Shield Regeneration FYI

I was just messing around with a Voinian Heavy fighter and I added 4 shield capacitors, dospect, and both types of shield regenerators. That ship has the best staying power of any ship I have played with. I shot an Igazra and 5 I. Aradas and watched the fire fight. Well I was not shooting but they could not kill me either. So I went and watched some TV and well I was still alive. The point is just to try this ship. It has better regenerative properties than a fully upgraded enhanced arada and it I believe it may regenerate better than and upgraded azdara. Like the title says this is an FYI and if you have flown this ship write here about it. The shield capacitors are the key to why it has such a high regeneration. A plus to this ship is the firepower it can still weild. It can have 2 phase turrets, a phase cannon and the plasma siphon. 3 em cannons and the p sihon in Voinian space.

------------------
Why are there no maroon ships?

<cheating-scan-activated>
hmm...i think we have a cheater here...
<cheating-scan-activated>
j/k

Hmm Interesting idea does the voinian fighter really have enough space on board for all that stuff??

------------------
------------------------------
Why are man hole Covers round?
-------------------------------

Well, he may have cheated in order to get both the Igadzra and Azdgari upgrades (the plasma siphon and the shield regenerators, respectively), but the Voinian Fighter does make an impressive sight armed with those regenerators and a layer of Dospect. I don't think he's exaggerating when he says it's better than an Azdara; It's certainly better than an Arada. The shields go down fast, but that armor gauge hardly seems to budge, at least in the Crescent (heck, you could probably just skip the shield enhancers and save the 2 million). And the moment the attacks stop, the whole defensive system recharges in about a second (and after looking at the resources, I'm not surprised). What did surprise me was that the fighter does have room for all these toys. With a base of 10 tons of space, it can free up an additional 70 tons just by unloading the rockets and the 2 launchers. Forty-five more tons can be shaved by selling the neutron cannons, and with 125 tons of space and two turrent slots, every item he listed is quite feasable, though I certainly wouldn't choose that configuration. Even with weapons I liked, though, I still wouldn't fly it. Three jumps of fuel (upgraded to five, but still...) really isn't enough when crossing the Crescent (not with my patience, anyway). But for big combat missions where you don't feel like doing the Monty (or running until they run out of secondary weapons), this ship holds up better than most, and it can hold enough firepower, even loaded down with upgrades, to dent the big guns of all races.

TNO

------------------
If a tree falls in a forest, and no one is around to hear it fall, does anyone care?

Originally posted by The Naughty One:

SNIP

(/B)

Hmmm... Interesting this I may have to try
I can just imagine the Plasma Siphon Going (Mmm...can you feel the love)

------------------
------------------------------
Why are man hole Covers round?
-------------------------------

I've done some wacky things to the Voinian Heavy Fighter in my time, such as giving one a fighter bay... but it never occurred to me to turn one into an Azdaranaut. What a good idea! Even without the Plasma Siphon, I can see it working very well. I'd probably go for blaze cannon rather than phase turrets. If you're unsinkable, why not get in close and really hurt them? Also, with no turrets, I could stick down the fire button with Blu-tack, park the thing outside Crescent Station, demand tribute, and then go to bed. In the morning, the war would probably be over.

Or something. Just how invincible is this thing? I will have to try this tip. Thanks Jubee.

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.geocities.com/evodude2001/home.html")Old & Unimproved: Cerberus Station!(/url)

You do not have to cheat in order to do 2 strands. This is possible and if the naughty one wants to know then he can email me. The shield enhancers or capacitors are necessary because the armor regeneration is set by the shield regeneration. The amount of time to regenerate a ships shields is constant but by adding extra shields, the regeneration rate is increased. Thus you get faster armor regeneration.

------------------

(This message has been edited by Jubee (edited 01-28-2002).)

Interesting. I might have to try that out.

Putting both shield regenerators on almost any small ship can improve it significently. I did this with the UE Fighter once, taking advantage of Paaren Station's dospect armor. I found, however, that if you are struck by two consecutive rocket hits (very close to each other), you can die with this configuration. If you're a halfway decent pilot though, you can avoid that.

It does indeed work very well with a Voinian fighter too. Actually its even better, since Voinian fightercraft have more overall weapon space to take advantage of.

