what makes EV:O superior

Ok, I've been thinking about playing EV:O all the way through. I registered it when it came out. And was somewhat disappointed that it wasn't an expansion of the original EV realm. I never really went much further than a scoutship, and got caught up in school. Nova came out and peaked my curiosity again.

Ok, in your opinion, what makes EV:O a good game? I read all these posts about being able to switch side and build up your own type of storyline and pilot. (opposed to the linear nature of EV:N) I have yet to pick up any missions, can't land on and Voinian planets, and have about 4 ships and 12 outfits available to me. Granted I haven't explored the entire universe, I can't seem to find ANY bar missions, can't hang in a fight because I can't buy anything better than a scoutship...therefore having problems exploring.

This game gets better right? I mean I cna't even find any mission that pays over 12K.

*ok I just booted up EV:O. I hopped in my scoutship looking ot do some travelling and everytime I run into a hostile ship, there is no way to outrun/avoid/or beat that ship if it is using missles...which all of them seem to be using.... Am I doing something wrong? I can keep running, but I figure I'll never get my combat rating up high enough to ever get an a decent mission. Is there a planet I should check out with better combat able ships other than a scoutship or a super modified frieghter type of ship?

------------------

(This message has been edited by Kuji (edited 10-11-2002).)

It gets much better. You dont need much of a combat rating to get the UE missions. i never payed attention to my CR when i got them but it cant be much. to make your ship combat worthy, go to an independant planet near Huron. They will have Needle missles. Buy as many launchers as you can hold and load up on missles. then go kill some Kraits and Helians. Then look for a bar mission in UE space. It will be them asking you to do some military work from what i gather from what the guy says. from there you take off into the UE string. Another way to get a Combat worthy ship is to land on a pirate steller and buy yourself a Turncoat(i always found them weak and pathetic unless in numbers but it's the best thing in human space for civilians). You will get it eventually. I dont know why you are having so much trouble avoiding pirates. I always out run/manuver them.

------------------
Insanity has its advantages

Originally posted by U.E. Admiral:
**I dont know why you are having so much trouble avoiding pirates. I always out run/manuver them.

It's not that I'm having problems running from them, it's I'm having problems fighting them with their missles. I have to hit the afterburners just to keep going the same pace as missle speed in my scout. There aren't flares or any type of missle jamming device that I've seen so far...after they are out of missles I can finally go toe to toe....(it's usually a hellian), Blaze cannons have short range that I can't go shot for shot. It takes too long to dance around with hostile ships, cause usually more hop into the system while I'm in the middle of a fight. Oh well, how many factions, and which is the best gov't to work for?

I guess my problem is Ihaven't had the time to learn the strengths of each ship, which ones are tough which are not....they all look the same to me.

------------------

Oh yeah it gets better :). Build up for a while around UE space - kill Freighters (trader ones) as they are unarmed and will build up your combat rating allowing you to get better missions. I think you only need to be Mostly Harmless or Fair to get the first UE mission string, which should be from any bar in UE space. Then it just gets bigger and better, especially after you go up north in the galaxy.

I think that EVO is the best of the games, because of the amount you can do with one pilot and the different options you have. I also prefer the weapon balance of EVO, especially compared to Nova. The much more colourful universe of EVO is nicer to be in, and there isn't such a ridiculous amount to read as in Nova - I mean you actually get to fight for more time than you read :).

Regarding your last post, you can just avoid encountering Renegades for a while, i.e. stay in core UE space where there are ships to help out, and take out the odd Krait (Thoso is a good system for this) if you can in order to up your reputation. You can head north in complete safety and get a rather cool ship (some say the best) for 1M credits - or you can do the same to the southeast of the UE Renegade space, but of course you have to traverse it to do so.

(This message has been edited by MartiNZ (edited 10-11-2002).)

What makes EVO superior? Hrm....

Oh! I know! Originality! Oh, wait! Thats EV!

Really, EVO is the middle of the road game in the EV series. It is very similar to a innovative plugin that makes use of hidden features in EV.

Well, when you work for one of the governments in the north(no spoilers for you!), it is not uncommon to get missions at 50k a pop. The government missions can pay a couple million. A really good way to get yourself money is to buy a Transporter for yourself, and hire on a few Freighters. Trade metal-equipment between the planets Therir(sp?) and Gribn. Thats usually how I make my first million.

