The No Name Bar

Two others in the bar reacted to the name Ace, though not quite as noticeably as Page. Larra nearly fell out of her chair she turned around so fast, and Demon choked on his drool, just loud enough that the woman playing with the knife finally noticed him.

"All right, what was that?" Ta-vora asked, once Page had left.

"Used to know an Ace," Larra muttered, but offered no further explanation. After a few moments of silence she sighed audibly and ran a hand through her black hair. "I'm going for a walk. Wanna do me a favor?"

"What?" the catlike alien asked, slightly suspicious. As he should be, especially with someone like Larra asking.

"Watch Demon for me. Just make her that chick over there doesn't kill him."

Ta-vora glanced over at the large black dog, then back at it's constant companion. "Why not."

"Thanks," Larra jumped up from the table, "If you gotta leave the idiot, just let him know that no one's going to protect him." With a bit of a cheery bounce in her stride, she headed out of the bar.

===============

As filled with diverse characters as it was, even dimensional travelers like Larra couldn't help finding the Rock's flourishing black market interesting. With the air of someone browsing through a garage sale in a perfectly safe neighborhood, she wandered between stalls selling various illegal weapons, ship parts, and pretty well everything else.

Of course, the more interesting merchandise was only available to those with the right connection, but Larra enjoyed browsing all the same. Stopping at a table where a one-eyed pirate sold several models of modified blasters, she picked up a few, checking the sights and weight before moving on. Firearms weren't one of her biggest interests.

Typically, in a place like this, lone women were constant targets for thieves, pickpockets, or any type of assault. However, most victims weren't always one step ahead, like Larra was, craftily thwarting any attempts before they could begin. Most of the time she would have welcomed a fight, but not at the moment.

After spending nearly half an hour examining excellent examples of various tiny or collapsible weapons that could be concealed nearly anywhere, the young woman moved on again.

Presently she left the busier areas and headed off on her own, finding a point where she could stare out from one of the holes in the hollowed out asteroid known as The Rock. In a design plan that Larra wouldn't have expected from pirates, it was coated with heavy glass, showing a view of silent space.

Life had taken an odd turn lately, and she had not had the time to herself she was used to. Usually a social person, Larra did have a tendency to lapse into anti-social moods on the occasion when she didn't get that time.

Demon seemed to know when she was getting into that frame of mind, and would give her her own space for awhile, but she just wasn’t used to the constant companionship of anyone else. Letting her thoughts drift, however, Larra realized that she was beginning to enjoy always being around this mixture of new and old friends.

But as she stared out into space the urge to travel rose again, and she wanted to see new things, and go new places. For the moment, Larra was forced to still the nomadic call. Ta-vora needed help finding his friend (girlfriend, maybe, she wasn’t sure yet), Ki-jara.

Considering she was still alive and they figured out where she was, a rescue operation would have to take place. Larra returned her gaze to the stars, this time focusing on possible plans for something she wasn’t sure would happen. If course a sneak attack would probably be best...but what if....

Content to stay where she was for a while longer, the young Acaran pondered the alternatives for the one thing she count on to be unpredictable. Tomorrow.

------------------
If all the world's a stage, why'd I get the part of the psycho?

OOC: Ace is odd , not old. Just FYI.

Dech's face remained blank. Turning to Ace, Dech grinned like a schoolboy who'd just been given a magnifying glass and a pile of flammable material. "I guess I'd better go install them, hadn't I? Ace, watch the bar for me, please." Offering Nicol his arm, they headed out the door.

Ace looked around the bar, then hopped the counter at the exact same spot Dech always did, eliciting a supressed snort of laughter from several patrons. "Drinks are on the house until Dech gets back!" Ace shouted, much to everyone but The Hacker's delight.

Dech and Nicol made their way unchallenged through the twisting passages of the Rock, until they came to the Longbow 's berth. Dech pressed a button on his wristpad, and the main fighter bay door slid open, revealing several unopened, umarked crates and the shell of the Arrow.

"What say I get her flightworthy and we go for a joyride?" Dech asked, grinning down at Nicol.

"You do that, I'm going to go get a little rest. Securing the weaponry for your little project turned out to be pretty tiring." Nicol smiled, walking towards the crew quarters.

"'Night, then. My bunk's available, if you'd like." Dech watched her go, and sighed.

