ship names

I name my capital ships,for example,NEBUKADNEZZAR.
I know:
-like an ancient king,
-like someones boa
-like morpheus´ ship in Matrix

I remember that we had a discussion about that earlier,and I was asked what the boa means in german literally,but I didn´t answer.Well I didn´t found my dictionnary(I have no idea what literally is!?) but think that its named something like:".....GRINDWURM...".the brave swordsmen had to fight against these monsters to get the princess and such stuff.

<I´ve seen cool names in this topic>

------------------
..it´s ...not..in....the..book..

I think "Earth Star Voyager" is a good ship name. I like the names of the EVO generated ships like the "Disco Bison" I rolled over laughing when I saw that ship name! Someone should call their ship the "Space Parrot" or the "Flying Shark" those are both jokes from EVO.

------------------
Captain of the "Rebellion's Demise"
A ship that should appear in EV Nova:
"Selur Rotceh Niatpac"

My favourite ship name is Starseeker or Vouce

------------------

Fun question. I usually employ one of these names:

• Shonin Knife (after the three piece girl Japanese pop band)
• Sarajevo II (why 'two,' exactly? dunno)

Great White Godfather: Royal Oak : British battleship sunk by the German submarine U-47 ( Kapitänleutnant Günther Prien, commander) in Scapa Flow in 1939. I'm currently reading Neither Sharks Nor Wolves: The Men of Nazi Germany's U-Boat Arm, 1939-1945. Good reading, though a tad scholarly. 🙂

------------------
PlanetPhil
not drowning, waving

(This message has been edited by PlanetPhil (edited 03-10-2001).)

Wow, it is nice to see some of the history behind these interesting names...
I usually name my mercenary craft "Ryouko", or whenever I decided to tag along with the Rebels, "R.S.S. Crusader", albeit, it really varies on a ship to ship basis.
The name I had for my shuttlecraft when I first played Escape Velocity back in 97
was "El Diablos", a name that hardly seems fitting for such a pitiful shuttlecraft.

I spend a lot of time thinking of the name for my next ship (although four of them are taken from Stephen Donaldson's Gap Series), here are the names of my current and previous vessels for your enjoyment:

Shuttle: Tripoli
Scoutship: Trumpet
Clipper: Captain's Fancy
Courier: Bright Beauty
Corvette: Brazen
Rapier: Soar
Kestrel: Sword of Halcyon

I'm opn the lookout for a name for my future rebel cruiser, although I'm quite keen on 'Agrippa'.

------------------

I usually use the stock names until I get to a good ship. I will name anything corvette or above. Names I use often are:
N.S. Peregrine
N.S. Invincible
N.S. Aurora
N.S. Xenon
I also use other names, but theses are ones that I will use again and again.

------------------
"...Until next time, take care of yourselves, and each other." Jerry Springer

Here are a few names I thought of; hope you like them!
H.M.S. Close Encounter
H.M.S. Hood - British battleship in WWII, largest and most heavily armed in the British navy at the time, sunk by German Battleship "Bismark" which would also make a good ship name.
S.S. Shifting Sands
Shadow Blade
Dark Voyeur
S.S. Minnow - named after the "Giligan's Island" cruise ship.
R.M.S. Stray Sheep
Crippled Cyclops
Fast Assassin
S.S. Lame Name
Best Name - "S.S. Flying Toaster"
H.R.M.S.S. Solar Winds
Asteroid Belt Buckle

Yeah, I think that's enough, which one do you like the best? I think "S.S. Flying Toaster" would be funny to see.

------------------
Captain of the "Rebellion's Demise"
A ship that should appear in EV Nova:
"Selur Rotceh Niatpac"

Originally posted by The_virus:
H.M.S. Hood - British battleship in WWII, largest and most heavily armed in the British navy at the time, sunk by German Battleship "Bismark" which would also make a good ship name.

Actually, most people don't know this, but it was actually the Prinz Eugen's shell that penetrated the Hood's magazines, even though the Bismark is often given credit for the sinking of the Hood. Anyway, no intention in changing the subject...

I liked the S.S. "Flying Toaster." 🙂

~Captain Skyblade

Visit my EVO website! (url="http://"http://artworks.tmgmedia.net")http://artworks.tmgmedia.net(/url)

