Help (am dense), with basic/simple things not obvious to me

Bought the game,after I looked at the forums and tried to glean some tips.Did not help. I think I am dense because after HOURS all I got were a few food items, one song( Shield), got killed trying to get on a turtle and trying to get a crab for food, managed once to get on a seahorse (have no idea How to do so again), and wondered why I bothered. I couldn't get it to move and couldn't get off. I somehow stuck myself to a boulder that wouldn't let me go (forced to exit game ! to end that dilemma). I went in circles, saw red crystals, clicked Save, but I was just saving same places. Forget currents or seeing in the dark. When trying to mark the map, I type, for ex. ,Home Waters. I cannot get that screen to leave without hitting Esc. & then when I look at the map, I see no marker. Can someone explain like I really have no brain?-This game makes me feel very stupid.
1. When I go to the window to show me songs, it just says shield song and those 2 buttons. That must be all I possess and it doesn't shield me from enemies that I've noted. If I ever find another song, will it show me in that window all my songs?
2. If I get on something like a rock or seahorse how do I get OFF and how would N. be able to move with a rock?
Define binding please and how one gets it, does it and stops it ?
3. I get that some new song must allow her to change form. Does merely playing the notes turn her into a form? Do you leave her in the new form until another song can alter her form again or can you change her at your will, and how.
4. When someone here describes 1235,1236, etc. as song, where is 1 and does it go clockwise or reverse?--if I ever get there ! A child could figure this all out, but I am so clueless. I want to do more than swim in circles and end up hours later with just some healing foods and a shield song.
Sorry, for the long post. Figure I used up my 4 posts all in this one. I fear I will be back asking more, even if anyone helps me now. Forgive my obtuseness ahead of time. I am determined to master this game if it kills me.
I am 60 years old, love games. Need young minds to guide me through. Thanks.

You get on seahorses by swimming up and right-clicking on them. You can make them move by singing - sing in the direction you want the horse to move. It's harder to control but moves much faster.

If you get stuck to a wall, just click away from the wall and you'll push off.

I don't remember how to set markers. I had trouble with that at first and just decided to ignore that feature. Once I finally figured it out, I found that I didn't need them, and never actually consulted the ones I set.

Your list of songs will grow throughout the game. The window that shows you your songs will only show the ones you've obtained thus far.

The shield reduces damage you take from physical attacks (I think). However, its most useful function is to repel projectile attacks, most of which bounce off it harmlessly.

The bind song is found in the verse cave, which is located somewhere south of your home. You need to figure out how to open a door in the cave to get it. The clue is located elsewhere in the cave. Hint: it involves singing. 😛

Once you get the bind song, you'll be able to move rocks, get energy form, and by that time you should hopefully be well on your way.

QUOTE (cheleball @ Jun 2 2009, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You get on seahorses by swimming up and right-clicking on them. You can make them move by singing - sing in the direction you want the horse to move. It's harder to control but moves much faster.

If you get stuck to a wall, just click away from the wall and you'll push off.

I don't remember how to set markers. I had trouble with that at first and just decided to ignore that feature. Once I finally figured it out, I found that I didn't need them, and never actually consulted the ones I set.

Your list of songs will grow throughout the game. The window that shows you your songs will only show the ones you've obtained thus far.

The shield reduces damage you take from physical attacks (I think). However, its most useful function is to repel projectile attacks, most of which bounce off it harmlessly.

The bind song is found in the verse cave, which is located somewhere south of your home. You need to figure out how to open a door in the cave to get it. The clue is located elsewhere in the cave. Hint: it involves singing. 😛

Once you get the bind song, you'll be able to move rocks, get energy form, and by that time you should hopefully be well on your way.

I very much appreciate your taking the time to respond. Some of what you said I'd read on forums. I did study up before buying. Did not help much. My problems with the info. was that it was to non-specific for me. Yesterday after 4 hours I found a Song Cave, which I know I need to get the bind thing, but I scoured and hit song buttons to no avail. I got to the huge door but nothing I did worked. I do not see any relationship betw. the symbols & the colors of the song buttons. Therefore, I guess I need someone to Translate....All I see are curly things mostly and that only corresponds with the blue. The other symbols do not. If this eludes me, I will never advance. I figure once someone gives me a complete spoiler for this song cave/bind song, then I may have an AHA moment and a lightbulb may turn on. I am afraid I will be just gathering food and getting sent back to N's home, and that will be the extent of my game. I hope someone will help me over this hump. Thank you for your willingness to respond to my original post.