The Kayian natives...

On Kayia in the Akrayhek system, there is mention of a primitive civilization, which worked along with the Strandless exiles: the Kayans. There is brief mention of this race in other parts of the game, but there is little else that I can find.

I am considering using them in (url="http://"http://www.geocities.com/skyblade500/omega_conspiracy")The Omega Conspiracy(/url), an EVO story that I'm writing.

Just like with the Omm monks (heh, Omm-ish people), I am curious as to what others know (or think) about the Kayans, so that I won't be presenting false information in my story. Anyone with any knowledge of them, please respond.

------------------
"It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, that's what it is. Keep that in mind at all times."

They're not that primitive (cutting people's heads off aside.)

------------------
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!
(Lies are in your head.)

Originally posted by Entropy:
They're not that primitive (cutting people's heads off aside.)

The desc from Kayia says:

When the first Strandless exiles came to the South Tip, they were without resources, colonies, and allies. The natives of Kayia, though their culture was primitive , were in a position to help them. It was through this combination of technology and resources that the South Tip avoided the kind of total anarchy that plagued the North Tip before the coming of the Miranu and the Zachit.

------------------
"It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, that's what it is. Keep that in mind at all times."

Yeah, but you've got to consider they've had constant contact with the more advanced strandless for god knows how many years. By now they might have advanced quite a bit. Just think how quickly the Japanese went from a feudal system to become an industrial world power.

But the kayans, like the monks of omm, are just there for you to fill in the blanks. Don't worry about finding out the history of the natives; there isn't that much. Go ahead and write it yourself.

------------------

Originally posted by wes:
But the kayans, like the monks of omm, are just there for you to fill in the blanks. Don't worry about finding out the history of the natives; there isn't that much. Go ahead and write it yourself.

Not really... When I posted a topic similar to this (only about the monks of Omm), people mentioned some things that I didn't pick up, and their comments about the monks gave me some things to think about for when I wrote about them. I figured the same would probably happen here.

And I seem to recall someone from one of those things like 'The Red Horizon' knowing things about the Kayans...

------------------

I would say the Kayans were a distant relative of the Strands, founded by a group of idealistic Gadzair-descended settlers, trying to run from the already-beginning intra-Strand warfare, whose technology was wiped out in a series of internal wars between the Zidagar, Igadzra, and Azdgari factions that had still formed among them. After a major holocaust, the survivors, having lost all their advanced technology, regressed to the "primitive" state and subsisted on their planet – and then the Strandless came and retaught them of the virtues of technology. There's no backup anywhere within the game, but I kinda like it. 🙂

------------------
Visit my EVO web site at (url="http://"http://www.evoverride.com")http://www.evoverride.com(/url)!
Badminton Overhead Clear: Get under and slightly behind the falling birdie. Have racket ready in backswing position. Extend racket toward sky and contact shuttle at highest point. The racket face should be open. Snap wrist forward on contact. Shuttle should fly to your opponent's backcourt. -- shayborg's tip of the week

I think I would have to agree with shayborg. Th Kayans were an advanced civilization until they suffered some disaster and fell into a primitave state...

------------------

I was the one who played the Kayans in Red Horizon. They're my favorite race in EVO.

In Red Horizon, I simply played the Kayans as I saw them, a determined militia defending themselves from renegade attack. As for in EVO, I like to think that the Kayans were a relatively primitive society (perhaps comparable to ancient Greece or something of the sort), that was visited by Strandless at some point in their history. The Strandless needed a home, and in return they could offer the Kayans access to their technology, advancing their society several centuries (or even millenia) in just a few years. With the Kayans' manpower and resources and the Strandless' technology, they built a civilization together, and through time and interbreeding became mixed and mingled into a single society.

At least that's how I like to think of it. 😄

Originally posted by Thunder (away):
As for in EVO, I like to think that the Kayans were a relatively primitive society (perhaps comparable to ancient Greece or something of the sort), that was visited by Strandless at some point in their history. The Strandless needed a home, and in return they could offer the Kayans access to their technology, advancing their society several centuries (or even millenia) in just a few years. With the Kayans' manpower and resources and the Strandless' technology, they built a civilization together, and through time and interbreeding became mixed and mingled into a single society.

Yeah, that's pretty much the same idea that I had.

------------------