Galaxy of Strife

"It works... it really works!" the scientists cheered. They, stationed in Priat, were recieving signals from a test relay in Zanat, in near real-time, all using an array no larger than a fuzz. "micro-Faster-than-Light (mFtL) communication is a success!"

"What next?"

"We'll need to produce quite a few of these relays and incorporate them into the miniature sensor bouys we've already developed. Once we network them together, we'll have an advanced warning network we can use to give us advanced warning before any renegade raids!"

"How long will that take?"

"It'll be a while, we've got to produce that many buoys, distribute them, and then activate a network. Could be quite a while." (OOC: 4 RTD)

"Perhaps we could speed things along with the help of the Zachit. They're benefiting from mFtL too, after all."

"Don't worry, way ahead of you. The head of the Ministry of Science has already sent a communication to the Zachit asking for their help in this matter."

----------

In DSN-3930, the framework for a colony on the surface of the lone world in that system, re-named Taja by the colonists, could be seen taking shape. A full 200 Miranu ships buzzed here and there, delivering goods and personel, helping in the construction effort, and partaking in the spectacle that was the first Miranu colony to be built since 310 YBP. It wasn't much to look at yet, but the colonists working to build it certainly had high hopes.

----------

Professor Priashi looked over his new instructions from the Miranu Science Ministry - he couldn't believe it. "Two government assignments, and less than a month off in between!" he said in shock.

"What is it this time?" asked his curious research assistant.

"The Peace Corps want to develop a Nebula Penetration Device."

"What's that?" his student inquired.

"It's a sensor upgrade that should theoretically allow a ships sensors to cut through the tremendous interference of the Ji Nebula," Priashi explained. "If it's successful in eliminating enough interference, we should be able to lock onto the locations of hyperlanes - and begin to explore the nebula."

"Wow... that's amazing," the student said, clearly taken by the idea.

"I'm glad you find it interesting," Priashi said with a grin. "Because I'm taking you with me to help work on it."

His research assistant just stood there, in a state of shock. "Better pack your bags and get some rest," advised Priashi. "We leave tomorrow morning before sunrise."

----------

Research:

1. mFtL communication: Complete (took 3 days)
    New Project: Nebula Penetration Device - to be completed Sun. Feb. 20th (5 days total)
  2. Colonization of DSN-3930 - to be completed Sun. Feb. 20th (7 days total)
  3. Zachit slot: currently being used by RMA for... umm... something. See his post for more info.

Fleets:
No changes

Production:
All ships produced today have been stationed in Nadej
Advanced Warning Network will be operational in northern Miranu space on Sat. Feb. 19th

This post has been edited by Thunder : 15 February 2005 - 01:03 AM

Yelts System
The battle began as a division of U.E. Destroyers on the right side of the fleet started firing their hunter missiles at two Turncoat groups. On the bridge of the main Destroyer, the Steadfast, Captain Cavaticus frowned at the radar screen.
“This is funny,” she said, looking up. “Those ships are releasing these little capsules of sorts...the missiles have stopped targetting the enemy vessels.”
The first officer, a veteran of countless battles, looked up from his terminal.
“Probably an interferance device of some sort. Use the hunter missiles as rockets; they’re better than the old rockets against renegades, anyway.”
A warning was issued fleet-wide before long, but it took a while for the entire fleet to get the idea, wasting valuable time and projectiles.
The Admiral ordered that the battle resume. U.E. Fighters darted inwards and outwards, taking out many Kraits and several Helians that didn’t react quickly enough. Unfortunately, needle missiles came in from all sides, shredding multiple fighters and one or two destroyers that blundered into the area. A Carrier exploded, and the United Earth fleet started a temporary retreat to get their bearings again. Upon fighting their way out into the asteroid belt, the fleet regrouped and, in a full diamond defensive formation, with the Destroyers surrounding the Carriers, began a slow move towards the planet Gorky. The next move would be up to the maruading renegades.

U.E. Losses:
1 U.E. Carrier
6 U.E. Destroyers
38 U.E. Fighters

Renegade Losses:
12 Turncoats
21 Helians
65 Kraits

Cir Takan looked up in shock as a voice came over the comm. Past the glass in the scoutship’s cockpit, past the floating asteroids, and in front of the strange nebula was a single ship...
“Is it made out of wood?” It looked as if it was, for the hull showed very few signs of being metallic, and even rust wouldn’t be able to create such a brown hull. Cir gave himself a moment to ponder the entire idea of a wooden spaceship, and then he thought back to the voice. It must have come from the vessel. The language he heard was the Voinian one, and since all new cadets luckily had knowledge of the Voinian language, he managed to decipher the message.
"Greetings. I represent the Emalgha. We assume that you are enemies of the Voinians, as are we. We greet you with joy."
Cir responded.
“Greetings. I am Cir Takan of the United Earth Exploration Corps. The government I originate from is indeed at war with the Voinian Empire. How do you do?”
------
United Earth Fleet and Construction
199 Carriers
729 Destroyers
1110 U.E. Fighters
700 Freight Couriers
100 Scoutships
Per Day: 5 Carriers, 23 Destroyers, 30 Fighters
Earth: 4 Carriers, 10 Destroyers, 20 Fighters (All work will be done temporarily on station construction.)
New Taranto: 2 Carriers, 13 Destroyers, 20 Fighters
Paaren: 3 Carriers, 10 Destroyers, 10 Fighters
United Earth Force Locations:
Grand Armada (Commanded by the Director)
37 U.E. Carriers
141 U.E. Destroyers
250 U.E. Fighters
Earth Force (Controlled by Admiral Rivers)
15 U.E. Carriers
22 U.E. Destroyers
78 U.E. Fighters
Defense Fleets:
Huron Fleet
10 U.E. Carriers
30 U.E. Destroyers
50 U.E. Fighters
Thoso Fleet
10 U.E. Carriers
33 U.E. Destroyers
50 U.E. Fighters
Valos Fleet
13 U.E. Carriers
35 U.E. Destroyers
60 U.E Fighters
Yandros Fleet
20 U.E. Carriers
50 U.E. Destroyers
100 U.E. Fighters
Bakka Fleet (Commanded currently by the Protector)
20 U.E. Carriers
50 U.E. Destroyers
100 U.E. Fighters
DSN-1810 Force
5 U.E. Carriers
10 U.E Destroyers
20 U.E. Fighters
Centauri Fleet
13 U.E. Carriers
75 U.E. Destroyers
100 U.E. Fighters
Saalia Fleet
13 U.E. Carriers
75 U.E. Destroyers
100 U.E. Fighters
Sol Defensive Fleet
43 U.E. Carriers
200 U.E. Destroyers
180 U.E. Fighters
United Earth Peacekeeping Force
5 U.E. Carriers
23 Destroyers
30 U.E. Fighters

---PROJECTS BEING DEVELOPED---
Mini-Hunters. ETA: Two days.
Missile Jammer. ETA: Two days.
Earth Station. ETA: Four days.

This post has been edited by Consul Bob : 17 February 2005 - 04:04 AM

"Come on, get moving, get moving!"

Crewmen rushed through corridors, carrying crates. Surprisingly, none were dropped, although a good deal were shaken quite vigorously.

"Peter, just a day left. Give us a couple of hours to assemble the materials; the better part of the construction will take about midnight Dresden time to early morning."

"Got that. We're leaving now."

-----

The Seydlitz disengaged from its docking bay, and was followed by its fleet.

"Vector two-seven-zero, five-by-five. Destination DSN-4611. Watch yourselves, boys."

It arrived at the assigned "hyperspace jump point", and went off, its fleet following behind.

X'el sighed, shaking his head slowly. The negotiations in the South Tip were not going nearly as well as those in Feviry had. Khaz had been unable to secure any sort of agreement with those at Tibidat. He probably ought to send a more experienced diplomat next time, and not a Templar. Nevertheless, the operation against the Renegades was still being put in motion.

"Report on fleet status?"

Executor Asai looked up from the galactic map. "A new tactical wing has just joined the 3rd Armada. We have now sufficient strength to begin the operation."

X'el nodded. "Detach two tactical wings from the 1st Armada at Mark... send them to Motif. Do the same with the 3rd Armada. That should give us an armada of four tactical wings." He paused for a moment. "Put Second Executor Ujo in command of this new 4th Armada. Send Executor Shaei to take his place at Mark. In the meantime, have Khaz return to Motif, and send a diplomat to Hrinix. We need to have their permission in order to do anything in Nifal."

Asai nodded, but X'el just shook his head, sighing again and leaning over the large galactic map displayed before him. "We should never have outcast them..." he muttered.

"What was that, Executor?"

"I'm just saying I wish they were more trusting, and weren't worried we were about to embark on some malevolent invasion of the South Tip."

"Then what are we doing, if I might ask, Executor?"

X'el looked up at Asai sternly. "Expanding our power and protecting these people at the same time. By even coming back to them this signifies some forgiveness on our part. I'm the last person who wants a war with the Strandless anyway..." X'el paused for a moment, nodding slowly to himself. "Carry out the orders immediately. Stay here to coordinate the operation. I'm going to get a ship..."

With that, X'el walked out of the room, followed by a large contingent of Marine guards. He then boarded the Rising Fury , the command vessel of the two tactical wings that were being sent to Motif. The fleet promptly departed for the distant Motif, where X'el had a special plan in mind...

------

Meanwhile, Templar Khaz had returned to his post on Motif. However, an Igazra and three Igaras had already departed from the planet. Onboard was Ambassador Thael Iorya. She was one of the few trained diplomats the Igadzra Directorate had, and had just arrived. She was now being sent to Hrinix in the hopes that an agreement could be reached with the strandless...

