[Help] Uplink 1.6 Crash

That's a theoretical situation. You haven't actually told us where you got your license.
Either way, "John" could have just said he bought the license when he actually pirated it.

Or you could just have pirated a license and the whole John story has nothing to do with anything.

This post has been edited by Rickton : 14 July 2009 - 09:42 AM

Also, licenses do expire. It should tell you that you have an expired license when you try to enter it (and, once entered, it should remain valid), but if it didn't, you might get an error. If your friend actually did get a valid license which has since expired, then he can go to the lostcodes page, enter his email, and get a new, valid license to give to you.

xander

Provided that John ceases using Uplink as soon as he gives it to Philip; licenses are usually only authorized for use for 1 computer, unless the person who bought the license specified that the he wanted multiple copies. If you use the same license at the same time on two or more computers it's a violation of the Uplink license agreement, and could be considered software piracy.

I'm still unconvinced that you have a valid license. You haven't told us where you got the license, and after all, an honest man has nothing to fear...

QUOTE (JacaByte @ Jul 18 2009, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm still unconvinced that you have a valid license. You haven't told us where you got the license, and after all, an honest man has nothing to fear...

The error is caused by using an invalid license. If he has reason to believe that he has a valid license, then we should be trying to help him figure out the problem. We aren't going to help him pirate a license, and if he doesn't have a valid license because he is pirating the key, then none of the advice we are giving is going to change anything. However, being @$$holes to him isn't going to help. Either he is a pirate, and will give up eventually, or he is a legitimate user, and being rude or hostile to him gains us nothing.

xander

QUOTE (darwinian @ Jul 18 2009, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The error is caused by using an invalid license. If he has reason to believe that he has a valid license, then we should be trying to help him figure out the problem. We aren't going to help him pirate a license, and if he doesn't have a valid license because he is pirating the key, then none of the advice we are giving is going to change anything. However, being @$$holes to him isn't going to help. Either he is a pirate, and will give up eventually, or he is a legitimate user, and being rude or hostile to him gains us nothing.

xander

if he is a legitimately licensed user then ultimately he should be emailing help@ambrosiasw.com.

QUOTE (darwinian @ Jul 18 2009, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We aren't going to help him pirate a license, and if he doesn't have a valid license because he is pirating the key, then none of the advice we are giving is going to change anything. However, being @$$holes to him isn't going to help. Either he is a pirate, and will give up eventually, or he is a legitimate user, and being rude or hostile to him gains us nothing.

Huh? What's so different about what I said versus everybody prior that turns me into an "@$$hole"? I knew all this already, what's your point in reiterating it?

QUOTE (JacaByte @ Jul 18 2009, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Huh? What's so different about what I said versus everybody prior that turns me into an "@$$hole"? I knew all this already, what's your point in reiterating it?

My point was that there is no reason to debate whether or not he has a valid license or not. Most of this thread is a debate about whether or not the license is valid, and that is not productive, and makes several of the posters in this thread look like @$$holes. Either we assume that he has a valid license, and a reason that the license appears not to be valid, in which case we point him to lost codes (or, as rudy pointed out, email), or we assume that he is a pirate, and ignore him.

xander

Is the problem simply that it doesn't run on Leopard or Snow Leopard anymore? Because my trial has this same problem. Also, Uplink won't start up at all in Rosetta mode, showing up in the dock for a split second. Is this simply the problem? Has it been tested? Is Uplink simply not compatible with 10.5 and up? Because if this is so, there was no need for all this fighting in the first place.

...Though, this would be a very sad conclusion, because I adore Uplink.

Uplink works fine for me in Snow Leopard.

QUOTE (starly396 @ Sep 28 2009, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is the problem simply that it doesn't run on Leopard or Snow Leopard anymore? Because my trial has this same problem. Also, Uplink won't start up at all in Rosetta mode, showing up in the dock for a split second. Is this simply the problem? Has it been tested? Is Uplink simply not compatible with 10.5 and up? Because if this is so, there was no need for all this fighting in the first place.

...Though, this would be a very sad conclusion, because I adore Uplink.

As was stated above, the problem is caused by an invalid license being used. End of story.

xander