end.

<snip>

Sorry, didn't realize this was so old. Did not intend to grave-dig.

This post has been edited by U.E. Admiral : 20 February 2006 - 07:08 PM

This topic is not that old.. for this board. I'm curious as to what you were going to say.

Me too.