------

In the Hrinix system, the Igazra burst out of hyperspace, followed by the three smaller Igaras. Immediately, it began heading towards the planet, but Thael ordered the shields at only 25% power, and weapons uncharged. Thael hailed the planet, asking for their leader for an immediate meeting, disregarding the use of a voice distortion program.

"Greetings, citizens of Hrinix. I am Ambassador Thael of the Igadzra Directorate. I come in peace and hope to speak with your leaders immediately on a very important subject."

------

Research Projects

Particle Beam -- 2 RTD remaining

Graviton Beam -- 1 RTD remaining

Phase Crystal Analyzation -- 2 RTD remaining

Outpost T'akra Construction -- 2 RTD remaining

------

Naval Statistics

Current Ship Count
250 Igazras
750 Igaras

Production (per RTD)
10 Igazras
30 Igaras

Defense Fleets
Igadzra, Ersadt, Innirian, Mark, Nujja, Mordus, Norhis, Motif, Feviry
15 Igazras ( 135 total )
45 Igaras ( 405 total )

1st Armada -- Mark
20 Igazras
60 Igaras

2nd Armada -- Fighting in Stror
30 Igazras
90 Igaras

3rd Armada -- Igadzra
15 Igazras
45 Igaras

Innirian Defense Detachment -- Innirian
10 Igazras
30 Igaras

4th Armada -- en route to Motif from multiple locations
40 Igazras
120 Igaras

OOC:A no-post again, not feeling well.

============

Research

Zachit
Engine enhancements - ZF & ZA
ETA:3 days 15/02 - 18/02

Miranu
Electronic Counter Measures
ETA:Complete 14/02 - 21/02

============

Squadrons is 2 Z.Aradas, 6 Z.Fighters
Group is 10 Squadrons

Niwom
1Group
Dewe
3 Groups
Nadej
3 Groups
DSN-6116
1 Group
Zachit
4 Groups
Hizdriar
1 Squadron
Turgon
1 Squadron
Zeldair
1 Squadron
Tmidor
1 Squadron
Xrima
1 Squadron
Sumo
1 Squadron
Eiribi
1 Squadron
Garren
1 Squadron
Turgon
1 Squadron
Sumo
1 Squadron
DSN-1770
1 Squadron

3 Fighters detached from Zachit fleet to Miranu envoy.

Production
30 Z.Fighters, 10 Z.Aradas, located in Zachit.

OOC: Since I haven't posted in four days, this post is just research and ship construction. A proper post will come tonight (after I write it).

===============

Stalker missile project completed
Engine upgrade completed
Arada refit completed

RESEARCH INITIATED
Title: Crescent Fighter, Lazira and Crescent Warship refits
ETA: Saturday, Feb. 16

New Ship Construction
4 Crescent Warships
8 Laziras
24 Aradas
160 Crescent Fighters

DSN-2131:
11 Crescent Warships
24 Laziras
85 Aradas
550 Crescent Fighters

Hrekka:
10 Crescent Warships
24 Laziras
76 Aradas
410 Crescent Fighters

Arada Heavy Fighter (my refitted version)
Shields: 600
Armor: 100
Speed: 400
Acceleration: 400
Turning: 150
Weapons load:
4 Swivel Phase Cannons
1 Dispersal Rocket Launcher + 15 Dispersal Rockets
2 Stalker Missile Launchers + 20 Stalker Missiles

This post has been edited by asriel : 15 February 2005 - 03:39 PM

Rays gazed out of the viewport with incredulity. What was wrong with everyone? 'How do you do?'? He pulled himself together and responded.

"I'm doing just fine, thank you. You... y'all aren't by any chance in dire need of help against the Voinians? I mean, just a thought." Rays hoped that this Cir Takan would take note of the sarcasm dripping from the message and actually tell him something similar to 'take me to your leader'. Actually...

"Take me to your leader, if you please."

----------
Updated Ship Announcement:
Drone Factories will now produce 20 regular Drones and 16 Explosive Drones daily. Kelmaon will produce 3 regular Drones and 1 Explosive Drone daily.

Ship Count:
Emalghion :
478 Fighters
317 Warships
92 Attack Drones
16 Explosive Drones

Kelmaon :
3 Warships
6 Fighters
11 Attack Drones
1 Explosive Drone

----------
Research and Development
Thermite Enhanced Projectiles: ETA: 1 Day (Wednesday, February 16th)
Drone Factories on Emalghia: ETA: 1 Day (Wednesday, February 16th)
Explosive Drones: ETA: Done (Tuesday, February 15th)
New Tech
Rocket Drone:
Replaces the cannon on the regular drone with a Rocket launcher, containing 3 rockets. Also creates a variant of drone. ETA: 1 Day (Wednesday, February 16th)

This post has been edited by grunadulater : 15 February 2005 - 05:51 PM

Tibidat System

After the new 4th Armada, made up of four tactical wings, arrived in Motif, Grand Executor X'el and a single squadron (5 Igazras, 15 Igaras) continued on to Tibidat. After a long trip in hyperspace, they arrived.

"Raise the shields to 25%, " X'el ordered, standing on the bridge and watching the sphere of Tibidat come into view. "Keep weapons powered down. Make no threatening moves. Hail the planet."

The nav officer obeyed immediately as Lieutenant Thran gave orders to the communications chief. "Comlink established, Grand Executor," he reported.

X'el nodded then spoke up. "This is Grand Executor X'el of the Igadzra Directorate Navy. I humbly seek an audience with your leader. It is important that I speak with him, or another representative, as soon as can be arranged. My ships will hold their position here, and I will land with a single Igazra. I await your response."

X'el sighed as the comlink was closed. "Now, we just wait to see what they say..."

The new Igadzra Battlestation in orbit was beginning to take shape, although the frame was already present and the station was intended to be operational within a few days it would take weeks for all of the artillery to be installed.

"Ahh, Razel! I trust the rennovations are comming along nicely?"

"Indeed, things are progressing smoothly even without my supervision."

"Is that so? How about you go help work on a synthetic for the phazed crystals?"

"I would, but without the crystals on-hand I can do nothing to find a substance with similar properties, not without something to refer to...the Igadzra have only begun to examine the crystals themselves and have little data to give me thus far."

"If that is the cas then why don't you help Kjole to sift through the old MTC records, I'm shure they tried to create an El Cheapo Phazed crystal way-back-when."

"I doubt we'll find anything but I'll go look, anything to keep myself busy. Else I'll write another opera!"

"Riiiiiiiiiiight..."

"I'll inform you if I find anything..."
---
Fleet Status:

12 Crescent Fighters: Standing By
4 Aradas: Ferrying Equipment to Outpost T'akra
2 Miranu Couriers: Ferrying Equipment to Outpost T'akra
---
Research:

General Facilites Upgrade: Adds minimal outfitters (better than standard flea-market), and a small shipyard. Allows minimal retrofitting when nescessary.
ETA: 2-3 days

Capital Complex, Tibidat

The globe on Gręthul Urvön’s desk flashed once again and he breathed in before admitting the guest. He prayed it wasn’t Zigrabar and for once his prayers were answered.

“Commander you have to come and see this.” It was a half-Zidigar, half-Homeless mongrel. However, even with that strange gene-line he was one of the most trustworthy people in the military. That was why he was in charge of the scientific research front, but he wasn’t very smart which was why he wasn’t in charge of a ship.

“What is it Grűthner?”

“It’s the Miranu woman. She and the Azdgari have come up with something that you absolutely must see.”

“Oh really? You realize the dealings with the Igadzra, the Renegades and a hundred other issues have my attention right now?”

“Yes I respectfully acknowledge this Commander, but this development could manage to turn back even the Igadzra! Coupled with the explosive research this project could make it so that the Strands cannot threaten us anymore.”

“Okay, I’m interested. What is it?”

“I uh can’t tell you ”

The Commander was getting very frustrated. It was bad enough that everyone else was hindering him; he didn’t have time for these games. “Why not?”

“The Azdgari She said she’d kill me if I didn’t get you down there to see it.”

That was different. He generally tolerated quite a bit from his scientists because he needed them, but death threats to a respected officer was slightly different. “All right, it appears she’ll need discipline. Lead the way Tryk.”

The Tryk led the way through several hallways and dozens of security doors. Some were opened with security cards, others with retinal scanners and still others with manual punch codes. Gręthul was completely lost by about the fourth door, even though he was the Commander he didn’t know where the science facilities were, almost no one did.

After about ten minutes of walking, they arrived at a final security door that opened into a massive arena of hurrying scientists. Originally, the scientists had been kept isolated, but the competition that groups of scientists created dramatically increased the technological improvements, and besides that occasionally they actually cooperated. According to what Grűthner told him on the way down the Azdgari and Lœthe were cooperating wonderfully.

“Here, follow me.” The military man hurried through the scientists, who seemed to intentionally get in his way wherever he walked, but there was no malice. Perhaps they just enjoyed teasing him, he was an easy target. In any case, he tripped over almost a dozen scientists before he reached a particular “workshop.”

There, the Azdgari and Lœthe were chatting amiably together while working with a rather large computer. The Azdgari obviously heard him approaching even through the din of the other scientists and smiled a toothy, predator’s smile at him. “Ah, the lunchmeat brought the Commander. Good boy.”

Grűthner almost dived as he backed away and said that he had to go check on another scientist and he’d be right back. After he’d left Lœthe hit the Azdgari on the shoulder. “Be nice Ray! He’s been very well behaved.”

