Uplink for iPhone?

Any chance of a version of Uplink being ported to iPhone?

Thanks,
Steve

This post has been edited by Steve247 : 05 September 2008 - 02:59 PM

This is the part where I casually watch Rudy slit his own throat in despair 😉

I doubt it could be ported to iPhone. The graphics would have to be tiny. Just look at this edited photo of what Uplink would be like on an iPhone...

Posted Image

Don't you think that would be kind of... difficult to play?

This post has been edited by S.S. Valor : 07 September 2008 - 03:04 PM

I bet it would be easier to enter in IP addresses. But that would be quite small, the iphone would need a pen to access all the interface features.

iPhone Uplink is possible. All you'd have to do is change the layout and make the UI smaller.

That is, if you can port the engine onto the iPhone. Which is most likely very difficult/impossible.

It also couldn't be a full port. You'd have to simplify the game quite a bit. I don't know what you would cut, perhaps the ability to choose missions, you would just follow a set story line(possibly get to choose which one at the beginning), and you would never get caught.

@jean-luc-picard, on Sep 13 2008, 03:38 PM, said in Uplink for iPhone?:

It also couldn't be a full port. You'd have to simplify the game quite a bit. I don't know what you would cut, perhaps the ability to choose missions, you would just follow a set story line(possibly get to choose which one at the beginning), and you would never get caught.

...which basically ruins half the fun of the game.e

I think the idea is intriguing - but I'm sure the people here know what they're talking about when they say it's impossible 🙂

Even if it was possible, it isn't going to happen. Ambrosia doesn't actually code their games, and the people who originally coded Uplink for Mac don't even exist anymore. And I doubt Introversion is going to do it either, they seem to have pretty much moved on from Uplink to other things.
Of course there's the Onlink people, but we/they have so much on the plate that it's not going to happen.

@rickton, on Sep 16 2008, 08:39 PM, said in Uplink for iPhone?:

Even if it was possible, it isn't going to happen. Ambrosia doesn't actually code their games, and the people who originally coded Uplink for Mac don't even exist anymore. And I doubt Introversion is going to do it either, they seem to have pretty much moved on from Uplink to other things.
Of course there's the Onlink people, but we/they have so much on the plate that it's not going to happen.

Wait, wait... They don't exist anymore? What, did they spontaneously combust?

@capt--radio-willy, on Sep 21 2008, 07:20 AM, said in Uplink for iPhone?:

Uplink was ported by Contraband, which is now defunct. It was a one man operation, the man had an operation, and now she works for EA (or something like that).

xander

@capt--radio-willy, on Sep 21 2008, 03:20 AM, said in Uplink for iPhone?:

OK, OK, the people exist, but the group doesn't.

It's... I err, WHAT?

"College launches iPhone videogame course" http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/09/22/qa...college_iphone/

But in all seriousness, Uplink for iPhone would be just plain silly.

Funny. I was thinking of looking into this after I released Onlink 0.2. Someone asked the same thing of me.

Thing is, I have the SDK and that's about all my qualifications. I have no iPhone, no iPod touch (nor desire to get one, my classic 80GB suits me fine), and no idea what frameworks are supported.

Up/Onlink uses OpenGL, SDL, and a large amount of "other" items that probably won't play nicely (mikmod, for a start. Furiously angry little thing).

If anyone wants to check these things for me, that would be super. I'm working 8 hours a day in addition to coding my mod, so I don't have a lot of time. Short of the long: I'm not even going to look and see if it's possible until after I have a viable beta release (this time, a release for the Mac as well).

This post has been edited by Miah Helpmann : 22 September 2008 - 11:46 AM

iPhone has OpenGL. Gucci and soundgarden depend on SDL, but they wouldn't be too hard to rewrite. Mikmod should really just get replaced with a music format like OGG.

@prophile, on Sep 23 2008, 11:44 AM, said in Uplink for iPhone?:

iPhone has OpenGL. Gucci and soundgarden depend on SDL, but they wouldn't be too hard to rewrite. Mikmod should really just get replaced with a music format like OGG.

iPhone does OGG?

If you compile libogg and libvorbis for it, yes.