Maximus Insurrectum Webstory

Ace Rimmer stepped out of his cabin on the Red Dwarf, currently in orbit over Adhara. He had just spent several hours tightbeaming with The Apple Core. "Comm officer, signal the fleet to head to the Deneb system." he ordered, settling into his chair on the bridge. "Yes, sir," came the answer.
Ace Rimmer smiled and said, "We're going to take the war to the Confederates."

This post has been edited by Ace Rimmer : 31 October 2005 - 05:35 PM

The Apple Cřre's console beeped in his cabin. He instinctively jabbed at the wrong button, but stopped himself. That's the "bridge" comm button on this console, not the "receive" button. Rebel hardware...
Ace Rimmer appeared on the display. "My fleet has arrived at Deneb."
"Excellent. Take over my Tryvin/Deneb fleet. Give me what's left of it after we're done with the Pollux fleets. Assume losses are in proportion with ship counts. Cřre out."

The Apple Cřre tapped another button on his console, bringing up the admiral of the Virgo fleet.
"You are to strike the Confed fleet in the Pelagon system. Pick up the Sirgil fleet on your way. Cřre out."

A poke in the Confederation's belly worth remembering.

Admiral Ace Rimmer smiled grimly as he looked at the fleet forming behind Red Dwarf. With this fleet and the Castor patrol, he could crush any Confederate fleet he chose. He turned to his comm officer and said, "Order the the Castor patrol to meet us in the Pollux system. The Confeds aren't going to be happy today."
The fleet leapt into hyperspace, leaving not a trace of their passge in the inky blackness. There were going to be some very unhappy people where they stopped.

Mackilroy looked over the defense estimates of the day.

Rebel fleets moving towards Pollux

He checked Pollux's defense fleet. A full task group was there, but if the estimates were right, it would be overwhelmed in short order.

He summoned an aide, and said, "Move Task Force Alpha from the Regulus system to Pollux. We're going to be overwhelmed if we don't reinforce.

"At once, sir."

The orders were transmitted, and the task forces began moving.

As his fleet paused in a system prior to the next jump, Ace Rimmer saw a light begin flashing on the comm section of the control panel in the arm of his chair. He punched it, and the face of a young leutenent appeared on the main screen. He said, "Sir, our scanners on Ursa and Adhara have picked up enemy reinforcements entering the Pollux system. The reinforceing fleet consists of 5 cruisers, 13 frigates, 25 gunships and 20 patrol ships. Combined with forces already insystem, the enemy has only a minor disadvantage in numbers. Stratigests on Tiber recomend mission abort. Out." As the leutenent's face dissapeared from the screen, Ace Rimmer pondered this. With only a minor advantage in numbers, he would most likely win, but take very heavy losses. He turned to his comm officer. "Relay a new course to the fleet. Tell them to head to Agena. We'll sit this one out."
Disappointed at the lack of combat, the fleet turned and head into hyperspace, back the way it came.

OOC: 12 Frigates, actually, but who's counting? 😛

EDIT:

In the wee hours of the night, Mack was awoken by one of his aides.

"Sir. The Rebel attackers have backed off their fleet what are your orders?"

"Move the fleet already there to reinforce Regulus. There's another Rebel fleet somewhere out there on the right flank and I aim to beat it."

"Yes, sir."

Fleets: Pollux- one task force of 5 cruisers, 12 frigates, 25 gunboats, and 20 patrol ships.

Antares-Twice as many ships as Pollux

Regulus-when the reinforcements arrive, three times as many as Pollux

This post has been edited by Mackilroy : 01 November 2005 - 11:18 AM

Moderation:
I would appreciate it if everyone, in the future, would give constant updates of all of their fleet locations each post, instead of leaving it to guesswork. As for you, Mackilroy, I would like you to update your latest posts to compensate-Ace Rimmer brought something to my attention that concerns me somewhat.

-Bob

Ah. Sorry. I'll go further and update my posts that I've already made as well.

