Tractor Beams

Hi, I am new on this web board. Can someone tell me what the purpose is of having a tractor beam on your ship. Also, once someone is in an escape pod can you do anything to hurt or help them? Thanks.

------------------

A tractor beam grabs the ship that you have targeted when you fire it if the beam the tractor beam emits hits the ship. And no, escape pods are invincible.

------------------
"Oops, I think I killed it..."-Me

A ship in a tractor beam has greatly reduced speed and maneuverability. It also prevents them from using secondary weapons. The strength of the tractor beam is dependent on the acceleration of your ship.

In some plug-ins, escape pods appear as disabled ships, and sometimes you can get missions by boarding them. This is not the case in EVO though. Normally escape pods are indeed invincible.

------------------
Mike Lee (Firebird)

You can use a tractor beam to drag disabled fighters over disabled motherships. This makes them 'land' aboard the mothership. Why would you want to do this? So you can then board the mothership, and take the fighters which will be listed under 'ammo'. Of course, to take ammo in 1.0.2 you need the launcher - in this case a fighter bay.

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.geocities.com/evodude2001/home.html")Old & Unimproved: Cerberus Station!(/url)

Originally posted by VoinianAmbassador:
**You can use a tractor beam to drag disabled fighters over disabled motherships. This makes them 'land' aboard the mothership. Why would you want to do this? So you can then board the mothership, and take the fighters which will be listed under 'ammo'. Of course, to take ammo in 1.0.2 you need the launcher - in this case a fighter bay.

In the case of trying to make use of EVO's fighter count bug, I find it's much more effective to disable a UE carrier in a cruiser. The entire process takes about four seconds from an ambush, and you usually get 2-3 of its fighters. It's quite profitable...and very much cheating.

The tractor beam is particularly useful if you're in a heavier ship and light fighters such as the Azdara or Crescent fighter are proving to be problems. A swarm of these fighters is quickly broken up when you grab one of the fighters out. Better for this is the repulsor beam - my favourite secondary weapon, as its what makes my Crescent fighter murder Azdaras so effectively. Reason: the repulsor beam pushes one fighter out of the pack, but also slows it down for several seconds, as the calculation between impact of the beam and mass of the Azdara comes to a speed less than the Azdara's top speed. It provides the perfect opportunity to catch an Azdara at a slow speed, out of the pack.

The escape pod is, unfortunately, invincible, as it has 0 (or -1, depending on your point of view) shields. You can't kill something that's dead, so you can't destroy something that has nothing for you to destroy. I suppose the only realistic reason for the escape pod's invincibility is that it would be extremely difficult to target. Other than that...it's just an annoying feature so përs can escape with "the last laugh".

------------------
-Lyat Esponer Corsair