The Commander almost pulled out his gun without thinking, no one touched an Azdgari without their permission and even then it was most often fatal, but “Ray” just laughed. “Don’t be so frightened for her Commander. She can get away with more than you could dream. Now she really wants to show you what she’s been working on, I recommend you pay attention.”

It would have been impolite to ignore the presentation he came all the way down to hear so he listened attentively as the Miranu explained. “One of the experiments I worked on with the Miranu a few years back was declared a failure and the results were opened up to the public. I always thought that we were almost to the point of success when the government shut us down, but we couldn’t do anything about it. The miners really didn’t need an all purpose mass magnet anyway.”

“A mass magnet?”

“Oh, gravity attracts all nearby objects. A mass magnet acts the same way but directionally. It can attract all objects within a certain range to a limited extent. A tractor beam is one example. The mass magnet we designed will pull in any small debris within a few kilometers or until too much debris is blocking the magnet from it’s target. It’s perfect for mining, just pull it in and scoop it up.”

Before the Commander could say anything “Yes, Lou. It’s just perfect. I’m going to go talk to the Commander about something else you go back to work on our other project again. C’mon Commander.” She forcefully took his arm and dragged him to another booth. “We’ve installed her system on several ships for test along with something else I had her design just for the ‘fun’ of it. You’re smart enough to know that shields produce heat. The materials that hit a shielded ship liquefy and then become cool enough due to the low temperature of space around them that shell.”

“Extra armor, outside the shields, but what about weaponry getting from the inside out?”

“That was the ‘fun’ project. It uses the targeting on a turret to create a temporary slide as the magnet stops in one small area and intensifies in another pulling along so the shield clears. Places where guns and missile launchers are will need to be left open in order to fire through, but that’s obvious. One bad thing, Commander is that the shields need to be hot enough to trap the materials. I’ve got it set up so that the magnet only runs while the shields are full to avoid damaging the shields instead of reinforcing them.” She turned to the screen on the table and pressed a button. “Watch.”

A ship flew up and activated shields; the little sparks that it caused were visible at the close range provided by the camera feed. A moment later a swarm of particles started encasing it until the ship was completely surrounded by a liquid wall that slowly solidified around it. The ship was completely camouflaged for all intents and purposes, the energy scanners barely picked up anything more than background noise, until the ship started moving.

The rock-like Arada continued to fly over to a Lazira, fully armed and the two ships started to battle. Only phase weaponry was used and both ships had the standard equipment. After a while the Aradas shell started to drift away, the shields must have been damaged so that the heat dropped to low once the phase weapons had drilled a whole through it. Amazingly the battle ended with the Arada with more than half shields and the Lazira’s shields down and armor halfway gone. The Arada flew off again and sat for a few minutes while it’s shields regenerated and the process started again.

“That’s it. The defense of each ship is boosted by almost sixty percent. The actual armor is about twenty percent of a ships standard shielding as bigger shields produce more heat and create a thicker shell. Simple really, but she’s brilliant enough to work out the invention I just dealt with the basics. I only ask one thing of you to do with this.”

“What?” For some reason the Commander was mildly disturbed by this even though he should have been ecstatic.

The Azdgari woman lunged straight at him and grabbed his neck in her hand. Even though he was easily twice her mass and probably strength he was scared nearly to death. “Kill the Azdgari. I want every one of those bastards dead. Don’t make it quick, don’t make it painless and I want prisoners. I want to teach those ######s what they taught me and all the other women. I’ll keep them alive for years, no decades and they’ll never be able to sleep. Their nightmares will go beyond anything they ever did to any of us. I’ll force them to eat their own eyeballs, or even better their tongue, and let them watch as I let all manners of beasts toy with them however they deem fit. I’ll emasculate them, I’ll burn them and then I’ll heal every wound and start all over again.” She let go of his windpipe and backed away and while he was choking added a final sweet sounding comment. “That’s all I ask. As long as you’re their enemy, I’ll use that pretty little Miranu to build you toys to destroy them. You will fulfill your part of the deal.”

“Y ye yes! And now I really must be going, other things to attend to. Tell Lœthe that she does good work and it will really help the mining.” He turned around and walked off as fast as he could without actually running. A few seconds later he met up with Grűthner again. “I just about lost my breakfast. That was not a good way to start the day.”

“And you wonder why I want a transfer? She is scary.”

“Yes, I think I’m going to go deal with the Society, it sounds like fun in comparison. I’m just about willing to jump on one of those Igadzra ships and get the hell out of here. Except then she’d probably hunt me down and ” He cringed mentally at the thought and started walking faster along the winding hallways.

“Hey, Commander! That’s the wrong way!”

Asari Desert. Tibidat

“Those little fools have waited long enough to see me. Guard, open the door.” The guard quickly complied and hurried out of the way and the Azdgari walked into the room holding the Renegade ambassadors.

The Azdgari walked in and sat lazily across the table from the envoys, there were no guards and the ambassadors had never been disarmed, but he didn’t seem concerned. In fact he looked positively complacent as he slouched on the bench and rolled a knife up and down his hand “Well, well what do we have here. The Renegades must have really wanted to piss me off. An Igadzra, a coward and a fat man.” He laughed mirthlessly. “Well, it doesn’t look like you’ve come for the wonderful entertainment we offer here at Tibidat. So you must have come for the ritual suicide by Azdgari.” He pulled out two more knives and started juggling them carelessly. “My prices are pretty good, all I ask from Renegades is their life and whatever’s in their wallet. You won’t be needing it anymore. I guess I should introduce myself before I finish you off, it’s only polite. I’m Yetraitnoshkaresa and you’re all dead.” Before anyone in the room could blink he caught the daggers he’d been juggling and tossed them all in one motion, each one towards one of the envoys heads. Even faster then that he drew his single laser pistol and shot three blasts and each dagger disintegrated and the burning hot dust hit each victim in the face.

He chuckled dryly again at the mixed looks of fear and anger on their faces. “You bastards are all very lucky that they’d kill me if I hurt you. I wouldn’t recommend drawing that gun though, friend because I’d shoot your arm off before you could even get it pointed. And what the hell is that smell? Did one of you go and wet yourselves? C’mon you aren’t three anymore.”

Project Summary:

Replace standard Dispersal Rockets with modified warheads and timers and equip all vessels with Mass Magnets: 2RTD
Continue research on Veldegrass chemical: Indefinite
Start new LuRay project: Indefinite

This post has been edited by Paranoid : 16 February 2005 - 09:18 AM

Just ship production and research for Tuesday.

Research and Development
Crescent Dragon
Estimated time to completion: four days

Crescent Hawk
Estimated time to completion: two days

Fleet positions:
South and near Mavs, keeping away from the human systems
5 Crescent Fighters

Mavs System:
12 Crecent Warships
25 Laziras
91 Renegade Aradas
587 Crescent Fighters

DSN-6107 System:
5 Crescent Warships
12 Laziras
44 Aradas
318 Crescent Fighters

Groned System:
4 Crescent Warships
10 Laziras
29 Aradas
131 Crescent Fighters

New ship construction:
1 Crescent Warship (assigned to Mavs)
2 Laziras (assigned to Mavs)
8 Aradas (assigned to Mavs)
50 Crescent Fighters (assigned to Mavs)

This post has been edited by Selax : 16 February 2005 - 01:03 AM

Ersadt System, Six Days Previously

Once again Flight Officer Norin was on his routine scouting run of the Ersadt System, this time however, things were a little different. Looking around the system he couldn't help feeling that something was a little off. As he watched the numbers streaming across his he was filled with a sense of freezing dread. Where the hell are they? The entire armada that had jumped in a few days ago was gone, and you could bet that it wasn't back to the Igadzra core worlds. He'd need to report this to Sector HQ in Vastan as soon as possible.

High Orbit above Outpost Sekarim, Stror System

"Sir, if the scouts were right the Igadzra should arrive within the next few minutes. "

Captain Vehn Dorja nodded slightly in acknowledgment, but was otherwise silent. One of their routine patrols from Sirabor had come in two days ago with news that an Igadzra strike force with dozens of ships had launched from Ersadt and was on it's way to attack his forces. He studied the sensor reports that his scouts had brought for what had to be the hundredth time in the last few days. The Igadzra were going to bring in a force that he couldn't hope to compete with in sheer firepower. Ordinarily this would be a time to retreat, regroup, and counterattack in greater numbers, but he didn't have that option. The objective of the Igadzra attack was undoubtedly to destroy the new colony on Stror, and that would be a disaster of unimaginable magnitude.

He could see that his bridge crew was beginning to look a little bit restless. Mentally chastising himself for appearing so weak before his crew, Dorja turned to look at his first officer and smiled. "Damn Iggies, we've always said they'd be late to their own funeral... now their proving it." His first officer returned his grin, and he could hear the suppressed mirth among the rest of his bridge. They were good men, but times like these could try anyone's spirits. It was the responsibility of a good commander to forge the raw steel of their faith into the weapons of war.

Captain Dorja activated the Comm and keyed it to a systemwide channel. "This is Paladin Vehn Dorja, by this time you all know what we'll be up against when the Igadzra fleet arrives. They outnumber us, and we have no guarantee that anyone is coming to reinforce us. All we have is our faith, and from that, our courage. I tell you now that there will be no retreat from Stror, there will be no surrender. When the Igadzra come, they will meet more than Zidagar ships and Zidagar arms... they face our determination. In Zid's light we walk... and by his grace we will be victorious!"