Here are a few of mine, I find it easier to name ships the captains. I go for name with meaning to the ship; crew or me.
The Lady Helen- after a close freind of mine. The Lady Rose- The Stratvarrious in a james bond movie.
Uni-Matrix 01- 7of9's borg home (7of9 tertiary adjunct of uni-matrix 01) Raptor- means bird of prey.
Excalibur- um... well duh. Chimera- a mythical monster, also a term used for a creature which has been un-naturally cobbled together from parts of other creatures. Like an expiriment done that switched seqments of brain from a quail and chicken before they fully developed. The birds acted like the other type. This I use for some crews that I imagine are misfits and the ship will be heavily modified. Say I imagine a blind security/ tachtical officer who is something of a cross between LaForge and Warf of Star Trek the next Generation, or rplicant crew member from Blade Runner. Harpers song- mainly for non-combat ships. Whisperer- small quick fighter/merchant. Greek, Roman, or Norse gods work well, ie Asgard Serpent; Athenas blade; ect. or symbols Mobius; Epsilon 3; ect.
Then there are the things that seem mismatched ie Jaden Blade- jade is a symbol of wisdom in asia, and as such wisdom is never used as a weapon. So the use of a jaden blade is almost sacreligious, or to be more to the point a travesty of all that jade reprsents. Hence Travesty of the Jaden Blade. Or go with items from Sci-fi ie Gom'jabar (dune), Bishop (aliens), Friday (friday by heinlen) ect. or characters from classical Lit. Grendal, Othello, Tibult, Watson, Aslon (think narnia) ect.

------------------
...your amazing.
"No, I am better than that."

But if your looking for ship type names like scout shuttle ect. then these might work.
Mandelorian (Boba Fett), Draconian, Fremen, Bolian, Mimbari, Highguard, Jem'Hadar, Tealon, Jupiter1 and 2 (lost in space)
take a starwars spin and name them for the the world they were built on ie correllian; or take a Star trek spin and name them after a special ship ie Defiant class, intrepid class ect. or the easiest after astronomical objects or constalations ie nova, galaxy, nebula, orion, ect.
Types of cars or boats work too. Jaguar, yacht, Taurus

------------------
...your amazing.
"No, I am better than that."

some of my favorites are...
the spitfire
the nautilis
the rock
the nebucanezzar
the enterprize
correlian gunboat
correlian warship
R.S.S. Correlia
the O.R. destroyer (O.R. stands for OLD REPUBLIC)
the wraith
Super Heavy Battle Cruiser
Galactica
Mmm theirs a few more, but i wont list them(gotta keep some a secret)

------------------
Hmm, if your reading this, go play EVO RPG found at (url="http://"http://www.uevorpg.f2s.com")www.uevorpg.f2s.com(/url) have fun. i am yoda. any questions and comments may be directed towards me if you wish.
A JEDIS STRENGH FLOWS THROUGH THE FORCE

My latest ships have all been named the N.S. Variable.

------------------
"...Until next time, take care of yourselves, and each other." Jerry Springer

Well, here's my preferances as far as ship names goes like so:

Shuttle; scout, other small ships: Sputnik, Patink, Sparrow, Sidewinder

Mediumish; Amicaros, Thwump, Dadee-O

And for the Big Mofos; I always call it The Tukkaros (thus my Name)
I came up with that name playing MOO II, and I had just designed the latest class of battleship to defend my last planet from those Sakra fuhkahs, and being stoned at the time, I had a burst of creativity "The new ship shall be named the TUKKAROS! It will forever defend the Psilon homeworld from all alien races!" I essentially pulled this name right outa me ar5e. I needed only 2 of em to beat their entire feet, plus those two helped me finally defeat the Guardian at the battle of Orion. So, whenever I get a real good ship, I call it the Tukkaros. Thank you for your time.

------------------
Do not lead, for I will not follow, do not follow, for I will not lead. I am an anarchist!

My Rebel Destroyer is the Andromeda.
My Kestrel is the Cassius.
My Rebel Cruiser is the Phoenix Sunrise.

And of course, my faithful old Lightning, is the Darkwing.

------------------

When I got my first Argosy, I felt so cool, I called it "Booyah"...seriously. Now, my new 'Vette is called "Flying Falcon", although I'm aware that all falcons have the ability to fly.

------------------

I tend to use Hellfire as my ship name a lot. Black Death, <color> Diamond, and Fruitplate have also been used before.

------------------
Guilt, fear, mass insanity! Three cheers for Christianity!

Currently I am doing some UGE missions so my Kestrel is named the U.G.E.S. LightSpeed.
Other Names I like for my ships in both EV and EVO,
EVO
U.E.S. Constitution
U.E.S. Red Death.
U.E.S. Earth
U.E.S. Luna
V.S.S. HellFire-(Voinian)
V.S.S. Demon
EV
U.S.S. Constitution-(Confederates)
U.S.S. Tyrant
R.S.S. Freedom-(Rebels)
R.S.S. Democracy

------------------

Rebel Cruiser - St. Nicholas

Confed Cruiser - Toro

Rebel Destroyer - Vlad the Impaler

Confed Frigate - The Rocket

Kestrel - Talons

------------------

(This message has been edited by UE General (edited 03-18-2001).)

currently "Space Monkey"
I just think of em as i go along.

------------------
You can't have any puddin' if you don't eat yer meat!