The comm officer turned to Ace Rimmer and said, "Sir, I've recived reports from our scanners that the Confed reinforcements are pulling back. We are now down to an estimated 5 cruisers, 12 frigates, 25 gunboats and 20 patrol ships. We badly outnumber them now."
"Good. Tell the fleet to move back to the Pollux system."
"Yes, sir"
As he turned to look at the main viewscreen, Ace Rimmer overheard two crewmembers talking. One of them muttered, "What is this? An intergalactic game of Red light, green light?"

-------
Outside the storyline, Mackilroy, I'm seeing some differences between your originaly posted fleets and you current ones. Like I have the Pollux fleet being at 10 cruisers, 20 frigates and 20 gunships.

"Move the fleet already there to reinforce Regulus. There's another Rebel fleet somewhere out there on the right flank and I aim to beat it."

I assume this means you are moveing the Regulus fleet back to Regulus.
Edit: My combined assault fleeet consists of 17 cruisers, 50 destroyers, 59 mantas (not counting shipboard ones).

This post has been edited by Ace Rimmer : 01 November 2005 - 08:38 AM

The Apple Cřre walked onto the bridge at the predicted arrival time.

"Main screen. Red alert."
The klaxons sounded as the fleet completed its final minute in hyperspace. The maelstrom faded to... tranquil Opal and less-than-tranquil Quake. The Confed task force wasn't there.
"Where did they go? Scan and report."
"Regulus, Admiral."
"Split the fleet. Leave behind a minimal rear guard: two cruisers, five destroyers, and 72 Mantas. Everything else /* 15 cruiser, 18 Destroyer, 170 Manta */ continues to Regulus. Jump out and stand down the alert until we hit Regulus."

This post has been edited by The Apple Cřre : 01 November 2005 - 12:03 AM

Mack looked at the fleet dispositions, and saw that Antares was quiet.

"Move the bulk of the Antares fleet to Vega. If we keep it there we'll be able to support the defenses at Regulus and Pollux without much trouble.

New fleet dispositions:

Antares

4 cruisers
10 frigates
20 gunboats
10 patrol ships

Vega

6 cruisers
14 frigates
30 gunboats
30 patrol ships

Regulus

15 cruisers
36 frigates
75 gunboats
60 patrol ships

Pollux

5 cruisers
12 frigates
25 gunboats
20 patrol ships

Admiral Ace Rimmer looked at the view screen as his fleet came out of hyperspace in the Pollux system. Right in the middle of the smallest Confed fleet he had ever seen. “This isn't going to be fight,” one crewman said, “This will be a massacre!”
Rimmer punched the button for fleetwide communications. “All cruisers, deploy mantas and split into groups of three, each group taking on a different Confederation cruiser. Destroyers, use your missiles to engage the gunboats but use your torpedoes to hammer those frigates. Gang up on them and engage at long range. Mantas, take out those patrol ships and gunboats. Steer clear of the heavy rockets. I want as many of as possible of you back in one piece.

The comm officer turned to him and said, “Sir, scanners show that the enemy has spilt his Antaries fleet, and sent part of it to Vega.”
Ace Rimmer smiled and said, “Order the Tiber fleet to attack Antaries.”
(Tiber fleet is 15 cruisers and 30 destroyers)

This post has been edited by Ace Rimmer : 01 November 2005 - 01:00 PM

Northern First Fleet-Matar
40 Confed Patrol Ships
20 Confed Gunboats
20 Confed Frigates
10 Confed Cruisers

Northern Second Fleet-Polaris
20 Confed Gunboats
20 Confed Frigates
10 Confed Cruisers

Northern Third Fleet-Rigel
40 Confed Patrol Ships
50 Confed Gunboats
25 Confed Frigates
10 Confed Cruisers

Grand Armada-Sol
Razgriz Flight
10 Confed Cruisers
40 Confed Frigates
240 Confed Patrol Ships
160 Confed Gunboats

Fleets of the Southern Directorate:
Antares
4 Cruisers
10 Frigates
20 Gunboats
10 Patrol ships