With that he killed the Comm and signaled for the fleet to join formation and prepare for battle. It was only a few minutes after that when the Igadzra fleet entered the system. In an instant the bridge was alive with officers passing information and brining critical systems to full readiness.

"Sir, sensors report a total of Thirty Igazras and Ninety Aradas. I'm also getting reports that their Aradas are performing at a significantly higher standard than they have in the past. They must have undergone a significant upgrade."

Captain Dorja watched as the enemy fleet came into formation and began to accelerate. "Very well. Conn, signal the fleet to break orbit and assume battle formation."

"Aye, aye... fleet acknowledgment recieved sir."

"Then by all means Ensign, engage."

In a uniform body the Zidagar fleet broke orbit. Each Zidara launched it's two fighters, which immediately took up flanking positions on either side of their mother ships. Captain Dorja watched as the Igadzra fleet formed itself into a cohesive sphere, with each Igazra escorted by three Igaras around them. Cursing to himself he realized the immediate strength that the enemy formation gave them. This commander was no fool, and wasn't going to risk having the Zidagar draw his fleet into pieces, or let it be harassed and contained by the faster Zidaras. This was going to get bloody.

Working deftly on his tactical display, he drew up a counter formation and transmitted a new plan of battle over encrypted channels to the rest of the fleet. "Helmsman, put us in front of the rest of the fleet... I'm counting on you to make sure those SAEs don't turn us into a flaming wreck." Vehn returned the boy's confident grin, though he wasn't sure that he felt what he was expressing. Clearing his thoughts, Captain Dorja looked back at his strategic display. His Zidaras had formed into what was basically a pyramid, with it's point facing towards the center of the Igadzra sphere. Directly behind the Zidaras were six squadrons of twelve Zidagar fighters that had been pulling escort duty before news of the impending attack had arrived.

The Zidaras accelerated to full speed on a straight course for the center of the enemy fleet. As they came within SAE range the Igadzra began firing, and a huge barrage of missiles sped towards the Zidagar formation. Captain Dorja watched as at least a dozen SAE missiles spun closer and closer to his ship. Sweating, the young helmsman's response was to try and coax even more speed from the already fully powered engines. He took in the course of each of the missiles, and aimed the ship on a course along a line through the very center. At the last second, the SAEs directly in front of him and closing at insane speeds he juked the ship into a hard arc left, throwing the pursuing missiles into a pursuing course behind his Zidara. Behind them the remainder of the Zidaras were following suit. They weren't able to dodge every SAE, but the ships that were damaged managed to fall back into the later ranks of the formation. All of this had happend in the space of a few seconds, and by this time they were within moments of coming within phase weapon range. Vehn's Zidara aimed itself straight for the leading Igazra, and the helmsman began counting down the seconds until they came within primary weapons range of their target.

"Phase range in Three... Two... One... Mark!"

In that instant two things happend. First, two dispersal rockets streaked out from the Zidara's twin launchers. Second, the Igazra opened up with it's phase turrets, and at the same time the Zidara's own turrets, as well as their deadly phased beamer lashed out against each other's shields. In the next second the Zidara broke off at a course 135ş in reverse of it's previous heading. Immediately thereafter the two rockets found their target and the rest of the Zidagar fleet echoed the maneuver performed by Captain Dorja's flagship. In the space of the next few seconds each Zidara had launched it's rocket salvo, and was speeding away from the Igadzra fleet. About 75% of the fleet followed him to the left of the Igadzra fleet, while the others split and went 135ş to the right. Many of the Igazras had returned dispersal rocket fire, but the abrupt course change on part of the Zidaras meant that most escaped major damage. A few hadn't been so lucky, and combination SAE, rocket, and phase weapons turned the small ships into fiery slag. On orders from Captain Dorja the Zidaras had primarily targeted the smaller Igaras in the fore of the enemy formation with their rockets, and nearly a dozen of them had been destroyed by the massive barrage.

While the Zidaras had drawn most of the enemy initial fire with their frontal assault, it was the Zidagar fighters that would deal a majority of the damage to the Igadzra ships. The 90 fighters launched from the Zidaras split into squadrons and attacked the 6 Igazras surrounding the point ships, making a pass against one on the way in, and attacking another as they sped after their carriers. They were immediatly followed by the 72 independent fighters who concentrated their firepower on the most heavily damaged of the Igazras. The speed of their attack meant that most escaped unharmed, but a handful were destroyed when they were caught in the full fury of multiple Igadzra ships. It was a dangerous gambit that Captain Dorja had committed his forces too, but the bravery of his fighter pilots resulted in the death of three of the mighty Igazras.

By this time the Zidagar ships were being chased by several salvoes of SAEs, and their only hope was to keep moving. As soon as the two columns of Zidagar ships had put a bit of distance between the Igadzra sphere and themselves, they once again threw themselves into a hard arcing turn, this time back towards each flank of the enemy formation. At each flank the Zidaras repeated their earlier dispersal salvo tactic, destroying several more Aradas at cost of two of the most heavily damaged of the Zidaras. Following this united salvo, the two Zidagar formations pursued divergent strategies. On the left flank, where the largest Zidagar force was attacking, half of those Zidaras that had so far taken the most damage pulled out of the Igazra's range. The Zidaras in the group that were close to full strength, sixteen in total, closed in and attacked five Igazras on the periphery of the sphere's flank. As the Zidaras concentrated on their targets, nearly 100 fighters formed a sort of shifting perimeter in an attempt to keep the rest of the Igadzra fleet from concentrating their fire on the Zidaras. The success of this strategy depended on the actions of the ships on the right flank. With ten Zidaras and about 40 fighters they were doing their best to harass the Igadzra right flank and keep them from closing ranks to protect the ships being attacked on the other side.

Captain Dorja barely managed to stay in his command chair as his ship was rocked by an SAE hit. His strategic readout was flickering at this point as the generators struggled to keep up with the strain of the punishment they were taking. One thing was clear though... his fleet wasn't going to be able to keep this up much longer. At the moment the fighter screen and the harassing ships on the right flank were keeping the Iggies too busy to surround his ships and blow them all to hell. That success was only momentary, however, and it wouldn't last too long. For now they were holding their own, but as he watched one of the Zidaras was caught between two Igazras and their Igara escorts, destroying it in a matter of seconds. Nearby, another Zidara, it's shields failing and it's hull venting atmosphere, came around and accelerated full speed into a collision with an Igazra, destroying both ships. At the same time four other Zidaras converged on a different Igazra, and using concentrated fire from all four Phased Beamers, they completely destroyed it, losing one of their number.

With the superior numbers of the Igadzra it was only a matter of time before he would have to disengage his fleet and retreat back to the planet. Zid help them all when they followed him there... because he wouldn't have anywhere else to go.

Zidagar Fleet
32 Zidaras (13 Destroyed, 6 Heavily Damaged, 16 Moderatly Damaged, 10 Lightly Damaged)
104 Zidagar Fighters (58 Destroyed)

Igadzra Fleet
24 Igazras (6 Destroyed, 2 Moderatly Damaged, 13 Lightly Damaged)
63 Igaras (27 Destroyed, 14 Moderatly Damaged, 9 Lightly Damaged)

Zidagar Naval Forces
656 Zidaras
1270 Zidagar Fighters

Fleet Distribution

Zidagar - 56 Zidaras, 100 Zidagar Fighters
Vastan - 100 Zidaras, 280 Zidagar Fighters
Terapin - 90 Zidaras, 178 Zidagar Fighters
Plogok - 70 Zidaras, 150 Zidagar Fighters
Fluron - 40 Zidaras, 75 Zidagar Fighters
Qerid - 40 Zidaras, 115 Zidagar Fighters
Saffera - 60 Zidaras, 75 Zidagar Fighters
Twyus - 30 Zidaras, 75 Zidagar Fighters
Neeg - 25 Zidaras, 75 Zidagar Fighters
Pozdag - 30 Zidaras, 75 Zidagar Fighters
Stror - 45 Zidaras, 72 Zidagar Fighters

Inquisition Forces
Neradag - 70 Zidaras

Zidagar Research and Development

Stror Colonization Initiative --- 5/8 RTD --- A Task Force will be detached to the Stror System, there to immediately begin colonization of it's three habitable moons.

Once the industries and other facilities of the new colonies have been established they will produce another two (2) Zidaras per RTD. A military outpost will also be established for the maintenance of a continued Zidagar presence in the system.

Plasma Warhead Development ---5/6 RTD--- A highly advanced warhead that can inflict significantly greater damage against both shields and armor than current technology. Will be implemented in three new delivery systems tailored for different tactical situations.

Zidagar Carrier ---?? RTD--- Zidagar variant of the Crescent Warship designed to provide heavy fighter transport and support capabilities.

---

Stand-Alone Generators ---5/5 RTD--- < Completed> A highly efficient stand alone Fusion generator that can perform a variety of high energy tasks. It's most immediate application will be to eliminate the Phased Beam's need to use a ship's fuel reserves effectively allowing for continued use of this weapon. The generator is hooked into the ship's main power grid however, so it can be used for other tasks such as temporarily providing boosts to shields or engines. Due to the strain placed on the generators, they can not perform two of these tasks simultaneously.

"Guidance lock confirmed."

The left-hand section of the reactor shell was slowly manuevered in position by eight automated arms.

"Coming together...looking good."

The reactor shell came together. Hermann gave a thumbs-up down the hall.

Peter nodded. "Starting up..."

