Expander Plug-ins

I was just thinking about the lack of expander plug-ins for EVO, and I'm wondering why exactly it is that no one has made simple little mission only expanders for the various storylines.. Think about it.. Really, they're has only been expanders for the UEs and Voinians, but the Strands, Zachit, Miranu, Renegades and Strandless are without even the simplest of 15-20 mission expanders.

So basically, what I'm saying is, why doesn't someone just sit down one weekend and make some? Really, the basic knowledge it takes to make a mission expander is so simple, and even adding a ship or two wouldn't stretch the production very much. Is it because there is no interest left? Or is just because everyone's still gone onto EVN?

So now, you're wondering, where the hell am I going with all this? Well, it's something I would do myself, but I've already done so many plug-ins for EVO, and I'd really like to see other people's ideas on what could happen in the galaxy after the game missions end. That, and I don't have a Mac here at school. So really what I'm getting at here is, wouldn't it be cool if some people got some going? Real simple, missions only, just to help expand the EVO galaxy?

_bomb

------------------
"I want to tell you about a time I almost died...."

There is an expander for the Zachit, and I do agree with you about mission expanders. We also need TCs, which is why I have been contacting people to find out their progress.

------------------

Yes. more little plugs liek that are needed. The only problem is making them fit in with the storylines.

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.nztuatara.com")NZ Tuatara(/url)
(url="http://"http://www.northernswamp.com")Northernswamp Webhosting(/url)
(url="http://"http://www.evula.com/survival_guide")Survival Guide(/url) minon
Not everybody can follow instructions. Not everybody likes JavaScript

Originally posted by kauthor:
**There is an expander for the Zachit

Is there? What is it called? Cool! The Zachit storyline shall be boring no more (I have already completed it by destroying The Rock).

------------------
I am eager to try to ansver mission questions

Zachit Missions! šŸ™‚

------------------

...Logically! šŸ˜„

------------------
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
Ā—J. R. R. Tolkien
(url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/ubb/search.cgi?action=intro&default;=26")The Search Feature(/url)

Originally posted by kauthor:
**There is an expander for the Zachit, and I do agree with you about mission expanders. We also need TCs, which is why I have been contacting people to find out their progress.

I wasn't aware that the Zachit had an expander plug-in. Definitely a cool thing.. I think while EVO would profit from a few more TCs, the simpler mission plug-ins are also lacking, and are substantially less work. A difference of a few months worth of work versus a week or two..

_bomb

------------------

The problem is that there are very few TCs. Gage Stryker's Visible Menance has been ported to EVN from EVO. I will ask him if he will still release an EVO Version of the TC.

------------------

I think it's a marvellous idea to get some expander plugins going - I mean this is obviously what the guys were expecting by leaving the story so unfinished! I had a cool idea for expanding the human renegade mission string, but I wouldn't have a clue how to put it into practice :frown:. Maybe we need to delegate mission writing duties and actual plugin making duties :).

I tried a few very small mission expanding plugins but they always annoyed me because they had bad grammar / spelling and you just knew they wouldn't be quite the same as the original missions... and there was always the danger that they would include Super new ships and weapons and ruin things. But I guess I really should try some like RoTUE / RoTV at some point. Maybe when we get EVO running in os x on the Nova engine.. but that could still take a while!

.. Just to expand on my idea - I thought that after securing some kind of peace with the ST renegades, you could help the human renegades infiltrate UE space a bit. You could sneakily take things up to the Sumer system, and probably enlist the help of the people on Meria as they'd be willing to help anyone just to get out of there! Then you could have them make more serious raids on the Independent worlds, but also run into trouble with the Igadzra / Crescent renegades next door in Feviry. I think that I had thought further than that but can't remember now :).

Anyway, it would be a much more sensible (closer to the action) base for the renegades than where they stand - especially when they only have Freeport after the UE and their own missions are done. Hmm, that would mean they should also be working on countering the new Needle Jammer, and maybe even working on their own NPD given that they are right beside the nebula. Gosh, this is getting kind of inspiring, but I can imagine that writing it would be a pain!