------------------
"Doritos:The official currency of fat people."-My friend
"All your bandwidth are belong to us."
"Error #101: No keyboard. Press F1 to continue."
(url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/webboard/Forum26/HTML/005710.html")Shameless(/url) (url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/mandrillen/PhotoAlbum1.html")Advertisement(/url)

Originally posted by Kuji:
*ok I just booted up EV:O. I hopped in my scoutship looking ot do some travelling and everytime I run into a hostile ship, there is no way to outrun/avoid/or beat that ship if it is using missles...which all of them seem to be using.... Am I doing something wrong? I can keep running, but I figure I'll never get my combat rating up high enough to ever get an a decent mission. Is there a planet I should check out with better combat able ships other than a scoutship or a super modified frieghter type of ship?

Go to Crockett in the Thoso system. 50% of the time, with combat rating of Mostly Harmless, Frontier Express joining mission is avaible in the bar. If you just want a good ship, abort the mission after saying Yes. If you want fast money too, you have to do a difficult mission. You have to take 10 tons of cargo to one of UE Frontier system, and run a Voinian blockade it won't be possible without buying Freight-Courier or probably Turncoat (haven't tried). Freight-Courier is good enough to to fight 2 Helians with primary weapons only, and Turncoat with more Hunter Missiles bought. It has 80 tons of cargo, and 60 tons of expansion (enough to get 30 Hunter Missiles!). It's also faster than UE Destroyer (175 speed). But you can also buy a Lazira in Mirava system, which costs 3.75 M and means you think Human Renegade fights are boring.

------------------
I am eager to try to ansver mission questions

i thought what made EVO great was it's story, honestly. finally some aliens with which we can communicate, massive amounts of different plotlines you can follow at the same time, very good writing. i liked the lack of rebellion, as in EV and Nova, just 'cuz i don't like rebellion! too much like star wars. guh. so yup, that did it for me. plus, the UE Cruiser. my first TRUE love.

------------------
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." -Emo Philips

Originally posted by Desperado:
**plus, the UE Cruiser. my first TRUE love.

You advanced through being in a Scoutship that could not defend itself to getting one of the best ships in the game from a hard-to-access string? wow!

------------------

Ahh.. yes you do make quite a good point there about EVO, and in quite a subtle way :).

The mission strings did tend to be a bit hard to find first off. I mean the first few times I played EVO I did quite a lot of exploring, out to the east and northeast of the galaxy.. but that's completely useless if you haven't gone north first! Not to mention it can make it hard to get back. So yes, there were plenty of things that it was very unlikely you would find without knowing about them first, especially the Strand mission strings.

But once you did know, usually by looking online :), it made for a whole lot of fun. It probably is a big criticism, and I haven't really given it that much thought as I found out the important things from sites before I had played that much.

But one thing that it did give rise to is the great number of people asking for help with missions on these boards - which is certainly a positive, I say.

Originally posted by MartiNZ:

But once you did know, usually by looking online :), it made for a whole lot of fun. It probably is a big criticism, and I haven't really given it that much thought as I found out the important things from sites before I had played that much.

First off I'd like to thank everyone for their input. I'm working slowly at building up funds, and hopefully working for different factions will be worth the wait 🙂

I really don't use any EV online resources except for EVula's site. Maybe I should start looking elsewhere for EV:O info since it really is bare when it comes to this installment for the series...and it may be much more fun actually exploring this one, rather than checking source code or following a guide....I just hope I have the patience for it. 🙂 Wish me luck....but one question how hard is it to get to the Voinian storyline....their ships like hot. UE ships are ok, kind of ordinary lookin though....

------------------

Originally posted by Kuji:
but one question how hard is it to get to the Voinian storyline....

You get their mission at Pax, but only if you haven't taken side with the UE

The best part about Override is that it's the most open game in the series. First you get to choose sides between the Voinians and Humans and of course, the Emalgha. Then you find the Miranu and you can choose sides between three different aliens. All this you can do at any time you want and all strings run parallell with each other. Combined with all the small strings and the string where you explore the galaxy it makes for a really open game. there's just so much to do before you're "finished" compared to both Classic and Nova.

