Are EVO ships balanced?

Hello all, been a while since I've made a topic, I'm a long time player of EV games, and must've gotten override a dy or two afterit was released. I havent played it in a while since its been overshadowed by Nova and work, but i remember the ships being strangely balanced.
I had a pilot who destroyed a weakened voinian cruiser as a shuttlecraft. After he got a deadly rating from that one farfetched kill i turned him into a kamikaze pilot who would go up against any ship in a Shuttle craft. That was a little too farfetched, as any of you might have guessed. So after meeting an unfortunate death time and time again i decided to take a step up.
I bought a Krait, aptly named "Kamikaze." Unfortuanetly that too was nothing more than its namesake. After a million failed attmpts I finally decided to get a better ship. You'd think I'd take the sensible route and finally get something a little stronger, but I still dreamed of having the ultimate fighter. Next was a standard UE fighter. Its name was "KILLEMALL!"
Now I was all giddy after getting my new ship so I jumped to Dogovor and waited for the first battle hearty ship to come my way. To my suprise the intimidating voinian frigate was no match for the over manuverable UE fighter. Infact I was at 75% shields.
Now in EVC you at least had to have an upgraded Argosy to do any damage to capitol ships. And it was near impossible to destroy any warships with a fighter. Nova is no different, infact they added a whole middle class of faster manuverable mini warships to prevent anything close to that happening. Not to mention the fact that Shuttles are easier than ever to destroy.
Anyway, what do you all think?

I guess your right... with the big ships being really slow but with enough guns to destroy a planet.

and the small ones that hardly damage a capital ship but can fly in circles around it until it shoots you with a turrets.

I made 10 million credits looting Pirate Carriers in a Viper. 3 FPCs and a solar panel. Case-In-Point.

I don't know, I don't really see how EVC and EVO are that different, except in EVO your default guns for the ships you're mentioning is the blaze cannon -- which has less range and thus is not suitable for pulling off the Monty Python Maneuver (or some variation of it), which is the only real way to take down a ship like a Voinian Cruiser.

In short, I disagree. What you're saying still has merit though -- I'd say that EVO did a much better job of putting together variations in weapons and such (doing more damage to armor or shields, fast/slow shots, varying ranges, etc.).

I don't really see it... In EVO 1.0.0 I spent as much time in a Crescent fighter as I did in EV with a Lightning. In fact sometimes I found it easier to take out the largest ships in Lightnings than I did to take out the largest ships in Crescent fighters.

EVO 1.0.2 made a difference there because it gave many ships afterburners. I haven't played since and probably wouldn't enjoy it as much now that ships of the same variety as your own can go faster than you can.

But I don't think it's totally unreasonable that a Voinian frigate can fall for a skilled UE fighter pilot. Such feats are referenced in the game, and since many missions expect you to destroy ships of that class almost regularly, it stands to reason that it shouldn't be too difficult even in a fighter.

Birderman, on Feb 28 2005, 01:57 PM, said:

I guess your right... with the big ships being really slow but with enough guns to destroy a planet.

and the small ones that hardly damage a capital ship but can fly in circles around it until it shoots you with a turrets.
View Post

That's just impressive.
Definately much harder than killing a Voinian frigate with a UE fighter. Considering Neutron turrets are slow and dont fire quick, its easier to manuver around. A Pirate carrier is ompletely different. i'm curious that the QLB's didnt take your viper down.
Anyway UE fighters have 4 blaze cannons, more than a UE destroyer and not to mention enough space for rockets. The only reason it's considered a fighter is because its small, fast, has 2 jumps, little to no cargo space and can be put in a bay. But that amount of firepower is a bit much for just a fighter dont you think?

I remember there was a challenge once where members had to beat the whole game in a Krait - I'm not sure who actually did it, but I do remember someone mentioning that they had. It's more skill I think.