Turning to his "little project", he began unpacking crates, whistling at the contents of a couple. One contained several highly illegal modified Needle missiles, while another contained the two Blaze chainguns for the nose of the vessel. Dech was planning to pack enough weaponry onto the Arrow that he'd be able to take on a UE cruiser without sustaining any damage.

Looking at the fuselage earlier, he had decided he really didn't like it red. One of the crates contained enough white paint to cover the fuselage and wings, and still have some left over for the forthcoming engine nacelles.

Dech smiled and set to work painting and installing weapons.

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.thegreenfiles.net/")www.thegreenfiles.net(/url)
Proud member of (url="http://"http://thefifthcolumn.blogspot.com")The Fifth Column(/url).
Good things come in small packages.

thegreenfile@gmail.com

(This message has been edited by TheGreenFile (edited 06-15-2004).)

She finally noticed the one drooling all over her legs as her gaze slowly went to the...dog, perhaps? She just stared at him as her face was expressionless before she looked at the mess he had caused. Has she really hadn't noticed that this thing had drooled all over her? Apparently not as a sigh escaped her lips and she wiped some of the drool off her legs but she didn't seem all that faze. Her expression didn't change as everything she was thinking or feeling were hidden behind those two sapphire orbs of hers while she leaned back in her chair and looked at the thing with a peircing gaze. She still held her dagger in one of her hands as she now ignored the man mimicking her and just stared at this new "visitor". She then tossed the dagger in the air until she caught it by the blade and softly patted its head with the hilt before she crossed her arms and leaned back in her chair. She took out a clothe from the bag she had been carrying, which was black also to match her clothing so it might have been hard to notice, and wiped her leg till it was clean. She then raised the dog's head and wiped her knee before she placed his head back down on the side of the chair as she scooted a little over so that there would be room for the dog's head. Then out of generosity, she wiped the dog's mouth from any of his own drool before she placed the now dirty clothe on the table. After that, she looked up at the cieling as she leaned back further in her chair and stared off into space as she lost herself in deep thought once more.
------------------

(This message has been edited by Seraphim (edited 06-15-2004).)

There was a knock at the door, and a delivery boy walked in. "I need whoever's in charge to sign for this package, although what you want with a cleaning-bot in a place like this is beyond me."

At the words cleaning-bot , Demon twitched.

Ace signed, plopped the box on the bar, and began opening it. From amidst the packing peanuts, he pulled a small hover-bot, meant to clean floors automatically. It had been... slightly reprogrammed. Now all it awaited was a cattle-prod and a target.

Ace grinned.

------------------
Proud member of (url="http://"http://thefifthcolumn.blogspot.com")The Fifth Column(/url).

thegreenfile@gmail.com

The young Azdgari walked into the bar he'd been directed too, an air of defiance and nobility hung around him. Unfotunatley, this was in complete contrast to the horrible blue/silver Zachit jumpsuit he wore, and the incredibly thick accent he spoke with, his words coming out in a drawl,

"Yo, Barkeep! Gimmee somthi' strong!" He looked around, and saw a large man, face down on a table with a steaming drink by his hand, "Whatever that guy had!" he shouted gesturing towards the figure.

The barkeeper sighed, but nonetheless took out a bottle that seemed to be made of hull metal. He poured the contents into a glass, which promptly dissolved. "Whups, wrong glass," the barkeeper reached back again, and pulled out a thick mug, also made of hullmetal, and re-poured the drink. Only smoke this time.

The Azdgari shrugged, and downed the drink, with seemingly no effects, when a speaker routed to the Rock's comm system blared,

"WARNING! This is a Zachit raid! A fugitive by the name of 'Lee Hardy' has been identified as entering this system! He has stolen a prototype Zachit craft and a Zachit uniform. He may also be wearing some kind of holographic disguise!"

"Oh ****," said the azdgari, as he collapsed through his table, and flickered. A well built young human was lying on the floor with the words "Yo, I'm Lee Hardy" in glowing blue letters on the scabbard of his sword. I probably shouldn't have put that there

------------------
What if God smoked dope like us,
drove a purple flowered hippie bus...

(This message has been edited by GOD (edited 21-12-2012).)

Natala let some strands of her brown hair fall in front of her face as she thought. Anywhere in Renegade space? Alenia wasn't one to stay out in the edges of civilization. Then again, she hadn't been one to run away, either. The young human looking woman bit down on that thought hard. Her blue eyes briefly swirled with silver as she calmed down again. It wasn't good to let herself get riled about in public.