The Hahnium/Thorium reaction system came online. Blue coolant fluid came in through several tubes linking from the top, and the reactor "window" brightened up.

"Started. Power levels at 102 percent...fluctuating between 100 to 105 percent. Hermann, you and Ryan did a good job here. Do you think you'll be able to run two more research projects?"

"Just one, Peter. It's going to be worth it though: a sensor improvement. Shouldn't take long...about four days or so."

----- -----
1. Sensor Improvements: -10 Interference. ETA: 2/20/05
2. -EMPTY- (Reason: Restock of research material required.)

"I'm doing just fine, thank you. You... y'all aren't by any chance in dire need of help against the Voinians? I mean, just a thought."
Cir glanced at the comm, starting to wonder why anyone with a wooden ship would talk to someone that way. Even Cir Takan could see that the voice was obviously sarcastic. Cir had the casual idea of firing his blaze cannons at it, just to see if it would stay in one piece during the attack, but put the thought out of his mind. A friendly ally is better than an enemy, even if it would be fun to see what happened when a wooden ship blew up.
"Take me to your leader, if you please."
Cir blinked and then, looking up from the terminal, responded.
“I’m afraid that isn’t possible. My scout vessel took many jumps going up here. I can say that it would probably be better to go to wherever your capital is, if it is close, anyway. Neither of our ships could possibly have the fuel required to get close to Earth.”

------
United Earth Fleet and Construction
204 Carriers
752 Destroyers
1140 U.E. Fighters
700 Freight Couriers
100 Scoutships
Per Day: 5 Carriers, 23 Destroyers, 30 Fighters
Earth: 4 Carriers, 10 Destroyers, 20 Fighters (All work will be done temporarily on station construction.)
New Taranto: 2 Carriers, 13 Destroyers, 20 Fighters
Paaren: 3 Carriers, 10 Destroyers, 10 Fighters
United Earth Force Locations:
Grand Armada (Commanded by the Director)
42 U.E. Carriers
164 U.E. Destroyers
280 U.E. Fighters
Earth Force (Controlled by Admiral Rivers)
15 U.E. Carriers
22 U.E. Destroyers
78 U.E. Fighters
Defense Fleets:
Huron Fleet
10 U.E. Carriers
30 U.E. Destroyers
50 U.E. Fighters
Thoso Fleet
10 U.E. Carriers
33 U.E. Destroyers
50 U.E. Fighters
Valos Fleet
13 U.E. Carriers
35 U.E. Destroyers
60 U.E Fighters
Yandros Fleet
20 U.E. Carriers
50 U.E. Destroyers
100 U.E. Fighters
Bakka Fleet (Commanded currently by the Protector)
20 U.E. Carriers
50 U.E. Destroyers
100 U.E. Fighters
DSN-1810 Force
5 U.E. Carriers
10 U.E Destroyers
20 U.E. Fighters
Centauri Fleet
13 U.E. Carriers
75 U.E. Destroyers
100 U.E. Fighters
Saalia Fleet
13 U.E. Carriers
75 U.E. Destroyers
100 U.E. Fighters
Sol Defensive Fleet
43 U.E. Carriers
200 U.E. Destroyers
180 U.E. Fighters
United Earth Peacekeeping Force
5 U.E. Carriers
23 Destroyers
30 U.E. Fighters

---PROJECTS BEING DEVELOPED---
Mini-Hunters. ETA: One day.
Missile Jammer. ETA: One day.
Earth Station. ETA: Three days.

Stror System

The Prophecy shuddered momentarily as a dispersal rocket impacted into their shields. Auzha braced himself but Executor Ithon barely moved. "Damage?" he inquired.

"Minimal," Auzha replied. "Shields at 89%."

The battle raged on. The Igazras continued to target the larger and easier to hit Zidaras with their SAEs, but their ammunition payload wouldn't last forever. The fleet moved to confront the greater portion of the Zidagar fleet, firing dispersal rockets into the enemy fighter screen with great effectiveness. Unfortunately, the Igazras lacked sufficient turning to get in a lot of good shots.

The Prophecy shook again, but again Ithon remained standing. "Order damaged vessels to the center of the formation to recharge their shields. Move fresh ships to the outer areas of the sphere immediately."

As damage vessels retreated into the relative safety of the sphere's center, new vessels moved forward to take their place, preventing them from being picked off. The harassing vessels were preventing the Igadzra from completely crushing their main force. Quickly, Ithon made a daring move.

"Halt the advance against the larger portion of the enemy fleet. Double back on the smaller force and throw everything we have at them, but don't turn our backs to the Zidagar... keep firing and holding them off!" Ithon shouted, Auzha quickly yelling out orders to the rest of the fleet.

To the surprise of the smaller Zidagar force, the Igadzra suddenly charged them, throwing everything they had at the opposing vessels. The Prophecy itself darted forward, coming face to face with an enemy Zidara. "Fire dispersal rockets and open fire with all phase turrets," Ithon ordered, growling in a low tone as the Igazra opened up on the enemy warship. Suddenly, a phased beamer lanced out into the Igazra's shields.

"Full power to forward shields, continue firing. Call in our escorts."

Immediately, three Igaras pounced on the Zidara, bombarding it with phase fire. The Zidara attempted to retreat, but by then it was too late, and promptly exploded in a fiery blast.

"Redistribute shields strength. Have our escorts keep in close, and give them what supporting fire you can," Ithon ordered as an Igara in front of the Prophecy exploded. The Prophecy opened up with a salvo of rockets, which flew straight into two attacking fighters. Both exploded instantly, and other Igazras moved to protect the flagship.

The sphere had basically shifted against the smaller Zidagar force, which was being quickly overwhelmed. Taking heavy losses, they scattered, and the sphere shifted again to meet the second force which was much larger and just now charged them again. However, now the Igadzra could mostly ignore the harassing force, and concentrate solely on the larger group.

"They like hit and run attacks..." Ithon muttered, mostly to himself. He made a thoughtful noise, then looked up at the holographic display of the battle. "Order our ships to concentrate their fire on one ship at a time. If we spread out our firepower, they aren't going to stick around long enough for any of their ships to be destroyed."

Now, as groups of Zidagar ships charged the Igadzra formation, the Igadzra responded only by targeting a handful of them. The concentrated fire was more than many of the Zidagar vessels could take. Their shields failed in a brief and barely visible flash, which was followed by multitudes of small explosions wracking the hull as a fusillade of phase pulses shot into them. The ships promptly exploded, and the Igadzra turned to face the next vessel.

The SAE reserves were beginning to run low, and the Igadzra began concentrating their remaining fire on already damaged vessels, but Ithon knew that the Zidagar could not hold up the constant use of phase beamers. They used up a great deal of fuel, and soon they would be useless. Ithon also knew that without beamers, the Zidagar's only heavy ordinance was the dispersal rocket, which did little against the massive Igazras. Given time, the Igadzra need only to simply overwhelm the enemy. Already the spread was flattening out slightly, putting more pressure on the flanks, and continued to press steadily forward.

Igadzra 2nd Armada
21 Igazras (3 Destroyed, 3 Moderately Damaged, 12 Lightly Damaged)
59 Igaras (4 Destroyed, 1 Heavily Damaged, 15 Moderately Damaged, 10 Lightly Damaged)

Zidagar Fleet
21 Zidaras (11 Destroyed, 10 Heavily Damaged, 8 Moderately Damaged, 3 Lightly Damaged)
65 Zidagar Fighters (39 Destroyed)

------

Igadzra Central Command

First Executor Asai nodded slowly as he read that the fleet in Stror had engaged the Zidagar. He only hoped Ithon could manage to destroy the enemy fleet, and actually hold it. Reinforcements couldn't arrive for quite some time, and Asai was unsure about the numbers of enemy ships Igadzra intelligence had estimated. What if there was a lot more? Asai decided to worry about other things.

Third Executor Shaei then approached, holding a large data pad. "What's this?" Asai asked, taking and beginning to skim the contents of the pad.

"The latest research and development report. We've completed work on the new Graviton Beam. Although we were unable to get the ideal range, the current version will nevertheless be quite useful," Shaei replied.

Asai nodded, looking up at Shaei. He'd read the detailed report later. "What's the range and effectiveness?"

"Improved effectiveness. Range is roughly eighty to eighty-five percent of regular phase weaponry range. The current plans involve placing one on an Igara and three on an Igazra. However, we're holding out on actually refitting our ships until the Particle Beam is completed. You should receive the research report on that within the week. As part of the refit, all phase weaponry will be removed, as will Dispersal Rockets. The Seek-and-Eliminate Modules will remain until the new torpedo design is completed."

Asai leaned back against a console. "Ah, yes, the torpedo. Research has begun then?"

"The development team finally selected a basic prototype model to develop. They're using as much of the SAE technology as possible to reduce research time. Nevertheless, there are many improvements that we expect. Speed, accuracy, and so forth. They've also planned to include variable sizes for warheads and launches, in order to better suit the ship and what the warheads will be used for."

Asai nodded again. "Very good, Shaei. Keep me updated, and send another report to Executor X'el in Motif."

Shaei nodded, turning to leave but pausing for a moment. "As well, we're almost finished with analyzing the Phase Crystals. Once we're done we'll send a report to Feviry. There should be several potential applications for the crystals."

"Good. Thank you, Shaei," Asai nodded, turning back to the galactic map as Shaei walked back out to other assignments.