Shrout1, on Mar 2 2005, 03:41 PM, said:

I remember there was a challenge once where members had to beat the whole game in a Krait - I'm not sure who actually did it, but I do remember someone mentioning that they had. It's more skill I think.
View Post

Hmmm I managed that with a Krait and with a Shuttle back in the Crew of One challenge. I'm not so sure it's 'more skill'. You just really have to get to love the cloaking device, and you have to get Dospect Armour, which in such a ship tends to require the Zidagar Systems Upgrade extra space.

It's definitely harder in a Krait as it has less space, no armour and the shields don't regenerate, but with the Monty Python technique for Capital ships and the cloak for packs of fighters, it's doable, just not on Strict Play :).

As for 'balance', I've always been really impressed with that in EVO vs. EVC and EVN, especially the way in which it makes you think about which weapons to use where. As for ships, I think the fighters serve their purpose well and the capital ships really feel big and tough. In EVC the fighters could be annoying and the capital ships were even tougher, while in EVN nothing seems to be able to last very long in my experience. Things like the railguns really ruin balance as I think about it.

in EVN u can't get close to an auroran warship in a fighter without a cloak - the railguns have too much impact and range.. Fighters are slower to acclerate in EVN, you need an afterburner which is a complete drag to use in a fighter. The 'middle' class ships are as powerful as warships, yet as fast as fighters.. hmm thats not really very balanced.

Azdgari, The main reason is because the best ship that I have created was an Enhanced Arada (I stole it in one of the missions) upgraded with a Shield Enhancer and Generator, Dospect Armour with all the Speed upgrades and 4 swivel Phase cannons

The thing that this ship has over the Azdara is that with this ship you can do missions that require you have some cargo space. Which is the big problem that I have with the Azdaras. With this Ship I have gone Head to head all of the Superships in the game and only the Disco Bison gives me any trouble anymore.

I like creating Invincible ships without cheating ๐Ÿ™‚ and without the Azdagari's and Voinians help I have not been able to do so.

**Please pardon any spelling or grammer errors.

This post has been edited by AradaGuy : 04 March 2005 - 12:33 PM

MartiNZ, on Mar 2 2005, 11:23 PM, said:

Hmmm I managed that with a Krait and with a Shuttle back in the Crew of One challenge.

Ugh, I can't even remember what I flew in that contest. That's probably a good thing though.

Opalius, on Mar 10 2005, 11:10 AM, said:

Ugh, I can't even remember what I flew in that contest. That's probably a good thing though.
View Post

Heh, yeah maybe, but it was called a 'challenge' for a reason. We should run another one some time :). I'd try it in a UE Freighter ... now that would be scary :unsure:!

That could be really fun. It's been ages since I've played EVO. Long since I've been on to these forums as well.
Haven't even got any of these games anymore. Might be worth getting Nova again.

Opalius, on Mar 11 2005, 01:20 AM, said:

That could be really fun. It's been ages since I've played EVO. Long since I've been on to these forums as well.
Haven't even got any of these games anymore. Might be worth getting Nova again.
View Post

Yeah ... if you mean getting Nova to play Override :). I've never been that big a fan of Nova itself - story and missions were much less exciting and it felt more like a book than a game ... I could go on and have done in long past threads on the Nova board - but I think I'll always just keep coming back to Override.

I've just sold my iBook and am getting a new PowerBook - will look into playing it then but ideally I'd like to get a really cheap older Mac and run OS 9 with many games :).

Though the ships look like plastic they are carefully ballanced, every gรถv having an innate weakness.

Every faction, in one way or another, fights a two-front war. Even when ships are superior they always have a fatal flaw; too expensive, too few in number, too slow...

The voinians have superior numbers, better ships, and limitless resources; but they are slow and have no counter to guided weapons.

The zidigar slaughter the Igadzra with their ECM's but are in turn massacred by the Azdgari's speed. The Adzgari are in turn weak to the Igadzra's heavy defenses and weapons payload.

The UE is faster than the voinians, but their resources are limited--even more so by the renegades.

The Zachit contend with two renegade bases, and the constant threat of exodus by the northern colonists and traders.