I never realized that increasing your shield strength actually improves regeneration, though. I'll have to try it.

------------------
"Wherever I have been, I am back."

-Gandalf

Originally posted by UE Crusader:
**Putting both shield regenerators on almost any small ship can improve it significently. I did this with the UE Fighter once, taking advantage of Paaren Station's dospect armor. I found, however, that if you are struck by two consecutive rocket hits (very close to each other), you can die with this configuration. If you're a halfway decent pilot though, you can avoid that.

It does indeed work very well with a Voinian fighter too. Actually its even better, since Voinian fightercraft have more overall weapon space to take advantage of.

I never realized that increasing your shield strength actually improves regeneration, though. I'll have to try it.

Shield enhancers can be quite effective at improving regeneration.
(We had a fun chat about it here... )

(This message has been edited by Starfish (edited 01-28-2002).)

(This message has been edited by Starfish (edited 01-28-2002).)

Well, after looking at the issue through eyes not clouded by lack of sleep, I see how one could play as two strands. My apologies to Jubee. I tried the fighter without the shield enhancers, though, and while the shield went down faster under enemy fire, they recharged at the same rate. I opened up the Override Data 2 file with ResEdit, and after consulting the Override Bible, I'm pretty sure that the Shield Enhancers have no effect on the regeneration rate. I could be wrong, though; I was wrong about working for two strands, after all. Does anyone know for sure?

------------------
If a tree falls in a forest, and no one is around to hear it fall, does anyone care?

The capacitors affect shield regeneration indirectly. Each ship has a specific amount of time to regenerate its shields. That time can only be changed by a shield generator provided by the Azdgari. But if you have 5 in shields, and then added on 20 in shields then you would have a total of 25 in shields. But the time to regenerate stays the same. This means you have just increased your shield regeneration rate by 5 times. This pays dividends when it is your shield regeneration rate that controls how fast your armor regenerates. So now your armor regenerates 5 times faster. Since armor is 3 times as tough to destroy as shields it is like shielding that regeneates 15 times faster in the cresent. The bonus to the heavy fighter of the Voinians is the very fact that it only starts out with 2 in shields. By puting on shield capacitors you have increased your shield regeneration rate by 12.5 times. Add the the shield generators and your time to recharge goes down from 50 by 60. This is the portion I do not understand. Technically you are below zero but that would mean that you would have an instantaneous regeneration rate. This is not true but if you put both types of generators on an azdara if seems to regenerate faster than with just the normal one although in both cases the regeneration time would seem to be below 0.

Naughty my email has changed so if you have any questions about working for 2 strands you are more than welcome to ask me by replying to this post. Opalius and I wrote a lot on that subject a while back. You might even be able to do all three strands without triple agent in the first version of EVO. I am still working on all three in version 1.0.1. That is what my other post is about on the boards in a somewhat connected way.

------------------

Originally posted by Jubee:
**Opalius and I wrote a lot on that subject a while back.

Yeah, like half a year ago. I should´ve kept the url for that topic, the question have been brought up so many times

You might even be able to do all three strands without triple agent in the first version of EVO.

Is it true? How can that be possible?

------------------
Bored?
EVO's not enough?
Take a look at (url="http://"http://www.boardgame.f2s.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi")Boardgames(/url)

I looked through the bible again, and I think see what you mean, Jubee. It says that 1% of the total shield capacity is regenerated in a number of frames equal to the value set in ShieldRe under the shďp resource. It starts at 50 (for the Voinian Fighter), then is reduced by 60. Of course, since there isn't an instant shield recharge, the effective value is probably something like 1 (might be lower, though). Assuming this is the case, however, then 1% of the shield would be recharged each frame, no matter what the total strength of those shields. So the higher the shield strength, the higher the actual rate of recharge, even though it takes the same amount of time. If a UE Cruiser completely recharged its shields in the same period of time it takes an Azdara to do the same, the Cruiser would be said to have a higher rate of recharge, at least as far as the rate of the regneration of shield points. But since shields regenerate 1 percent per the assigned number of frames, regardless of strength, wouldn't the armor regenerate in the same period of time whether the shields were 5 or 25? I mean, an armor value of say, 70 (the value after the upgrade), would recharge at 1% per frame regardless of shield strength, wouldn't it? Or am I totally off-base here?