Vega
6 Cruisers
14 Frigates
30 Gunboats
30 Patrol Ships

Regulus
15 Cruisers
36 Frigates
75 Gunboats
60 Patrol ships

Pollux
5 Cruisers
12 Frigates
25 Gunboats
20 Patrol Ships

Fleet Admiral Bob, the supreme commander of the Confederation Navy, responded immediately to the new reports of the day: Rebel forces scattered and heading to various holding points. He rapidly sent a message off to southern commander Mackilroy:

I strongly advise that you withdraw in most of your encounters, slowly. Frigates, then Cruisers, then Fighters. In the battles where you withdraw to Tau Ceti, focus on destroying the Rebel Destroyers. At Regulus, withdraw only if your force is taking too much of a pounding, or after you win the battle, and be sure to focus first on the Mantas the Rebels have-our scan of thta area indicates it will be quite large. Once their numbers are equal to your fighter numbers, focus on the Destroyers. Have your fleets unite at Tau Ceti, after withdrawing.

That done, Admiral Bob knew that, at this point, it would be logical to look into the projects prepared by the Confederation research center.

Confederation Research Nexus, Sol
Designated Testing Grounds: Altair
New Project:
Navy-wide Cruiser Refit. The Cruisers of the Confederation Navy will be taken into port, and the following modifications made:
Titanium Armor Upgrade (The current armor they have, again, for 200 armor as opposed to 100).
This upgrade will take five days, with the design being created. As soon as all Cruiser-class ships are out of immediate need (when the Rebels are no longer within attacking range), this refit will be performed.
Neutron Blaster upgrade.
All neutron blasters fleet-wide will be augmented, and placed on a rotating frontward "turret" (swivel, front). Their range will be increased again by 25%, additionally.
This neutron refit will take place along the same timeframe as the Cruiser upgrade, while it is technically a separate project.

Research Nexus Summary:
Cruiser Titanium Armor Upgrade (0/5 days)
Neutron Blaster Upgrade (0/5 days)
Both projects cannot be put into motion, only planned, until the Cruisers have no need of immediate service.

Research Nexus Conclusion

Mod: By the way, the next full-scale withdraw (back to home ports, for refits and the like) should take place around Saturday. I expect, though, that one or two decisive battles will take place in that period of time.

-Bob

This post has been edited by Consul Bob : 05 November 2005 - 02:16 PM

I'll take...
Kestrel x13 =130 million
Corvette x25 =62.5 million
Lightning xhowever many I can buy with my money =57.5 million
And I'll take Privateer's Haven.

Aboard his private ship floating aimlessly in NGC 1896, Katana thinks. Hmmm.

He usually thinks such thoughts as these.

Hmmmm.

He walks over to the fridge. Too bad. The fridge is out of food.
He ruffles his hair with boredom and turns to his parrot, who's talking excitedly about the differences between proton and laser turrets. And crackers.

His buddy, Apple Core, had informed him of an upcoming raid. He had said there would be rewards...but he's was being vague, coulda been lying, that sorta thing. In the meantime, he had some sort of connection through Apple Core to the rebels. Maybe he could betray his alliance in a useful way. He had good communications...maybe he could sell the information. Or maybe not. He would at least think about it. Best not to pick sides, get to caught up in this Confed Vs. Rebel war universe. But the Confeds were the law. And they didn't like him too much. Whenever he saw one, they usually weren't too friendly...but of course, the fleet was his protection. They'd never attack him in less they were in great numbers. Neutrality was key.

He'd stick with the Rebels, for now.

He walks over to the intercomm.

"We're going to Regulus. We're gonna take over a planet, but we have to get rid of those damn lousy Confeds first."

He decided to contact The rebels for assistance. If casualties were high, the fleet would not be powerful enough to take over the planet. He hoped the rebel fleets would lend a helping hand in killing the confeds.

He knew his peers wouldn't like it. Any pirate would rather get rich on indies than risk death killing a confed fleet and then trying to take over a planet.