The Emalgia are weak, but resourceful and plentiful in number. Barely outmanuvering their former captors. They struggle between defense and offense, never commiting too much to either.

Great care went into the Override Universe, we should respect that.

~vIsitor~, on Mar 11 2005, 03:42 AM, said:

-Snip-
View Post

Pardon me?
Sorry but I think you took this wrong, I've played override before and i'm very aware that The people at Ambrosia work very very hard to give us these products, but from what you've posted it doesnt seem like you've read the first post...

One thing I liked about Nova is that it was a little more futile to try and take on big ships in fighters. But when you think of it, the capitol ships in Nova, or any EV Game are much bigger than all of the fighters (duhh). And isnt it a bit strange that a UE fighter can hold more fixed guns than a UE destroyer?
Or that a crescent fighter can hold 4 phase cannons, same as a crescent warship (I havent played override in a while correct me if I'm wrong).
Fighters were designed to do serious damage in that game, and even Kraits if their in your blind spot can deal some serious damage. I just

And just for the reccord this is in no way me trying to criticize EV Override, or the ASW staff, it's just me trying to get thoughts from other poster's on this board. This is moreso a question/comparison topic than anything else.

Valence, on Mar 11 2005, 01:42 AM, said:

Pardon me?
Sorry but I think you took this wrong, I've played override before and i'm very aware that The people at Ambrosia work very very hard to give us these products, but from what you've posted it doesnt seem like you've read the first post...

One thing I liked about Nova is that it was a little more futile to try and take on big ships in fighters. But when you think of it, the capitol ships in Nova, or any EV Game are much bigger than all of the fighters (duhh). And isnt it a bit strange that a UE fighter can hold more fixed guns than a UE destroyer?
Or that a crescent fighter can hold 4 phase cannons, same as a crescent warship (I havent played override in a while correct me if I'm wrong).
Fighters were designed to do serious damage in that game, and even Kraits if their in your blind spot can deal some serious damage. I just

And just for the reccord this is in no way me trying to criticize EV Override, or the ASW staff, it's just me trying to get thoughts from other poster's on this board. This is moreso a question/comparison topic than anything else.
View Post

right, but the UE destroyer has much much more space, and can hold 3 turrets - where the UE fighter can hold none - so overall the destroyer holds a whole lot more guns. It is possible to take out capital ships in override, but it is still faster and easier in a warship. Kraits doing serious damage? u r kidding right?

Pad of Heck, on Mar 11 2005, 12:25 PM, said:

Kraits doing serious damage? u r kidding right?
View Post

Override is more or less possible to complete no matter what ship you fly. Kraits are funny ๐Ÿ˜„

It is rumored that 'madly skilled pilot', as shayborg calls him, Ankh Starrunner actually beat the Voinian Dreadnought in a Krait.

It's possible to beat the Dreadnought in a UE Fighter, if you know what you're doing. In fact, it's possible to take on a whole fleet of them if you know what you're doing.

Pad of Heck, on Mar 11 2005, 11:25 AM, said:

right, but the UE destroyer has much much more space, and can hold 3 turrets - where the UE fighter can hold none - so overall the destroyer holds a whole lot more guns. It is possible to take out capital ships in override, but it is still faster and easier in a warship. Kraits doing serious damage? u r kidding right?
View Post

As far as kraits doing serious damage, have you ever had 3 caught behind you when you're a slow ship, even after the few secconds it takes to dispose of them 9 blaze cannons can do alot of damage.
Also correct me if i'm wrong, but I remember the original version of override you could pick either turrets or cannons, I personally havent played the Nova engine port because i dont have the patience to wait for my 56k modem to dowload such big files. But for some reason i remember never being able to have both 3 guns and 3 turrets on a UE destroyer
Regardless its been ages since i've played any EV game, and I should really look into them more.

PS: As far as the dreadnought issue, I've lasted 2 minutes in a shuttlecraft, this is with the dreadnought in my screen, the fighters are actually the only thing that killed me.