(This message has been edited by MartiNZ (edited 02-07-2003).)

There was an expander for the human renegades, but only the update itself is availiable. You might have to contact the creator of the expander for the expander istelf.

------------------

Originally posted by MartiNZ:

.. Just to expand on my idea - I thought that after securing some kind of peace with the ST renegades, you could help the human renegades infiltrate UE space a bit. You could sneakily take things up to the Sumer system, and probably enlist the help of the people on Meria as they'd be willing to help anyone just to get out of there! Then you could have them make more serious raids on the Independent worlds, but also run into trouble with the Igadzra / Crescent renegades next door in Feviry. I think that I had thought further than that but can't remember now :).

Anyway, it would be a much more sensible (closer to the action) base for the renegades than where they stand - especially when they only have Freeport after the UE and their own missions are done. Hmm, that would mean they should also be working on countering the new Needle Jammer, and maybe even working on their own NPD given that they are right beside the nebula. Gosh, this is getting kind of inspiring, but I can imagine that writing it would be a pain!

(This message has been edited by MartiNZ (edited 02-07-2003).)**

These are two solid ideas. Expand on them.. I'd love to play a plug-in expanding the Renegade strings, especially in the way you describe. Any one else have mission string ideas? If it's only a matter of implementing them with data, I'd be more than willing to give you advice on how to program them.. It wouldn't be a ton of work and there would be some potentially awesome results.

_bomb

------------------

Right on bomb. I agree completely.... šŸ™‚

heh heh heh....ahem. cough

Yeah, it really would be awesome if some of these ideas got off the ground. Even though focus has shifted to EVN, new EVO stuff would be great so we can finally approach the diversity of plugs that classic EV enjoys. There's still SO much left to be done with the Override universe.

I strongly advise you guys to take bomb up on his offer. He's simply the best there is, and if you're serious about your ideas it would be prudent to take his help when its offered, to put it lightly.

------------------
"A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."
-William James

(This message has been edited by UE Crusader (edited 02-08-2003).)

Visible Menance Progress

On Thursday, February 6, 2003, at 10:06 PM, Kirk Staley wrote:

I was wondering if the TC is ready for beta testing. I am willing to help! Inform me of the progress,

As indicated on the website, the TC hasn't hit beta yet, or even alpha. It need some more desc writing, mostly, and some final tweaking to settle it into the Nova engine. In addition to that, it needs some decent ships of Nova caliber, which will probably take the longest. However, the alpha, and perhaps the beta will be released without the ships if that's the way to go.

Writing is slowly progressing, but staff are needed. Look for VM to hit alpha anywhere between this June at the earliest and forever at the latest. We're shooting for a Xmas 2003 beta, however. Still a long ways away. However, I will put down your name on the list for the beta. Thank you for your support! (Name is me)

------------------

Originally posted by UE Crusader:
**Right on bomb. I agree completely....:)

heh heh heh....ahem. cough

Yeah, it really would be awesome if some of these ideas got off the ground. Even though focus has shifted to EVN, new EVO stuff would be great so we can finally approach the diversity of plugs that classic EV enjoys. There's still SO much left to be done with the Override universe.

I strongly advise you guys to take bomb up on his offer. He's simply the best there is, and if you're serious about your ideas it would be prudent to take his help when its offered, to put it lightly.

On expanding EVO- I think these little projects will only improve your EVN plug-in, UEC. If you get to see some different ideas, it'll perhaps spark some new ones for you.. Not that you have a lack of them, it's just always cool to see how different people interpret things. And I agree.. EVO should have long surpassed EV in terms of plug-ins- it has so much more to offer the developer in terms of expansion room.

And on my offer- it still stands. Programming a plug-in for EVO isn't nearly as hard as you think it is. I wrote and programmed Reign of the Voinians in about a week, when I was frustrated with F-25. This is something that can be done.

I don't even have a Mac here at school, and I'm sure I could still talk a beginner through making a simple mission expander.

_bomb

------------------

(This message has been edited by Bomb (edited 02-09-2003).)

Yep. I totally concur.

