Weapon Problems

Here is a list of all the weapons in EVO. With each weapon I've written down that specific weapons problem. Post comments, disagreements, agreements, and such.

Turrets:

Neutron Turrets: Slow and innaccurate.

Enhanced Neutron Turrets: Slow and innaccurate.

Blaze Turrets: Inaccurate and slightly short range.

Phase Turrets: Not good against armor (and ever-so-slightly shortish range).

Emalgha Turrets (swivel gun): Not a true turret, short range, slightly inaccurate, and stinks against shields.

Cannons:

Blaze Cannon: Slightly shortish range, and slightly inaccurate.

Neutron Cannon: Slow and inaccurate.

Emalgha Cannon (true to its name): Stinks against shields, and short range.

Phase Cannon: Stinks against armor.

Rockets/Missiles:

Hunter Missiles: Home like dead weights and not very strong.

Turreted Rocket: Doesn’t hit target a lot and doesn’t do much damage to shields and are unguided.

Rockets: Doesn’t do much damage to shields and are unguided.

Dispersal Rockets: EXTREMELY short range, and doesn’t do much damage to armor.

Pursuit Missiles: Short range (for a missile), and doesn’t do tons of damage.

Needle Missiles: Relatively easy to jam and are WEAK!!!!!!

Homing Modules:

SAD Modules: Can be jammed and do not do tons of damage to armor.

SAE Modules: Can be jammed and do not do lots of tons of damage to armor (but otherwise effective).

Unguided Weaponry:

Defense Pods: Are only effective when enemy is sitting on top of you, and they recharge like a slug gun.

Space Mines: Nothing really, except they weigh a lot.

Beams:

Igadzra Beam: Not exactly the strongest type of beam in the word.

Phase Beam: Takes up huge loads of fuel.

Tractor Beam: And WHAT kind of use would this beam serve? It also takes up fuel.

Repulsor Beam: Takes up fuel, and does not repel enough (but it is slightly effective).

Fighter Bays:

Zidagar Fighter Bay: Launches only two fighters.

Azdara Bay: Nothing much that I can think of except for the fact that Azdaras are weak and do not carry heavy weaponry.

Crescent Fighter Bay: Crescent Fighters are not the best in the world.

Krait Fighter Bay: Launches suicide pods.

UE Fighter Bay: Slow launch rate, and UE fighters are not the most maneuverable fighters in the world (but otherwise effective).

Voinian Fighter Bay: Launches the most unmaneuverable fighters in the galaxy.

Emalgha Fighter Bay: Main and Only Weakness: It does not exist.

Cheat Weapons:

Forklift: Not everyone knows the cheat code.

Disco Machine Gun (WOW!!!): Looks and sounds ugly! (you also can’t buy it).

Phase Beam Turret: You cannot buy it either!

I welcome suggestions.

-Captain Carnotaur

------------------
To Escape Velocity: Nova and Beyond!
--------------
Millennium. Its coming, prepare for it.
Coming to the EV Chronicles.

Originally posted by Captain Carnotaur:
**Space Mines: Nothing really, except they weigh a lot.

Just one thing: space mines can get you in trouble with the UE and make you do the "Pay Fine" mission. Other than that, they're cool. Good work, Cap'n! 🙂

------------------
Visit my EVO web site at (url="http://"http://www.evoverride.com")http://www.evoverride.com(/url)!
" Edible, adj. Good to eat, and wholesome to digest, as a worm to a toad, a toad to a snake, a snake to a pig, a pig to a man, and a man to a worm."--Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Neutrons cannon are quite accurate, just slow. This does require you to know where your target is GOING to be. The turret has the disadvantage that the turret AI (even on your ship) has to know where your target is going to be, which the AI doesn't.

------------------
-pagangod

A bit of trivia on the same topic: Space Mines also have the same damage ratings as the Forklift.

Suggestion for the decription of the Disco Machine Gun: Each shot does relatively little damage, but the range and the firing rate are such that it is one of the most dangerous weapons in the game.

------------------
The never duplicated
Never capitalized
And always puce:
forge

Thanks Shayborg!

And pagangod, I disagree. Neutron turrets are inaccurate BECAUSE they are slow. Get the idea? I'm not trying to just name one problem which relates to others, but ALL the problems.

P.S. What "Pay Fine" mission? Never heard of it before.

------------------
To Escape Velocity: Nova and Beyond!
--------------
Millennium. Its coming, prepare for it.
Coming to the (url="http://"http://www.ambrosiaSW.com/games/ev/chronicles.html")EV Chronicles(/url).

What the hell is the pay fine mission??
Never heard of it

------------------

It appears in UE spacebars in version 1.0.2.... and it sucks!! They take loads of your money away!!

------------------
Very funny, now beam down my clothes. These ladies look rest-less..... uh-oh...
Alien's famous tongue...
"Vionions?? Voinioniommoins?? Viks? Veggies? Vegetables? Oh wait, that's a hewman plant...
SEARCH..... THEN...... ASK!!!!

Originally posted by Captain Carnotaur:
**And pagangod, I disagree. Neutron turrets are inaccurate BECAUSE they are slow. Get the idea? I'm not trying to just name one problem which relates to others, but ALL the problems.

I agree with your analysis of the neutron turret , but claim that the cannon is accurate if used correctly (by a player).

I hoped to say with my comment on the AI not being able to predict where the target will be is that slow projectile turrets are inaccurate, because they don't lead their target correctly.

I had also hoped to get across that the player can accurately predict where the target will be, and thus the neutron cannon is a quite accurate weapon. I enjoy using neutron cannons to pop Crescent Fighters and Kraits as they buzz around the edge of my Arada's visual scanner. I can get a Krait in 5 or 6 total shots with only a miss or two. With three cannons up front, that is a kill in less than 2 seconds ('though I'm not that good very often :)).

So, I would lobby for removing the "inaccurate" stigma from the cannon, but I would leave it on the turret. I suppose if you use the autopilot alone for your targetting then the cannon is inaccurate too, but in that case you're no better than the AI, if not worse.

-----------------
Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings, they did it by killing all those who opposed them.

(This message has been edited by pagangod (edited 12-08-2000).)

I would add a problem to the neutron and Emalgha cannons. They are very massive. If I want to use 3 neutron cannons in place of 3 of my phase cannons, I have to give up an additional 30 tons. That kind of space is enough for secondary weapons and almost enough to upgrade to Bronev (did I get that right?) plating from the usual armor.

The neutron and Emalgha turrets are a real bust, as they don't beat the cannon's fire rate, but have even more mass.

----------------
If you can stay calm, while all around you is chaos...then you probably haven't completely understood the seriousness of the situation.

(This message has been edited by pagangod (edited 12-08-2000).)

one other problem with the dispersal rocket is its blast radius. You can hurt yourself with it. Same with the space mine. This is a strong point of say the plasma siphon. Because if you get close you turn you enemies secondary weapons against them while the p. siphon won't hurt you at close range.