She finished off her drink again and pulled a small earring off of her ear. As she considered it for a moment she grimaced. If this was working properly, which it always was, Ralano still wouldn't be done yet. He always did take too long to get supplies. Boredom was already setting in again.

Then a species she had identified as being called Azdgari by what people were saying around the room came in. Things quickly got a bit more interesting as the announcement came on.

"Who or what are the Zachit?" Natala mused out loud. Then she considered the message again and she brightened up, one hand sliding to the visible gun on the left of her waist.

"A raid means they're will be fighting, right? That's one way to get rid of boredom." She glanced curiously at the man lying on the floor.

"You might want to work on the camouflage next time. Nice sword though. Discounting the glowing letters I mean."

------------------
I like milk. It tastes good.

(This message has been edited by Rima (edited 06-15-2004).)

Demon lifted his head off the chair, no longer drooling. Truthfully, he wasn't the type of dog that drooled a lot. Cocking his head to the side he stared at the woman for a few moments. Still, she seemed not to notice him at all.

The sound of a cleaning-bot whirring to life caused Demon to take off. Running across the bar, the large dog leapt at Ta-vora, only to transform into a cat in mid-leap. Landing on his lap, the shapeshifter turned around a few times before settling down, though he did keep a wary eye on his old "rival".

"It's no fun to prank people who are too nice," he muttered to himself.

------------------

Dech heard the announcement just as he finished installing the second cannon.

Moments later, his wrist unit beeped, and a message from Ace was displayed.

The Zachit are at it again, Dech. And the guy they're looking for is in the No Name... You might want to get down here.

Nicol came running down the passageway to the fighter bay. "Time to help defend your patrons, honey."

Dech grinned, and they headed off to the equipment locker. Dech suited up in his black kevlar and Nicol put her white armor on. Grabbing two Blaze pistols each, and an old fashioned sawed-off for Dech and Nicol's custom Blaze tommygun, they ran full-tilt back to the bar.

Entering, Dech immediately took control. Tossing a pistol to Ace, he began turning tables over. Two tables went on the bar, sideways, to protect the alcohol and glasses, and the rest were turned to face the door. "Everybody find a good spot, and shoot the first blue and silver thing to come through the door. It won't be long until they figure out hotshot here is in the No Name."

Dech went and stood right next to the door, waiting. Within thirty seconds, someone pounded on the door. "Zachit! Open up!" Dech slid the bolt free, and let the lead Zachit open the door. Stepping back, he delivered a shellful of double-aught buckshot to the Zachit's chest, then dove behind the nearest table.

"Like I said before, folks, hit anything blue and silver!"

------------------

thegreenfile@gmail.com

"Looks like I'll find out what the Zachit are after they're dead then," Natala muttered, her eyes dancing in anticipation as she ducked down behind one of the overturned tables. Both blasters came up as she took a quick look. Two shots of blue energy flew forward, one from each gun. Then Natala ducked her head down as a few of the uniformed aliens turned her way.

She grinned happily at the noises of battle around her. Just when she'd been feeling homesick she got a little of the old familiar feeling back. Her eyes peered over the top, more energy darted towards the uniforms. More Zachit poured in. She scowled when a shot went right by her head. "Hey! Either shoot me or miss me by a long shot. I hate it when shots get that close and don't do anything. Who has aim like that?"

She dodged down behind the table again when a few gun turned her way. "No one has a sense of humor anymore."

"Maybe you shouldn't taunt the enemy then. Natala frowned at the dry voice and cursed herself in xellrian. She had forgotten to take her com off. Or at least turn it off.

"What exactly are you doing Nat? We aren't supposed to be getting in any fights here!" Ralano's angry voice continued to berate her.

Natala replenished the energy in the guns as she hissed a response. "I'm defending myself and the bar I found. There aren't many places with good alcohol and when I find one I'm certainly not going to let it get shot up just because a some authority in this galaxy is all prissy because someone stole their tasty little secrets. And I was bored."

She calmly reached up one hand to her ear and turned off the communicator, wincing as she caught the beginning of the shrieks from the other end. She checked her energy supplies and rejoined the fight, barely acknowledging her kills as they fell.

------------------
I like milk. It tastes good.

(This message has been edited by Rima (edited 06-15-2004).)