But credits are a powerful motivator. And the earnings would be high if the planet was theirs. Visitor had already taken over a planet. It was time for Katana's fleet to do the same.

"Everybody have plenty of fuel?" Katana inquired.
Of course, he knew the answer before he had asked the question.
The refueling had been complete hours ago, when they stopped to sell the several thousand tons of materials they had stolen.

All preperations had been made.
It was time to leave.
His stomach would make sure they stopped at a planet somewhere along the way. He was bored...had a tip off about "the blue car winning". Hoped that maybe he'd make a few credits.

He walked over to the sofa, lied down, and fell into a deep sleep with ecstatic dreams of universal conquest and money.

"Entering hyperspace. Please fasten your seatbelts," The ship's main computer announced.

This post has been edited by Katana !!! : 01 January 2006 - 11:59 AM

OOC: Um Katana, did Consul Bob already make you a pirate? If so, then I have no problems though I also don't understand why you're attacking me specifically. shrugs

"Admiral, we're receiving a message from the Supreme Commander."

"Put it on," Mack said.

I strongly advise that you withdraw in most of your encounters, slowly. Frigates, then Cruisers, then Fighters. In the battles where you withdraw to Tau Ceti, focus on destroying the Rebel Destroyers. At Regulus, withdraw only if your force is taking too much of a pounding, or after you win the battle, and be sure to focus first on the Mantas the Rebels have-our scan of thta area indicates it will be quite large. Once their numbers are equal to your fighter numbers, focus on the Destroyers. Have your fleets unite at Tau Ceti, after withdrawing.

Mack sighed. He keyed in a passcode, and typed in three words.

At once, sir.

He sent the message via military encryption, and sent the message, then began issuing orders.

"Keep the Regulus fleet where it is-we should be able to repulse the enemy there. Send the Vega and Antares fleets to Pollux-we don't have enough ships to save Antares at the moment. Then, once our ships are in position, begin a strategic withdrawl towards Tau Ceti."

"Yes, sir."

Confederate Southern Directorate fleet disposition

Regulus
15 Cruisers
36 Frigates
75 Gunboats
60 Patrol ships

Pollux
12 Cruisers
36 Frigates
75 Gunboats
60 Patrol Ships

This post has been edited by Mackilroy : 01 November 2005 - 11:40 PM

Edit: OK, post wiped. I wrote it when I was half asleep for some reason. Maybe I shouldn't try writeing things at 12:00 AM.

This post has been edited by Ace Rimmer : 02 November 2005 - 12:47 AM

Mackilroy: Things will be dealt with. For now, though, he can't be a'ttacking you-since he would start a long bit away.

-Bob

Mod: I have to completely deny this entire post-as the rules state, you're not supposed to eliminate the entire enemy in one post, which is more or less what you did.

Destroy three or four ships, maybe, and a few fighters, and take more realistic losses. I can help you there-but start from the beginning, not the end.

Mackilroy, you have to fight a battle in each system you're evacuating from-but since you're still retreating, things should work out as well as can be expected. Fighting withdrawal.

-Bob

This post has been edited by Consul Bob : 02 November 2005 - 12:27 AM

The Apple Cřre looked at the readouts of the Regulus system.
"Umm... better turn that Pelagon fleet back. Got something in the tightbeam that suggests better luck if we wait a short while. And it's time to do some refitting. Two more proton turrets per destroyer by Saturday. Make a note to be in a home port by then."

/*
Katana: tightbeam transmissions are secure. They need not be made public unless you want them made public. And I hope they would have phased out the blasphemy that is Windows by the 23rd century.
And you need a few more ships.
Regulus strike fleet: 15 cruiser, 18 Destroyer, 170 Manta
Recombined Pelagon fleet: 17 cruiser, 23 destroyer, 242 Manta
yawn midnight
*/

<snip>
Never mind.

-Bob

This post has been edited by Consul Bob : 02 November 2005 - 12:57 AM