------

Research Projects

Particle Beam -- 1 RTD remaining

Graviton Beam -- COMPLETED

Halcyon Torpedo -- 5 RTD (new project, still needing approval)

Phase Crystal Analyzation -- 1 RTD remaining

Outpost T'akra Construction -- 1 RTD remaining

------

Naval Statistics

Current Ship Count (not counting losses in Stror)
260 Igazras
780 Igaras

Production (per RTD)
10 Igazras
30 Igaras

Defense Fleets
Igadzra, Ersadt, Innirian, Mark, Nujja, Mordus, Norhis, Motif, Feviry
15 Igazras ( 135 total )
45 Igaras ( 405 total )

1st Armada -- Mark
20 Igazras
60 Igaras

3rd Armada -- Igadzra
25 Igazras
75 Igaras

Innirian Defense Detachment -- Innirian
10 Igazras
30 Igaras

4th Armada -- Motif
40 Igazras
120 Igaras

This post has been edited by Captain Carnotaur : 16 February 2005 - 04:06 PM

OOC: Because of OOC reasons that he's unable to avoid, Paranoid is unable to post a reply to X'e's arrival at Tibidat at this time. So, he's given me permission to pretend it happened, and he'll post about it later.

------

After briefly speaking with a representative on Tibidat, X'el departed for Motif...

------

Motif System

Second Executor Ujo Akii, the almost legendary victor of the Second Battle of Innirian, sighed, slowly walking forward to the holo-projector placed in the center of the command bridge. He was onboard his flagship, the Premonition , an Igazra that was a veteran of almost as many battles that Ujo had been in. It floated far off from Motif, holding it's position, watching the system. In the distance, the station orbited the planet, with the regular contingent of five Igazras and fifteen Aradas deployed in a patrolling formation. Of course, now there was also an even larger presence in the system: 35 Igazras and 105 Igaras held their post in a high geosynchronous orbit above Motif.

Ujo, which was his last name actually, for in Igadzra culture the family name comes first, was on the old side for an Igadzra. Fifty-nine human years, to be exact. He was a grizzled veteran of countless conflicts, but the one that stood out the most was the Second Battle of Innirian, in which he lead an outnumbered Igadzra force against a much larger force of Zidagar. Amazingly, and although his ship (not the Premonition , which was under repair) was literally torn to shreds, he drove off the attackers. Then they came back, and Ujo transferred to another ship, which was also torn to shreds. This occurred once more before the battle was over.

As well, Ujo's other less well known act was to defeat the rebel insurgency that unexpectedly started up on Innor. Destroying most of the rebel ships, along with most of the rebels themselves, Ujo then had to hold off the Zidagar fleet that soon arrived. Fortunately, he managed to hold the system. Later on, he tracked down several more of the Rebels, and reacquired the vessels they had captured.

Ujo was a longtime friend of X'el. Ujo actually helped the slightly younger X'el (who was fifty-seven currently) with his studies and training at the academy. Ujo could have probably been Grand Executor by now, but he wished to remain a Second Executor and command on the smaller scale, like he always had.

Ujo sat down slowly in the bridge chair, reaching out his hand to take the data pad from his lieutenant. Ujo looked it over. He had arrived just within the last few hours with the last of the forces that now made up the 4th Armada. Soon, they would embark on a mission that was of some significance to the Igadzra.

At that moment, the squadron that had brought Grand Executor X'el to Tibidat returned from their trip. Immediately, the lead ship hailed the Premonition.

"Yes, Zhane?" Ujo asked. He was one of the few people who could address X'el by his first name.

"Begin the operation. Tibidat will be no help to us."

Ujo nodded slowly, standing up and donning a headset. "I understand. Com chief, cut comlink. Order the fleet to move into position around the Premonition immediately." Stretching his muscles, Ujo said to himself. "Here we go..."

Quickly, the armada, now 40 Igazras and 120 Igaras strong, moved into position around the Premonition. "Com, dispatch a message to the Norhis Defense Force. Tell them to rendezvous with us in the Funit system immediately."

"Yes, Executor," the chief replied.

"Power shields to 50%. Nav chief, lay in a course to the Funit system. Executive officer, inform the fleet that we are preparing to engage. All ships to Combat Alert Yellow."

Templar Hhazou, the executive officer of the Premonition , nodded quickly, patching in the message to the fleet and crew. "Fleet reports ready, Executor."

Ujo nodded. "Execute the jump."

------

In the Funit system, the 4th Armada arrived first, followed by the defense force that normally guarded Norhis. Together, they engaged to Groned...

------

Groned System

No doubt, the Renegades controlling Groned had no forewarning of the massive Igadzra armada that jumped into their system. Immediately as soon as the fleet was through, Ujo began gaving orders again.

"Shields to full. All ships to Combat Alert Red," he ordered, once again donning the headset. "Move into a spherical formation, and scan for renegade vessels."

"Multiple Renegade vessels detected in orbit of Groned," Hhazou reported.

"Target the larger vessels and begin firing SAE salvos as soon as we are within range. All ahead full towards the planet. Target the smaller vessels with dispersal rockets. Keep the escort Igaras in close to protect the Igazras."

With that, the 4th Igadzra Armada marched forward against the Renegades...

4th Armada
55 Igazras
165 Igaras

This post has been edited by Captain Carnotaur : 16 February 2005 - 10:06 PM

OoC
I forgot in my last post to mention that 25 Crescent Fighters are still patrolling the systems around Groned, Mavs, and DSN-6107. Let me know if this post is okay.
BiC

Groned
Contrary to what the Igadzra seemed to think, the "Renegade" (having been re-christened the United Free Systems) fleet had had a 2 day warning of their coming. They had no intention of fighting. The refusal of the other denizens of the South Tip to unite against the Strands had forced them to put their contingency plan into effect.
Rising off the opposite side were several freighters and several independent ships carrying several thousand of the civilian populace off of Groned. When they had heard that the Igadzra were coming, they had feared that the Strand was coming to force them back into their caste system. Desperate to avoid the tyranny of the Strand, they had begun to flee the planet en mass, heading for the system where they would meet the rest of the United Free Systems fleet and leave the South Tip forever. Unfortunately, most of the civilians and soldiers remained on the planet. The people were ready to fight for their government, if necessary, but they were not sure of the Igadzra's intentions.
The captain of the United Free Systems fleet gave the order. The fleet turned and jumped out of the system with the last of the freighters. On Groned, the populace prepared themselves for whatever was to come.

DSN-6107
The system had been evacuated nearly a full day ago. The base sat quiet and empty. The United Free Systems had had years to wire the tunnels and the base itself with explosives. When the word was given in Groned, the self-destruct sequence was activated. The base was incinerated in moments. The tunnels were sealed and any useful facilities were destroyed

Mavs
Histiri Station was a ghost station.
When word of the Igadzra fleet had been received, the evacuation plan had been put into effect.
Nearly everybody had left the station and the system.
One Crescent Warship remained in docking position. Its crew was making a final clean-up of the station.
The Master stood in his empty office. His hopes of uniting the South Tip to stand against the Strands had failed. Only one task remained before he left the South Tip, perhaps forever.
He activated his network and sent out one last transmission to the rest of the South Tip.

I am sad to say that my peace negotiations have failed.
Even now, the Igadzra are continuing the Strand's war against the Strandless. Soon, they will kill many innocent people, whose only crime was a desire to be free of the Strands forever. The entire South Tip may fall under the heel of these monsters.
Had the South Tip united against this threat, this might not have happened.
Sadly, it is now too late.
I bid you all a very fond farewell.
I hope that you will survive what lies ahead.

The Master turned, walked out of the office, and, as the door closed, he raised his hands. He felt the energy flow through him. He heard the metal bending and then snapping. He opened his eyes and saw that the interior of his office had been torn to shreds. No useful secrets could remain in there. He smiled and boarded the Crescent Warship. It pulled away and left the empty station, drifting in space. It was no longer needed. When the fleet established a new home base, it would become their new shipyard and his headquarters.

Akrayhek
Captain Sage leaned back from his communications unit in shock. They had been forced to activate the contingency plan! All hope uniting the South Tip against the Strands was gone, at least for now. He activated his ships self-destruct mechanism and set the timer for 5 minutes. He still had one duty to perform.
He hailed the station and sent the following message:

To the commander of the military of the Akrayhek system:
My master regrets to announce that the Igadzra have attacked Groned and that most of the people are trapped there at the mercy of the might of the Strand.
This setback has forced my Master to activate his contingency plan.
He is giving you Histiri Station in Mavs as a gift with this request: that you leave us alone when we move to our new home. I suggest that you move your fleet back-this ship will self-destruct in 5 minutes
Goodbye. May you fare well wherever you fare.

DSN-8075
After spending several days in hyperspace, the United Free Systems fleet had regrouped here.
The force had refueled (the ships at Mavs had had enough fuel to power the ships for one last jump, but it was all that was required. The large fleet turned and jumped.

Riomor
The United Free Systems fleet dropped out of hyperspace. They quickly assumed formation, on the outskirts of the system, away from the mines and suicide ships. The Crescent Warships and Laziras assumed a defensive position, intending to use their SAD modules to destroy the enemy turncoats or their superior firepower and mobility if the enemy should get too close. 1/2 of the Aradas and Crescent Fighters assumed a position around them to keep the enemy fighters from getting too close. The other 1/2 of the fast ships moved forward. Their orders were to avoid the mines and suicide ships and to take them out with their superior range and firepower. They were also to destroy any enemy ships that attempted to stop them. They were virtually right next to their fleet and could trade out damaged ships extremely quickly. They were to feint retreat and lure the enemy into the range of the heavier warships (which would be moving forward at a cautious pace to avoid the mines and suicide ships), if at all practical. The whole fleet began to move forward ready for battle.

