Trouble with EVC

I decided that the EVC port on Nova just wasn't the same as the original. One thing that kept bothering me was ships shooting off Heavy Rockets from across the system and never hitting a thing. So I downloaded EVC and booted it up, but ran into a weird problem. It lags uncontrolably for no reason while in-ship. No clue why, Override does not do this. The title/main screen, planet screen, and any info screen work fine, but flying around is just awful.

Anyone know how to fix this? Using an iBook G4 with the latest version of OSX Tiger, running EVC under classic enviroment.

EVC under classic hasn't worked correctly since OS 10.2. After that, there was some sort of change in the graphics driver, and it doesn't work in 10.3 or 10.4 (same deal with EVO and Ares). If your iBook can boot OS 9, you could play it there, or you could look into getting Basilisk II. If not, you're going to have to deal with the Nova port.

Yeah, pretty much what DE said. You could try fiddling with speed slider in the preferences, but that's a long shot.

Strange, EVO works almost perfectly when I tried it. Occasional half second burst of lag as if I was playing an internet game, but otherwise runs just fine.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into those options, especially since there isn't a port for Ares. :mad:

I use Panther (10.3) and EVO works fine, but EVC gets all choppy. Ferazel's Wand and Ares are choppy, but after a few seconds, they're fine. However, whenever you cast a spell in Ferazel or go hyperspeed in Ares it gets choppy for a few more seconds. None are as bad as EVC, though, and so I usually either boot up in OS 9 (I don't have any G5 or Intel Mac), or use it on my old PowerMac with OS 8. EVC rarely crashes under OS 9 booted, unless you pause, whille most other games do, so EVC's about the only old game I run under OS 9. Of course G5's cant boot in OS 9, and Intel Macs can't even do Classic, so older computers are really the only working way.

I agree with Josh and Buzzzzy in that when I play EV:C on my Powerbook (10.4.7), it is choppy and runs terrible. Override works just fine with my computer. So, in that case, I'm just going to still keep EV:C just in case.

I know EVC runs absolutely flawlessly under Basilisk II emulation on my PC. I know there's a competent port of Basilisk for OS X, so you may wish to try that.

Yeah, Basilisk II for OS X works pretty well. If only it could emulate PPC hardware under OS 7 too, I could play a lot of old games.

There was one problem with EVO though, the graphics were a little messed up, or was it always like that?

@buzzzzy, on Oct 10 2006, 04:14 PM, said in Trouble with EVC:

There was one problem with EVO though, the graphics were a little messed up, or was it always like that?

In Basilisk or OS X?

Do you mean that graphics problem where the bigger ships would have a feint black texturing over them? I've always had that.

@mazca, on Sep 17 2006, 11:17 PM, said in Trouble with EVC:

I know EVC runs absolutely flawlessly under Basilisk II emulation on my PC. I know there's a competent port of Basilisk for OS X, so you may wish to try that.

Hi, I'm new to the Ambrosia forums, but I've been having memory allocation issues running EVC under Basilisk II emulation. I'm currently running OS8.1 on a quadra900 ROM setup, and have plenty of RAM for Basilisk, but no virtual memory in the MacOS. Is this the problem? I used to be able to run it perfectly, and I've only recently got Basilisk II back, so I don't know what I've done differently. 😞

Could this be to do with JIP settings? I don't really understand JIP, either.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Mitchell

P.S. Is anyone else rooting for new Cythera? 😄

EDIT: Okay, that was a stupid question. After reading Marathon:Infinity's readme I remembered "Oh yeah, allocated memory in the info window". So if anyone ELSE doesn't know how to do it, you just select the program, cmd+i and then select minimum and preferred memory options. 😄

This post has been edited by muckedup : 11 October 2006 - 10:40 PM

@cippy, on Oct 10 2006, 06:45 PM, said in Trouble with EVC:

In Basilisk or OS X?

OS X, Panther (10.3) to be exact. I never really used Basilisk much on OS X, and never on Windoze because I don't use Windoze.

@cippy, on Oct 10 2006, 06:45 PM, said in Trouble with EVC:

Do you mean that graphics problem where the bigger ships would have a feint black texturing over them? I've always had that.

No, it's just that the animation seems cruder and the colors seem to be in a lower resouliton.

@muckedup, on Oct 11 2006, 08:21 PM, said in Trouble with EVC:

P.S. Is anyone else rooting for new Cythera? 😄

I, for one.

This post has been edited by Buzzzzy : 14 October 2006 - 06:36 PM

@buzzzzy, on Oct 14 2006, 05:35 PM, said in Trouble with EVC:

OS X, Panther (10.3) to be exact. I never really used Basilisk much on OS X, and never on Windoze because I don't use Windoze.

Okay, I think I know what you mean now. I do remember the occasional glitch in OS X with Override, but it ran much better than EV. I dealt with it though, considering I originally played Override on my Centris 650, where it ran like disabled bulk freighter.

I've only played Override briefly on 10.4, and I remember it being pretty much the same as 10.3.

Ooh, how timely. I just ran a search for Basilisk and found there's already a topic in progress about it.
Anyway, I'm on Mac Intel and have just set up Basilisk with OS 8.1 in an attempt to run EVC. It runs better than in SheepShaver (mrxak, this is the PPC emulator from the same people) but still not very good. What kind of settings give optimal performance? My next option would be to boot to windows and see if it runs okay there but I'd rather not if I don't have to.

This post has been edited by Guy : 17 October 2006 - 01:30 AM

@guy, on Oct 17 2006, 02:14 AM, said in Trouble with EVC:

Ooh, how timely. I just ran a search for Basilisk and found there's already a topic in progress about it.
Anyway, I'm on Mac Intel and have just set up Basilisk with OS 8.1 in an attempt to run EVC. It runs better than in SheepShaver (mrxak, this is the PPC emulator from the same people) but still not very good. What kind of settings give optimal performance? My next option would be to boot to windows and see if it runs okay there but I'd rather not if I don't have to.

I love you. :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Heh, nearly forgot about this. No worries, mrxak 😉

I ended up giving it a go on Parallels instead. I had of course assumed that running 3 OSes, one on top of the other, was probably not going to give anything close to reasonable performance. But I was wrong - it runs way better than it does straight on OS X. I guess they just don't have it optimised for Mac Intel. It isn't perfect though so I'm still interested in how I could tweak the settings but I guess this is the wrong board to expect to find help in such matters.

This post has been edited by Guy : 13 May 2008 - 12:02 AM

nice. But can it run EVO too?

Don't see why not, there's little difference between EV and EVO. I have no plans to do so though.