As the battle raged on behind him Page still sat at the bar, sipping his drink. Various holes had been shot into the bar near him, but nothing had hit him. The patrons were holding the Zachit off, but Page sences they wouldnt be able to for long.
A stray shot hit his glass, shattering it, and spilling the contents all over.
Page stood up and turned around slowly, head raised slighty. he shook it down quickly, making his glasses slide down his face a bit, revealing an open amber eye, and another barely open.
"GET DOWN," Dech yelled from his cover.
Page snapped his finger, and a burlap roll, about 6 feet long flew into his hand. He walked forward slowly, through the overturned tables, the blaster fire seemingly missing him.
He whipped the roll around revealing a long, elegant silver blade. The hilt of his sword of kings was a sparkling black, and the keyhole shaped obsidian gem inlayed in the hilts center, glowed a bright lapis lazuli glow.
Zachit soldiers shot at Page franticly, trying to kill him before he closed the gap. The other patrons could see the blaster fire be deflected.
When Page was in close enough he whipped his sword around, cutting off the barrels of the Zachit's rifles.
There was a moment of silence.
One zachit soldier drew a combat knife and charged at page. He was soon without a head, and nothing more than a corpse.
The sea of Zachit soldiers began to back out of the bar ad out of the corridors.
"Get the **** out of here and I'll consider not killing all of you."
The soldiers turned and ran, back to their ships, away from the man who single handedly destroyed one of their stations.
Page sighed, and lit a cigarette. He headed back into the bar, and sheathed Antaries in its burlap scabbard.
"Hey Cat man, Lets go to the Azula, and see if we can get anything done."
Ta-vora nodded wistfully and motioned for Demon to follow.
The three left the bar.
------------------
OOC: For all the newer people I have a picture of Page, not wearing his poncho, and holding sword, picture him with lles gravity defying hair.
Posted Image

------------------
Valence, Always aiming for the stars...
Then realizing he should have shot the bodyguards first...

(This message has been edited by Valence (edited 06-15-2004).)

For a moment, she was brought back to reality as she heard some gunshots perhaps going off in the bar or some sort of fight starting. She watched for a few moments as even this didn't seem to faze her. Few shots here and there flew past her which made her raven black hair sway some but she made no attempt to move. Her attention for a moment went over to the man who had been mimicking her since he hadn't done anything for a while so she was a little curious if he would do anything now that there was a fight in the bar. She had noticed that the dog had gone away but she didn't seem to really care as her gaze roamed the bar now to watch the fight for a few, silent moments. She really didn't seem like a talker at all nor did she seem concerned about anything except her own personal things. She lazily shrugged her shoulders as she watched the fight until it looked like it had finished just as quickly as it began through slightly closed eyes as it looked like she was ready to go back to deep thought once more.

------------------

(This message has been edited by Seraphim (edited 06-16-2004).)

Lee groaned, and began to get up when he heard someone scream, "Die you Zachit *******!" He then decided to pretend to be dead. This wasn't difficult, as the drink he'd consumed seemed to be pure hyperspace fuel. It probably was, anyway I should stop moping about, one side or another's gonna shoot m'soon

He slowly slid his hand down his side to his sword, and it's incriminatin words. He switched of the letters, and carefully pulled the weapon from it's sheath. He placed the blade to his teeth and subvocalized, "Giznah" , the sword began humming. Vibration from the blade carried up through his teeth,

"Personal defence combat AI, prototype version, activated. How's it goin' Lee?" the balde replied to him, in his own voice, "Hm, I sense weapon fire, and Zachit comm traces. Suggested actions: Side with those fighting the Zachit. Pull a small catch at the top of my hilt, and I'll turn into an autofire energy rifle." Boy was he glad he stole that thing from the Azdgari.

Lee rolled away from his table, ducking behind the bar, and heard someone shout, "Shoot anything blue and silver!" It sounded like a good plan. He pulled out the sword, and pulled the catch. the stylized weapon unfurled, curling around his upper arm and shoulder, placing a sight in front of his eye, "Cool."

the Zachit glowed bright in his vision, as well as his own suit, and he found a trigger by his hand. He fired. He also spectaculally missed the Zachit, and cut a table in half, "I'll pay for that!" He cried before traing the sight on the invading Zachit, and slowly squeezed the trigger...

Vhum! Vhum! Vhum! Three times in qick succession, each taking down a soldier. He was definately glad he stole that thing from the Azdgari

------------------
What if God smoked dope like us,
drove a purple flowered hippie bus...

