EV/O and Classic SciFi

To anyone who has read even a small amount of Science Fiction it clear that many classic Sci-Fi books and films have had an influence on EV/O> I was wondering if anyone would like t suggest what books/films they think have influenced the two games. To start with, EV is obviously influenced by Star Wars ie. the Confeds versus Rebbels thing, and I feel that EVo is influenced y the Gap Sequence by Stephen Donaldson, which has the same basic idea of human beings in a kind of uneasy fake truce with imperialistic aliens, whilst also fighting pirates who they feel are effectivley betraying the whole of human kind

------------------

Maybe you're just seeing things. It's very easier to have uneasy peace with aliens, and renegades who are betraying mankind. Not necessarily a "copy" or even influenced.

Esponer

PS: Welcome to the boards.

------------------
Word.

EV takes a LOT from The Hich Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. As far as the uneasy truce thing, David Brin's uplift series is a bit like that too.

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, use more duct tape.

A ship that looks like sci-fi,
The Miranu freighter viewed from the front seems to be the USS Enterprise,

Any other one, soem ideas of strings too, but in the complicated world of relationship between individual, not many possibilities can be explored, in borrks and in other situations.
The things that makes them different is the author and the way they are written.

Nelson

------------------
Salutations ŕ la vie

Originally posted by Warden Dios:
**To anyone who has read even a small amount of Science Fiction it clear that many classic Sci-Fi books and films have had an influence on EV/O > I was wondering if anyone would like t suggest what books/films they think have influenced the two games. To start with, EV is obviously influenced by Star Wars ie. the Confeds versus Rebbels thing, and I feel that EVo is influenced y the Gap Sequence by Stephen Donaldson, which has the same basic idea of human beings in a kind of uneasy fake truce with imperialistic aliens, whilst also fighting pirates who they feel are effectivley betraying the whole of human kind

I remember a thread on this about four years ago on the old discussion list.

Pretty much every planet in EV was named after something real or something in SF. Matt Burch said at the time that he was watching a lot of Star Wars, and that this influenced the plotlines. You'll also see that a lot of the ship names are from Babylon Five (eg, Starliner Asimov), the planet THX something or other is from an early George Lucas project (and, of course, later reused for his cinema sound project). Hitchhikers has had an influence, especially on Ursa Minor Beta.

It might be easier to make a list of SF that hasn't had some kind of influence.

BTW, EV isn't unique in this. Alien Resurrection refers to robots that build themselves as 'autons', a name coined for just such robots in the first Jon Pertwee series of Doctor Who, 'Spearhead from space'. Babylon 5 refers to a lot of things, and, of course, anything that uses the word Robot is a back referral to the classic Czech play. Most robot stuff also refers back to Asimov's three laws of robotics.

AFAIK, there was a lot less of this in EVO.

------------------
M A R T I N • T U R N E R

Certainly the most noticeable thing is the HHG stuff--if you read and reread the books a LOT. Little snippets are everywhere; the description for the lighting, hikeeba, ursa minor beta, beeblebrox, rupert, the whole parrot thing, the evildrome boozarama, and to a lesser extent the appearance of some things, like the kestrel... I'm sure there's lots more. This is from the whole five book trilogy (wont make sense unless you've read), not just the original book. Some from the radio things too. It would be interesting to find every little snippet that does come from it... Has there ever been a topic like that? Sorry about slight irrelevance, please excuse my rambling.

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, use more duct tape.