Thanks for the offer on the two strands thing, but when I puzzled out what you were doing, I tested it for myself. Your method works exceedingly well, and thanks for pointing out that it can be done. This could be a lot of fun.

TNO

------------------

(This message has been edited by The Naughty One (edited 01-28-2002).)

This is to The Naughty One.

Great question. The answer to which I can not answer in an Res edit sort of way.
The only way I can answer it is through my trials and errors with ships. The Voinain heavy fighter has a higher armor recharge when it has the shield enhancers on it. That is about the only way I can explain it. I do not have a great technical knowledge of how resedit values work all the time so I use a cheat plug and just experiment.

To Opalius.

The reason I was so sure that 2 strands could be done was because I accidentally did it once. But at the time I thought it was because I did the renegade missions in the south tip. I have been unable to do that mission set ever since. I think the needle missle defense thing mission may be what is blocking me. I am not sure though. Can you experiment. I will have access to my mac this weekend.

Its easy to work for two Strands. Go to Pozdag-3 and get the first Zidagar mission, but DON'T FINISH IT. Put if off and do another recruitment mission for another strand. Finish it, then get back to Pozdag 3, kill off the Renegades, and land.

The reason this works is that, unlike the Iggy and Azdgari recruitment missions, the Zidagar recruitment mission either has no time limit or a very long one (I'd have to check to be sure, but its midnight on my end). You still, however, need a one-jump ship to do Azdgari or Igadzra recruitment.

In this way, you can work for the Zidagar and one of the other two strands. I can say with confidence that its flat out impossible to work for both the Igadzra and the Azdgari without Triple Agent or cheating due to the time limits involved.

UEC

------------------
"Wherever I have been, I am back."

-Gandalf

Regarding working for two strands.

The Pozdag-3 mission has a time limit of 21 days. I thought it might not have in older versions, but I just looked at the 1.0.0 data file, and even there, the limit was 21 days. The Igadzra mission had a longer time limit (42 days) which leaves enough time to get it and the Zidagar misson. It also leaves enough time to get the Azdgari mission (21 days again), but only if you don't land on the way down to South Tip Station(well, I didn't land when I tried it earlier today because I didn't want to risk it), and plunder ships for fuel. Then there's just enough time to head to Igadzra and then board the Azdgari ship in Racet (I finished that last mission with two days to spare). If the Pozdag-3 mission had no time limit, it would be possible to work for all three strands at the same time-- which is probably why the time limit was placed on that mission in the first place. So one could work for the Igadzra and the Azdgari, or the Igadzra and the Zidagar, but not the Zidagar and the Azdgari (unless there's another way that I haven't considered).

TNO

------------------

Now there's something I didn't know. Invinci-Voinian Heavy Fighters? Neat...

If I ever get the enhanced shield generator, I just throw it on a Crescent Fighter. The game gets boring quickly after that - there's something insane about just sitting in front of a warship and firing...

But I'd never thought about the effects of increasing the Voinian Heavy Fighter's shields. Hmm...if only it wasn't so ugly.

As for working for the Strands, a little bird told me you can actually do all three at the same time, although I've never tested it.

Esponer

------------------
Word.

Originally posted by SilverDragon:
As for working for the Strands, a little bird told me you can actually do all three at the same time, although I've never tested it.

Esponer

Believe me...you can´t. You´ll pass the time limit with three days or so for the final strand (azdgari)

------------------
Bored?
EVO's not enough?
Take a look at (url="http://"http://www.boardgame.f2s.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi")Boardgames(/url)

Well to my personal knowledge I have only been able to do the Igadzra and the Zidagar for one pilot and the Igadzra and Azdgari for another pilot. You have a 1 day window on the later. I have yet to do all three with the same pilot but I would not rule it out totally. Just because I have not done it does not mean it can not be done. Now in the first version of EVO the Zidagar mission had no time limit. At least this is what I was told. So maybe in the first version you could do all three strands. But if Silver Dragon was willing to speak to us about the the specifics of his little "bird" I would be willing to listen.

------------------