------------------
When in doubt, go fish.

**Ahh.. yes you do make quite a good point there about EVO, and in quite a subtle way:).

I meant the Anna Balishova string. Reguires Upstanding Citizen/ Noteworthy.

------------------

OK, I just travelled to the Galactic North....whoa...there is a ton of stuff going on up here, and I just realized how huge the galactic map actually is. I know I said I wasn't going to use guides...but I really don't want to miss anything. Can anybody link a good guide that describes how and when to jump strings or something that is helpful in that way?

I'm starting to realize that Voinian ships have tons of armor and are SLOW. I'm not sure that's the race to work for, but their ships look great. I think working, if possible, for the arada might pay off, the advanced arada, or enhanced arada ships look amazingly fast. I was never too keen on working for Earth type factions...so I snubbed my nose at the UE string opening I think...

------------------

Cade: I know you meant that one. It is just a good example of something that you really need to know exists in order to get it - and then it doesn't come all the time anyway. I wasn't actually aware that it needed those ratings, I just thought you had to have done the Rescue Scoutship Crew Mission and then it was gettable... interesting.

Kuji: If you went straight up north from UE space you probably found the Miranu. You really need to go and talk to them at home before any of the rest of the galaxy is interesting.. don't worry - they won't even try to kill you :). Once you've done that and have a Noteworthy or better combat rating, you really open up the rest of the galaxy in terms of missions.

I'll leave it at that for now - I won't be surprised if you need more of the specifics in a little while. In fact there are strings in EVO that I don't know how you're supposed to work out about without guides. If you don't want to work for the UE, Opalius has already told you how to start with the Voinians - I think you need an Above Average combat rating for it.... And yes, their ships may be slow, but it really rocks to have armour in the rest of the galaxy :).

Oh man, I have no idea why I didn't get into this game before. I just bought my first arada ship for a cool million. It's pretty slick.

I've been using the search feature just to get a flavor of how the universe is set up, the players, all that jazz...

how many factions are there exactly?

I heard of names I haven't even encountered yet in the universe...zidagar? Igrazda?

Just curious how many factions with mission strings are there?

And I still can't find a decent website with a mission guide. I really really don't want to miss anything now.

------------------

Okay. I know how you feel. In terms of mission strings specific to the races / factions, you have the UE, Voinians, Azdgari, Igadzra, Zidagar, Human Renegades, North Tip Renegades. Then there are a few strings for the Miranu and a few mini-strings in UE space.

I think in terms of looking for a mission guide, all you really need to know is how to get into the strings. There is a large mission map type file on the addons page.. from quite a while ago, that shows all the missions and how they interrelate - that might be helpful too.

Anyway, you're right about the coolness of the ships - all of the crescent ships have a great style. The Crescent is the crescent-shaped area in the galactic east if you haven't found out already :).

You're not going to enjoy EV:O much if you use a scoutship. In EV, it's a decent little ship; in EV:O it's a very different beast.

If you want to have a quick look at how things might be, you might consider the 'Pilot file trade network' as a means of quickly getting a pilot with an interesting warship. I recommend you take our word for it that EV:O can be very rewarding, though, and put the time in exploring the galaxy.

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.geocities.com/evodude2001/home.html")Old & Unimproved: Cerberus Station!(/url)

**Cade: I know you meant that one. It is just a good example of something that you really need to know exists in order to get it - and then it doesn't come all the time anyway. I wasn't actually aware that it needed those ratings, I just thought you had to have done the Rescue Scoutship Crew Mission and then it was gettable... interesting.

Shayborgs EVO site is the best guide there is for UE missions (No EVula! Yay!). But since there has not been updates to missions since April 11, the idea of a guide for all governments is becoming vaporware.

Edit- extra space.

------------------

(This message has been edited by General Cade Smart (edited 10-14-2002).)

well you can do any order you like excepy that you have to do the voinian mission before the ue missions and you can only choose 1 side of the strand war to fight (azgara, izagara, zidagar... i dont care how u spell it) although there is a way to get 2 sides
NEO

------------------
To see the light you must first embrace the dark. Living on the edge is the only true neutrality.
Hi, and im Mr. Emulater come on work those processors.