Message to the UE:
We are the United Free Systems (UFS). We mean you no harm and wish only to have peace with you. All we request is that we be allowed to have Riomor and live in peace.

Research and Development
Crescent Dragon
Estimated time to completion: three days

Crescent Hawk
Estimated time to completion: one day

Fleet positions:
South and near Mavs, keeping away from the human systems
5 Crescent Fighters

Riomor System:
22 Crecent Warships
49 Laziras
172 Renegade Aradas
1119 Crescent Fighters

New ship construction (all these have moved out with the fleet, prior to Histiri Station's abandonment):
1 Crescent Warship (assigned to Mavs)
2 Laziras (assigned to Mavs)
8 Aradas (assigned to Mavs)
53 Crescent Fighters (assigned to Mavs)

This post has been edited by Selax : 17 February 2005 - 12:54 AM

DSN-8200

"Oh... very well. I think that we'll be able to get back to our capital system, then. Just follow us. Oh, and, something else I've personally been curious about, and something I'm sure the Board would love... " Rays paused. " Do you have a map of Voinian space? Or their borders? I'm interested in seeing how large their empire actually is."

As he turned, prepared for hyperspace, and waited for a reply, he sent a message to Kelmaon, where it would in turn be relayed to Emalghion.

Message to: Pael
Message subject: I was right
Please alert the council that I was right. These are the other enemies of the Voinian empire. We shall be back shortly.

----------
Emalghion

Mindule grinned as he toured through the new drone making facilities. With three different types of drones now being produced, the Attack Drone now with upgraded weapons, it was almost a symbol of power on Emalghia. He turned to a newly completely drone and inspected it. He nodded to the engineers, who were suprised to see him actually glad with the thing, as he opened access panels and reviewed the engines and weapons. He frowned.

"I'm curious, where does the hyperdrive draw its power from?" The engineer looked puzzled.

"The... er... hyperdrive?" Mindules eyes narrowed.

"There is a hyperdrive in this drone, correct?"

"Um... no, sir. This drone is for planetary defence... we thought." Mindules eyes began to show veins.

"And the others? They have hyperdrives, right?"

"Um..." Mindule slugged the side of the drone with his fist.

"What the hell were you thinking? Didn't anybody think of putting a hyperdrive in the damn thing?"

"Sir, the report said to make a small, fast, moderately armed AI attack vessel. There's simply no room for a hyperdrive. This drone is a top of the line defense ship; it will withstand four or five hits from a neutron cannon, granted that there are a great number of them and they have more speed then the Voinians Interceptor."

"This... You... fix it. Find a way to get these drones to another system, or you're out of a job." The engineer sighed.

"Yes sir."

----------

Seeing as how Drones cannot go into hyperspace, they will be loaded onto freighters, which are to be temporarily used as docking bays. A freighter can hold 30 drones, and there are approx 150 freighters.

----------
Updated Ship Announcement:
Drone Factories will now produce 30 regular Drones, 13 Explosive Drones, and 13 Rocket Drones daily. Kelmaon will produce 2 regular Drones, 1 Explosive Drone, and 1 Rocket Drone daily.

Ship Count:
Emalghion:
502 Fighters
330 Warships
122 Attack Drones
29 Explosive Drones
13 Rocket Drones

Kelmaon:
4 Warships
8 Fighters
12 Attack Drones
2 Explosive Drone
1 Rocket Drone

----------
Research and Development
Thermite Enhanced Projectiles: ETA: Done (Wednesday, February 16th)
Drone Factories on Emalghia: ETA: Done (Wednesday, February 16th)
Rocket Drone: ETA: Done (Wednesday, February 16th)
Refit
All ships and drones currently without the latest sensor the weaponry capabilities are to be updated. ETA: 1 Day (Thursday, February 17th)

New Tech
Long Range Thermite Railgun:
The LRTR will utilise the latest Thermite weaponry to produce produce a powerful Railgun weapon with a caliber of 300 mm. ETA: 3 Days (Saturday, February 19th)

---------
OOC edit: I didn't bother looking at the freighters holding capability until now, sorry.

This post has been edited by grunadulater : 20 February 2005 - 01:56 AM

OOC: I’m pretty tired from writing this and will get into the battles at hand, R&D, fleets, etc. in my next post.

IC:

“Hello, Ian.”  

Ian Ki turned around as quickly as he could, drawing his shot pistol. But when he saw the owner of the voice was who he thought it was, he couldn’t fire. The weapon wobbled in his hand for a second before he lowered it.  

“Kitasha!”  

Kitasha Sendrakon was, along with a sizeable dose of early-adulthood rebelliousness and a less-than-kind master, Xaranarus Gore, for his technical apprenticeship, the reason why Ian had become a renegade. Her Krait at the time, called Lightning as all of hers were, took a rocket from a militia ship during a raid on Iothe, and crash-landed in a remote region of the planet. As part of his apprenticeship, Ian had been sent to that region on a journey to retrieve a piece of technology from a reclusive craftsman who lived in that region; he saw the fireball that was the Lightning in the last moments of its existence.   

A couple of years earlier, Ian had applied to the Militia in the hopes of escaping his apprenticeship, but was turned down because he had a criminal record, from some petty thefts that he had committed in his youth. Many of his friends had joined the militia; being segregated from them into a repressive apprenticeship was barely tolerable to him. Running to the crashed ship, he found a heap of burning wreckage and a pilot near death. Perhaps saving a dying militia officer would make them accept him, he told himself, as he dug out the dying pilot and carried her away just before the Lightning’s wreckage exploded.   

Hirathe, the reclusive craftsman, helped Ian to stabilize the critically injured “militia officer,” but Ian could tell that Hirathe thought that something was wrong almost from the beginning. It was two months before Kitasha could travel. She tried to promote the impression that she was with the militia, Hirathe clearly knew that she was a renegade by then, but said nothing of it to Ian; Ian picked up the feelings of the old man, but whether because he did not believe them or because of his growing attraction to the woman who he had pulled from the flames, he chose to ignore them.  

Ian and Kitasha bid farewell to Hirathe, who let them leave with his silence after giving Ian the technology that Gore wanted, a little shiny metal thing of no visible utility. The pair of them journeyed back to the main settlement. Looking back upon it now, that journey through Iothan civilization seemed to Ian the happiest time of his life. It was not a happiness that would last, however. Gore accepted the couple at first, giving a begrudging approval to his apprentice’s choice of mate. But he, like Hirathe, knew that Kitasha was not what she made herself out to be, and began discretely making inquiries into her supposed militia career.   

Six months after Ian and Kitasha’s return, Gore had proof that Kitasha wasn’t with the militia. Sending Ian out on an errand, he restrained the renegade and contacted the authorities. He made a mistake, however, one that would have dire consequences: the shop to which he sent Ian was closed. Ian returned to Gore’s compound before the authorities arrived, and found his master holding a poison nail gun to the head of his love. Gore told Ian of Kitasha’s duplicity; Ian feigned acceptance for a moment, then suddenly grabbed the nailgun from his master and turned it on its owner, firing several times. Ian unbound Kitasha just as the militia police arrived; the militia officers were some old friends of Ian’s, and Ian, thinking he could talk to them, put down the nailgun and went outside. Ian greeted the officers, and as old friends are wont to do, they made some small talk before considering the business at hand, which they never got to. Kitasha emerged from the compound behind Ian and shot the police officers dead without a word.   

Ian looked at her in shock, wondering for the first time who she really was. But there was no time for discussion; as Ian gazed upon the discolored bodies of those who were once his friends, Kitasha dragged him to Gore’s Helian and hit the thrusters for Freeport.  

On the way, she told him how she really came to be in that wreckage on Iothe. Born on Verril Prime, she had a boring childhood. This boredom she relieved through theft, the more brazen the better. At fourteen, she hotwired a cargo transporter, turned the turret guns on town hall “just for the fun of it”, and set course for Pariah, raiding shuttles for fuel and dodging UE patrols. Entering the New Alcatraz settlement after crashing the transporter, she found that the pirates there either laughed at her or ignored her entirely. For a year, she lived like a dog, surviving on the scraps of the pirates. Then what seemed to be a stroke of luck came: an old, respected pirate captain agreed to take her on as a Krait pilot for his Turncoat.   

When they were a few days out of Pariah, the captain summoned her to his chambers. They talked briefly, but then he grabbed her and had his way with her. When it was over, he chained her, naked and bleeding, to the wall and left her there.   

Kitasha didn’t know how long she spent as the old pirate’s slave, but it seemed an eternity. It ended when, one day, the pirate in a drunken stupor forgot to remove his knife before using her. She managed to get her hands on it, and without a second thought, castrated the pirate. As he bent over in pain, clutching the remains of his crotch, she put the knife into the back of his head.   

Picking the lock on her chains with the knife was easy for a seasoned thief. Throwing on one of the pirate’s spare outfits, she escaped her torture chamber, knife in hand and almost ran into the first officer, who, having himself occasionally come to use her behind the captain’s back, immediately figured out what had happened, drew his laser pistol, and shot Kitasha through the abdomen, a shot which, she would discover during her time with Ian, had left her sterile. Dropping the knife as she fell, Kitasha somehow managed to roll into an air duct, in which she wandered until she found the Krait bay. Hotwiring one was easy; she shot open the outer doors, then turned around the craft and opened fire into the guts of the Turncoat. The resulting explosion killed everyone on the Turncoat and badly damaged her Krait. As she flew off, she noticed that the ionization effects of the blast were still sending bolts of charge across the torn skin of the ship. That little rag of a fighter became the first Lightning.   

