Why Nebulae?

This has been driving me crazy lately. What's so freakin' important about the nebulae? It seems that the nebulae missions aren't very relevant, overall.
And yet they made it one of the three major strings.Why?

Expanding the boundaries of Known Space, and getting a kickass outfit.

It also paves the way for the F-25 plugin.

Whats so good about that nebulae-penetration device?
And true, it is a good pathway for plug-in makers, but couldn't they have made something more exciting, like discovering some new, hostile race! That would have definitely added some spice to the relatively boring Miranu missions.

I thought it was rather cool at the time.

The major objectives are so named because they have the biggest effects on the galaxy. Two happen to be combat oriented, and one is rather more peaceful but no less significant. Destabilizing two ongoing wars and significantly pushing back the frontiers of known space are rather more substantial than any of the other missions in the game.

Mazca, on Nov 30 2005, 01:14 PM, said:

The major objectives are so named because they have the biggest effects on the galaxy. Two happen to be combat oriented, and one is rather more peaceful but no less significant. Destabilizing two ongoing wars and significantly pushing back the frontiers of known space are rather more substantial than any of the other missions in the game.
View Post

Don't forget the fuzzes.

--gav

Rameretz, on Nov 29 2005, 07:03 PM, said:

Whats so good about that nebulae-penetration device?View Post

I think the game authors added it in to see how many people would get stuck there without a fuel scoop.

And true, it is a good pathway for plug-in makers, but couldn't they have made something more exciting, like discovering some new, hostile race! That would have definitely added some spice to the relatively boring Miranu missions.

Or added a swirly-thing mission, like in Frozen Heart.

The renegades are somewhat hostile. And Miranu interests lie in commerce not dominating planets.

This sounds like an interesting mission to me. Could anyone give me some tips on how to get it? (I'm still trying to figure out how to use this.... I'm used to Nova. 😞 )

Welcome to the boards, Moonshadovv.

You need to head north to Miranu and accept jobs with the Miranu and become a trading member, I cannot remember the first mission, sorry. I'll see if I can find it.

Afterward you will be sent to Station Pybin where you can get the Nebula string. Just make sure you have a fuel scoop when you enter the nebulas.

Good luck!

EDIT: Alrighty. Head to Mira and accept the bar mission. You will get the Nebula Exploration string once you finish the Miranu Diplomatic missions.

This post has been edited by Callide : 31 December 2005 - 03:59 PM

I'm already a member of that trading corporation.... I've been doing several runs for them. I've done the mission to Earth.... Is there another "diplomatic mission" that I need to be looking for?

No, just continue checking the bars in Miranu space. Eventually you will receive a mission in the Station Pybin bar (in the Priat system) that starts the nebula exploration string. And I think you need a deadly, or ultimate combat rating to continue. Are you working with the Zachit? I believe that will boost your rating with the Miranu.

Good luck.

Actually, it begins when a scientist asks you to get something from the Igadzra, then you transport the scientist to a dorment planet below the human renegades, and then....
I won't spoil it.

Take risks in EVO, always take risks.

The way I survived the nebulae was by killing the stupid bounty hunters. Ah, I've never been happier to see them........

This post has been edited by Rameretz : 03 January 2006 - 06:15 PM

Rameretz, on Nov 29 2005, 03:04 PM, said:

...And yet they made it one of the three major strings.Why?
View Post

The launching of a probe from the extreme galactic south in Nova is a similar 'fizzle' really, isn't it? If there were a really good plug that continued the game's culture, had graphics that matched the style of the originals, had text composed by people who could write (and punctuate), and managed to maintain game balance rather than handing out 'killer' outfits...

Ah... It might have been beautiful.