I'll start writing you again very soon, probably sometime this week. Basically I've just been writing, biding my time until something substantial can be done on coding. Which is just as well, because the way I see it programming shouldn't be bothered with unless you already know where you're taking the story. Besides, as you know I too lack a Mac, and the EVO port & Port Authority are not released--I'll need at least one of the two to get started on coding.

So yeah.....at the very least I'll be resending the e-mail where I talked about the Crescent side of things, and beyond that I thought I'd run some of my mission text by you, if you don't mind. Oh, and we can talk about whether you still want to write for certain parts of the plug, too. Heh, I'm being kinda nonspecific but I think you know what I mean, and I hate to give too much away to the masses.... šŸ˜‰

crosses fingers and hopes that some of these small projects will indeed get done

You can do it guys......go get em! šŸ™‚

UEC

------------------
"A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."
-William James

(This message has been edited by UE Crusader (edited 02-09-2003).)

Here's just an idea for you:

How about fielding something like a Kayian mission plug? Or is there one already? You could model it after Eve of Destruction...taking out the nearby renegades and freeing the beleaguered populace. (Or something like that...)

Regards,
Solel

------------------
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
Ā—J. R. R. Tolkien
(url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/ubb/search.cgi?action=intro&default;=26")The Search Feature(/url)

Well, well, Solel, I am a little bit surprised that you suggested this kind of plug. What make you think it is possible to make this kind of webstory plug unlike many other webstories plug?

------------------

Originally posted by UE Crusader:
**Yep. I totally concur.

I'll start writing you again very soon, probably sometime this week. Basically I've just been writing, biding my time until something substantial can be done on coding. Which is just as well, because the way I see it programming shouldn't be bothered with unless you already know where you're taking the story. Besides, as you know I too lack a Mac, and the EVO port & Port Authority are not released--I'll need at least one of the two to get started on coding.

So yeah.....at the very least I'll be resending the e-mail where I talked about the Crescent side of things, and beyond that I thought I'd run some of my mission text by you, if you don't mind. Oh, and we can talk about whether you still want to write for certain parts of the plug, too. Heh, I'm being kinda nonspecific but I think you know what I mean, and I hate to give too much away to the masses.... šŸ˜‰

crosses fingers and hopes that some of these small projects will indeed get done

You can do it guys......go get em! šŸ™‚

UEC

You continue working on your plug-in? Good. Then I dont have to report it to Vaporware plugs. šŸ˜‰ <superevil grin>

------------------

Okay. I've decided to have a little go at putting an expansion into practice, and have got a pilot at the appropriate point for testing. Using the ResEdit templates from another plugin.. many seem to have them included.. I have tried to put in a new mission with descs of a few words for testing.

The text on accept works, as does the mission computer text, but I can't work out where the first mission description in the bar comes from, and nothing is happening when I get to the stellar I thought I set for TravelStel. Not to mention I don't really know which mission bits I should be using for this.

And one other thing, just so this isn't a complete waste of time :), I'm working on an emulator at the moment on my PC - my iBook is in getting a few little things fixed, but when it comes back I'm going to reinstall stuff on it, including os 9. Does anyone know how to transfer a plugin from the made-up drive on the emulator to a real mac system? I've tried once before but there are issues with it all being resource fork.

Cheers, in advance :).

Originally posted by MartiNZ:

The text on accept works, as does the mission computer text, but I can't work out where the first mission description in the bar comes from, and nothing is happening when I get to the stellar I thought I set for TravelStel. Not to mention I don't really know which mission bits I should be using for this.
Cheers, in advance :).**

First mission description from bar is called intro description (the first you will get) I checked both bibles, but found nothing. Funny that the TravelStel doesnt work; I got it to work by simply changing the spob ID when F-25 2.0 was not working. I looked the ID for Aenecia in the spob resource, and then looked at the ID of Hizdriar. I just replaced Aenecias ID with Hizdriar.

Edit- This is the reason Slagblah should post here too, and not on the Nova board only.
------------------

(This message has been edited by General Cade Smart (edited 02-13-2003).)