Hoping for a better experience, she set course for Freeport. When she docked, an official wearing the insignia of the captains approached her with a clipboard and asked her to “register”. Seeing as this meant submitting to some form of authority, she got back in the Krait, rotated it 180 degrees, and punched the thrusters, melting the official to a puddle of goo with the Lightning’s thrusters as she exited for Gorky. On Gorky, she did not associate with any group of Renegades, choosing instead to live away from the settlement, entering it only to procure parts for the Lightning, or a new basic Krait to make it from when the old one was lost. Her raids were likewise conducted alone, “which explains why it was pretty stupid of me to go after Iothe, the Iothan militia being what it is,” she finished. “But then, things haven’t worked out too badly.” She smiled.  

Ian just stared at her. For the rest of their trip, he did not trust himself to say one word to her. They landed (with the dock crews not making the association between Kitasha and the dock worker melted by a Krait several years ago) on Freeport, where Ian debarked. Kitasha followed him out of the Helian  

“We’ve got a few jumps worth of fuel left, Ian. Yelts is just one system to the left of here. C’mon!” She grew anxious as the registrars approached. Ian held up a hand to silence her, a gesture that she resented but obeyed.   

“Hey, we need you to register your vessel,” said the dockworker, walking up with a clipboard and a couple of armed goons. Ian took the clipboard from him and filled out the form. There was a question that asked, “Where will you be raiding” He answered, “Anywhere but Iothe.”  

Ian Ki, at that moment, became a renegade.  

Ian and Kitasha both moved, at Kitasha’s insistence, into the same hole-in-the-wall in the smoky lower levels of Freeport. Kitasha spent an increasing amount of time in the hole, or in a previously abandoned mechanic’s shop, working on their Helian. She startled, even scared herself with how readily she took up the tasks of a housewife, a role to which she was not temperamentally suited. Then one day Ian returned home with the wreckage of their Helian chained to the back of a Freight-Courier, his prize. Kitasha used the opportunity to buy herself a new Krait. If she had been in danger of losing herself in her devotion to Ian, now her ties to him grew weak as she spent more and more time on the latest Lightning. Slowly but surely, the only other person to whom she had willingly opened herself became a stranger to her.   

At the same time, Ian was moving up in Freeport society. Xaranarus Gore, though a miserable old bastard by anyone’s reckoning, was nonetheless a man of great skill, skill that his apprentice had absorbed. Ian Ki, now addressed as Iothe Ian because of his legendary refusal to condone any activity against Iothe, proved to be a natural at piloting, gunnery, and command, as well as a man of of great technical skill and understanding. After five years of incredible successes, including the modification of the Turncoat class vessel to include the latest triumph of the reclusive genius Edwards, the needle missile, Iothe Ian was invited to join the Captains of Freeport.  

That night, he and Kitasha fought, having a heated argument that lasted for several hours and eclipsed all of their previous disagreements in intensity. It ended when Kitasha took Ian’s 9mm pistol from atop the dresser and shot him in the gut before storming out in a rage.   

It couldn’t have been more than thirty seconds later that she rushed back into the room, crying and begging for his forgiveness, pleading to be allowed to take him to one of the station’s medical bays. Against what his experience told him, Ian accepted her offer and, eyes wet not only from the incredible pain of being shot in the gut, granted her forgiveness. When they arrived at the medical bay, she helped him lie down on one of the healing beds and asked for his forgiveness again; once again, he granted it, squeezing her hand as he lay on the bed looking up at her. It would be the last time, until now, that he would see her face.   

The doctors patched him up quickly and gave him a powerful painkiller so that he would be able to participate in his first raid as one of the Captains. He returned to the hole later that night to find it empty.  

The raid of the next day targeted the Hatuli system. The militia forces were destroyed without too much difficulty, and the Captains set down on Thehir to pillage what they could. Ian’s crew was equipped with tasers, carrying lethal arms only a secondary firepower. Presley joked that if Ian were planning to go into the slave trade, he wouldn’t need much additional investment; the humor didn’t make it through the numb feeling that had taken over Ian’s body, though. Ian’s reply of a fist to Presley’s face would mean that the two would never have the best of relationships.   

When the Captains took off from the surface, though, triumph turned to disaster. A fleet of nine turncoats in V formation warped into the system. The flanking Turncoats were all Class Two- Upgraded types.  

The leading Turncoat was the Nadir.   

The captains turned to fight, and appeared to be winning at first, as the Nadir’s fleet seemed to have no reply for the Needle missiles of the Captains. Then, when the Nadir’s ships closed, the Captains found out that the Nadir hadn’t been firing weapons so as not to give away a secret: that he had obtained the shield frequencies of all of the ships of the Captains. Almost universally, knowledge of this fact came to the captains in the form of a rocket completely ignoring their shields, in the company of a burst of blaze and needle fire that did the same. The enemy also knew their comm. Frequencies, and duly jammed them. In disorder, the Captains struggled to disengage from their enemies and make to the edge of the system, but they took heavy damage, and only a couple of them “Rampage” Rufus Thorne and Huron Hugh Graf both fell in battle that day. Their seats would eventually be taken by Christian O’Grady and Turncoat Trisha, but for over a year, they were both empty, a constant reminder of that fateful day.  

Ian’s Freight-Courier was reaching the edge of the system, armor shredded by Needle missiles, a good portion of the crew dead. Then a burst of Blaze fire at point blank hit the ship out of nowhere. A power conduit on the bridge exploded, killing the gunnery chief and sending a piece of shrapnel forth to carry off Ian’s left little finger. He was still under the effect of the painkillers, though, and probably would not have cared if it had been his arm torn off. Jumping from his seat, he dove to the gunnery station and took command of his turrets to shoot at his attacker as it passed overhead. As it came in front of his ship to reach the edge of the system, he saw it clearly.  

It was the Lightning.  

Ian pressed the fire button. The Lightning hit the edge of the system and initiated hyperspace maneuvers, but not quickly enough; the stream of blaze fire took the little craft out of space and tore it to burning rags.   

“I thought you were dead, Kitasha.”  

“I was, Ian. But the Nadir’s surgeons have got it going on; they put me back together again, just like new.”  

“I wish I could say the same,” replied Ian, holding up his four-fingered left hand.  

“Ian don’t say I...”  

“Yeah. You did.”  

“Oh, Ian, I’m, uh damnit Ian damnitall ”  

“Before you ask, it’s too late. Now why are you here?”  

“I wanted to see you.”  

“You’re lying.”  

“No, really! I really wanted to see you, Ian, for real! I’ve been so alone...and now that I’ve escaped the Nadir ”  

“Not so escaped as you have been led to believe, m’dear.” Ian and Kitasha both turned as the Nadir himself emerged from the shadows along with seven of his minions. “Thank you a very much for finding our local Captain for me. G’bye now!” The goons lifted their automatics and opened fire. Ian dove to the side, rolling out the door of the building that they were in; Kitasha wasn’t so fast; the spray of bullets pinned her against the far wall and took her apart.  

Ian screamed, raised his shot pistol, stepped into the doorway, and fired. The blast caught a minion in the face, exploding his head like a watermelon hit with a sledgehammer. Ian pivoted back out of the doorway, but too slowly, taking a shot in the side and another in the left arm. He cried out with pain, and ducked around the side of the building as the Nadir’s men came pouring out. Not missing a beat, he rolled through the undergrowth and came up behind the building.  

The old shack was once the home of the elder craftsman Hirathe; now it was the base of operations for Iothe Ian whenever he was on-planet. The shack was unremarkable; what lay in the field behind it was not.  

Ten Turncoats, all visibly enhanced far beyond their basic specifications, were arrayed in front of Ian.  

_The Nadir brought his entire fleet to Iothe._  

Something hit Ian in the back of the head and everything went black.   

Two men walked down one of the darker alleys of Mirava. Wearing dark trenchcoats, anyone who had lived in southern Miranu space for any length of time could easily identify these two as some of the less moral agents hired by the MTC. That is, of course, if they could be spotted. The men took great care to remain in the shadows, well out of the view of passers-by. They stopped under the overhang of a fire escape, out of view in the shadows, but with a clear view of the sidewalk.

One of the men opened up a breifcase, and produced several pieces of equipment. He quickly assembled them, and it was not long before he was holding a small phase pistol in his hand.

"Kitanu will regret ever getting that Corporate Investigation Act rammed through the Senate. If the Senate won't take our interests to heart, then they'll pay the price," the man said quietly to his accomplice. "We'll teach them to take the MTC seriously."

----------

Colonization efforts in DSN-3930 continued apace, many of the taller buildings in the soon-to-be occupied colony now beginning to take shape. The white arches and spires typical of Miranu architecture made an eerie mix with the pale purple sky and dark purple sands that covered the planet's surface. DSN-3930 didn't look like much, at least not just yet, but if the colonists had anything to say about it, it would soon be a bustling trade hub between Miranu, UE, and Igadzra merchants.

----------

Research:

1. Colonization of DSN-3930 (to be complete Feb. 20 -- 7 days total)
  2. Nebula Penetration Device (to be complete Feb. 20 -- 5 days total)
  3. Zachit Slot -- Reserved for RMA's use

Fleets :
No change.

Production :
New ships produced yesterday stationed in Mirava.
New ships produced today split evenly between all southern Miranu systems.
Advanced Warning Network will be operational in northern Miranu space on Feb. 19th