(This message has been edited by GOD (edited 21-12-2012).)

She let out a soft, short yawn as she watched this new fight scene that was going on. It would have to end sooner or later since the number of Zachit soldiers was dwindling now as all these people were fighting them. She watched as a couple went away except for some that decided to stay. One including the mimicking man across from her and she just sighed lightly as she watched silently.

Why was she even here? This place held no value or purpose for her, or so she thought. She should be going and moving on by now but she had come across the place so had decided to rest for a while. But rest didn't seem to be on the menu, not since this fight broke out because of some man.

She was just glad that none of the Zachit soldiers had truly noticed her. Well, she was at the farthest and darkest corner of the bar sitting at a table along with that man across from her. And the fact that she wore black clothing only helped in her being unnoticeable.

Who knew if any of these Zachit soldiers would recognize her at all and she didn't want to take that chance so she stayed put in her seat. Besides, she didn't feel like getting into trouble and killing any one. She never felt like it but sometimes trouble followed her wherever she went. At least hopefully it won't find her here in this bar.

Sighing, she leaned back in her chair as she pushed back some locks of her raven black hair behind her ear while sapphire orbs watched on. There was no need to get involved. Besides, these people surely could take care of these soldiers with no sweat unless they weren't very good in fighting but she didn't think that by what she has already seen.

------------------

Originally posted by Seraphim:
** <SNIP>

OOC: What's the point in having a character at the bar if they dont interact with anyone or anything? I'd suggest being a bit more open minded, and a whole lot less anti social. If it doesnt add to the bar than its just a waste of a post regardless how good the writing is. No offence intended.

I have nothing to add for now, sorry for all OOC will post later..

------------------
Valence, Always aiming for the stars...
Then realizing he should have shot the bodyguards first...

Challenges the occupants of the bar to finish it in less than 4 months.
Good luck.

------------------
True, but you're the first one who's put it right there for me to get, I'm too lazy/stupid/forgetful to go looking for them.-Rickton
You know you are the king of procrastination when you dont start a project until after it's due.
No car, no license, no cash, no life. Coincidence?

OOC: emaniac, what's the point? So you think your Boozerama Bar is the only good one. Fine, but why don't you just stay there instead of going into other bars, telling everyone you don't like them, although noone actually cares? It appears that you prefer bars where it is just “A shoots B, C slices A's head off, B regenerates and kills C and so on. Fine with me. Well, the Albatross was like this, too, but then evolved into something better. And this bar doesn't need to evolve anymore. So if you don't like it, why don't you stop making a nuisance of yourself and simply stay away?
OOC2: Should anyone be interested, (url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/starlight_dev/.Pictures/ta-vora1.jpg")here(/url) is an image of Ta-vora. It was drawn in watercolors by Annemarie Metzenroth.

Before leaving the bar, Ta-vora glances back at the strange woman who sits silently at a table, apparently unaware of anything going on around her. He wonders how she could have survived this long, being self-focussed like this.
Outside of the bar, a few Zachit soldiers run around, but they seem to evade Page after his demonstration.
Demon seems to be happy in his cat shape, sitting on Ta-vora's shoulder.
“How can these Zachit be stupid enough to go to the very heart of Renegade operations just because of a single being?” the Ka-nuth asks.
“You would probably infiltrate a heavy guarded Voinian base alone just to rescue your friend.” Page answers.
“Hm... good point.”
A few minutes later they arrive at the Azula.
“Well, I hope you get your systems back online.” Ta-vora says to Page when they enter the cargo area.
Page nods and goes towards his ship.
The Ka-nuth then turns to the black cat on his shoulder, which just gets ready to jump off.
“And Demon, please, try to behave yourself. Karee are patient people, but even we have our limits.”
“You won't let them hurt me, would you?” the shapeshifter replies with a grin.
“Larra would probably be mad at me if I would. But on the other side, I can't be everywhere.”
With that, he leaves the area, heading for the regeneration chamber.

Once again, Ta-vora's mind travels through the galaxy, searching. He had felt a familiar presence the last time he did, but back then it eluded him. His now deeper matrix holds greater energies, which he hopes would enable him to finally find what he is searching for.
After an eternity, that actually only lasted for seconds, he again feels the presence. Weak, as if blocked by something, it too seems to search. They touch
Who are you?
I'm here to rescue you.
You can't rescue me. I don't even know where I am.
We found the chip you left aboard your ship. We will find the location.
Who
are you?
You really don't recognize me?
It can't be! It is another trick, I know! You won't succeed that way! Forget it!
Wait!

