Uplink is a Game, Not Real Hacking

you are on a game company's website

UPLINK IS A GAME

Hi folks! If you came across this site and thought for some reason that Uplink was anything more than a game, you are wrong. We don't do real hacking, most of us don't know about real hacking, and nobody here will help you with real hacking. This is a game company's website, and these forums are for discussing their games. This particular forum is for discussion of a GAME called Uplink. In the game, players pretend as if they are hacking. But in fact, the hacking portrayed in Uplink is incredibly unrealistic and not instructional in any way, shape, or form.

If you are interested in various real-life security measures to protect yourself from real-life hackers, this is not the place to be either. Just Tech might be able to help you a bit, or at least point you in the right direction when it comes to spyware detection, firewalls, and other computer security issues. But they will not assist you in anything illegal, so don't bother to ask.

UPLINK IS A GAME

Oh, now you tell us.

Do you realise, those words were the first thing I ever posted on these boards?

It's really very sad that this is necessary.

Indeed.
Humans suck.
Everyone should just become a rampant A.I.
Durandal is my homie.

Wait, this is because of that guy, wizwa or whatever.

And yeah, it is really sad that people are so desparte for somewhere to learn how to hack, that they don't take ten seconds to glance over the boards and realize that this is a game, not a tool.

Hey kids, want to learn how to hack? just send 50 dollars to.....

if idiots are coming on the board asking, you might as well get some money off em

Gamerman, on Dec 7 2004, 09:32 PM, said:

Wait, this is because of that guy, wizwa or whatever.

And yeah, it is really sad that people are so desparte for somewhere to learn how to hack, that they don't take ten seconds to glance over the boards and realize that this is a game, not a tool.
View Post

Him and 20 other people. There have been many requests for real hacking information in the past.

OMG i bort dis compoopar and i presd bttns nd it md noysis nd nw it sez 'c driv bng dfrgmntd' btw how to h4xx compoopars tll me or i will h4xx ur compoopar!!!!!!!!111!!!!!!!!!1111111!11 plz

(Uh-oh, 21)

Seriously, what is the point of hacking? You break into someone else's computer. It's sad. You're gonna get caught. Don't even bother. Go play sport.

This post has been edited by Agent_Vast : 10 December 2004 - 01:48 PM

mrxak, on Dec 10 2004, 02:13 AM, said:

Him and 20 other people. There have been many requests for real hacking information in the past.
View Post

It's funny, you would think that these people would at least check the board in depth, before the openly request info on how to hack.

It's kind of like walking into a club, that you think is where a gang that you want to join meets, and don't check to make sure you are right. Instead you just yell loudly, I WANT TO JOIN THE GANG.

That might not have made any sense...

That actually made a lot of sense.
Very good metaphor.

Rickton, on Dec 14 2004, 04:58 PM, said:

That actually made a lot of sense.
Very good metaphor.
View Post

Thank you very much!

Again, to reiterate, discussion on real hacking does not belong here. Please do not post about real hacking on this forum.

Achilles, on Dec 8 2004, 10:46 AM, said:

Hey kids, want to learn how to hack? just send 50 dollars to.....

if idiots are coming on the board asking, you might as well get some money off em
View Post

While it isn't particularly scrupulous, it would still be interesting to see how many people DID send $50.

After all...trust is a weakness.

However much it was, I want a cut. I'm the one who has to deal with it here (and in my email inbox, believe it or not).

It really is sad that this is necessary. I know many hackers, and if most of them found out about this, they'd say: "WTF? The guy isn't even smart enough to actually look at the board?!?! He's toast in the real world."

No, the scary thing is, somebody might try to use some of the info here in RL hacking, get caught, and turn around and sue Ambrosia because the information here is 'incorrect'. And if you think that's unlikly, just DON'T forget where we live...

Uh...except the information here COULDN'T be used, because about the only "real" program in Uplink is the Dictionary Cracker.

What do you mean by telling these people that uplink is a game?!?!?! SHAME ON YOU!!! j00 f00 gunna get hakked b/c i is da gr8est uplink uz0r in da //0|21D!!!!!!!

I have millions in my bank account! MY DADDY WILL TELL ON YOU!!!!

fear me if you dare.

Rickton, on Apr 23 2005, 09:21 AM, said:

Uh...except the information here COULDN'T be used, because about the only "real" program in Uplink is the Dictionary Cracker.
View Post

Nahh, not entirely. They COULD exist. I just wouldn't feel like sitting and coding them all myself, either.

:ninja: code monkeys are coming to eat my brains.... help... me....

Yeah, Ender thought it was just a game, too. Didn't he?