But it is too late, the presence is gone. Ta-vora tries to trace back the emission, but it is too weak, he once again looses it somewhere in Voinian territory.
She seemed disturbed. Apparently, someone is trying to break into her mind. But how? Voinians do neither possess any psionic abilities, nor technologies. Mysterious
Once Ta-vora exits the chamber, he is met by one of his crewmen.
“Kre, there's something you should know.”
“What is it?”
“We were recharging one of our matrix traps, and well this black cat ”
“Oh no!” Ta-vora groaned.
He rushs into the laboratory, the crewmen behind him. Several scientists are standing around a big red crystal whith a black cat frozen solid inside.
“It was not our fault,” one of the scientists says, “it just jumped right into the energy field ”
Ta-vora activates his wristcom.
“Larra, can you hear me?”
It takes a while until she answers.
“What's wrong?”
“Well we had an accident with Demon ”

------------------
The lie is a truth, too. The truth of the one who believes it.

(This message has been edited by Ta-vora (edited 07-01-2004).)

She sighed lightly as she knew she wouldn't find her answer soon so she decided to see if there was any reason to stay long in this bar. She looked back to the man who had been mimicking her and raised a brow as he hadn't done anything else other than that since he sat down across from her.

She raised her hand and so did he. She uncrossed her legs and he did the same. Any other person would have found this very annoying but she found it somewhat amuzing that he even thought about trying to socialize with her. Even in a way some people would find very annoying and offending.

Her expression clearly asked why he was even bothering her. She was all but sure she had barely made any sign that she actually noticed him and yet he was still there. Across the table just staring at her as she stared back at him. He hadn't said anything either and she tilted her head in confusion while she raised her right hand and moved her fingers in an almost hello kind of gesture to see if he would respond or not.

------------------

(This message has been edited by Seraphim (edited 06-19-2004).)

Seraphim, perhaps I missed it, but did you ever post your character's name? I only read “she” all the time.

------------------
The lie is a truth, too. The truth of the one who believes it.

"Who wants to be an official employee of the bar?" Dech asked. "I've got a really important job for someone... Pays well, too.

------------------

thegreenfile@gmail.com

OOC: Sorry for being inactive, but it’s final exam time for me :frown: This is probably pretty bad, but I don’t have much time.

Busy selling their illegal goods, no one in or around the busy black market seemed to notice the young woman who had just broken into a smooth run towards the docking bays.

“What happened?” Larra asked, speaking into the wristcom she had” borrowed” from Ta-vora quite awhile ago. She had almost forgotten that it was there.

”Well...” Ta-vora explained what had happened, slightly hesitantly, as if he expected Larra to explode and start screaming at him.

She said nothing in response, but picked up her speed. Larra had known something was wrong before the Karee had contacted her because of her mental connection with Demon. Out of nowhere, the shapeshifter had begun yelling a senseless jumble of words in a panic, though the phrase “help me!” had shown up quite a bit.

Reaching the Azula, the Acaran skidded slightly as she turned a tight corner and headed up the exit ramp. A member of the crew met her there and showed her the way to the laboratory. Within moments, she was standing beside Ta-vora, staring at the red crystal and it’s prisoner.

Everyone in the room looked over at Larra, all of them worried or nervous to some extent. The scientists were the worst, wondering how she would take it.

Her face blank, Larra brushed her hair back out of her face. Then she grinned. It was kind of funny, seeing Demon trapped in that crystal. Just the thought was met with a barrage of curses from the shapeshifter’s mental voice, completely unheard by everyone but her.

Don’t worry, I’ll get you out, she assured him mentally.

Larra began to walk in circles around the red crystal, studying it. Finally, she turned to Ta-vora and his scientists. “I sure hope this thing, ” she gestured to the crystal, “isn’t important, because we’re going to have to break it. Unless you have a better idea, that is.”

“Breaking it would probably hurt Demon,” Ta-vora observed, looking at the way the frozen cat was positioned.

Larra looked thoughtful for a moment, then, “He’s a shapeshifter, remember? Once I calm him down he can change to something very small. That would also make the crystal hollow and easy to break. Now, do you have means to break it here, or do we have to go somewhere else?”

------------------