new user file problems

Uplink seems to get stuck....

Hi,

Here's the deal. In the old version of uplink I duplicated my user as a backup at key points (i.e. before I played a storyline or after my first big bank hack). This always seem to work.

In the new version I've made "backup" copies of my user file (the .usr file under App. Support/Uplink). Up until now fine BUT now the game forgets my progress with any user. They are all STUCK where they were duplicated and forget what I've played after that point. I have no clue what the problem could be. I've taken the user files out of the uplink folder, deleted them; recreated etc. etc....

Now there might be a "correct" way for "importing/exporting" user files. Other than the duplication of the file I would have no idea how the correct process is and would be thankful to anybody who could point me in the right direction

If anybody has an idea I would be very grateful. Thanks to whomever for bringing the game to a universal release.

Cheers Phillyman

attached part of the log file

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Phillyman : 19 May 2008 - 10:06 AM

Funny,

I just checked my old posts and posted about the EXACT same problem a couple of years ago... Then it was an addon.. Not this time, at least I wouldn't have found an addon.

Another thing I noticed, even if I remove the "default" user, it's temp file and the curagent.usr file. It doesn't show up at the login screen the first time but after that it's back... So I'm certainly missing something just what?

Again thanks for any help,

Phillyman

I actually encountered something very similar to this during the beta. It seems if you duplicate a profile and leave it in the ~/Library/Application Support/Uplink/ folder, and just have the filename changed, Uplink has all sorts of problems. The best way to backup I've found is to duplicate the entire Uplink folder in ~/Library/Application Support/. This saves all your different users, as well as your preferences and doesn't cause any problems. If you do just want to back up a single user, move the copy out of the Uplink folder and store it somewhere else. If you delete all extra copies of your user from that folder it should start working properly again.

@andcarne, on May 19 2008, 07:29 PM, said in new user file problems:

I actually encountered something very similar to this during the beta. It seems if you duplicate a profile and leave it in the ~/Library/Application Support/Uplink/ folder, and just have the filename changed, Uplink has all sorts of problems. The best way to backup I've found is to duplicate the entire Uplink folder in ~/Library/Application Support/. This saves all your different users, as well as your preferences and doesn't cause any problems. If you do just want to back up a single user, move the copy out of the Uplink folder and store it somewhere else. If you delete all extra copies of your user from that folder it should start working properly again.

thanks Andcarne for your reply. The complete delete seems to allow the original to continue to work properly. BUT your trick with the folder doesn't work for me.. I duplicated the folder, moved it, the original worked and remembered progress. I thought GREAT! 🙂 When I exchanged the folders and renamed the folder uplink, it started out well but then again forgot my place and somehow came back with the original user is the user list even though that folder (including the usr file) were on my desktop.

So at least I can preserve my user but does anybody have an idea on what the problem is and how to fix it? thanks, phillyman

@phillyman, on May 19 2008, 02:15 PM, said in new user file problems:

thanks Andcarne for your reply. The complete delete seems to allow the original to continue to work properly. BUT your trick with the folder doesn't work for me.. I duplicated the folder, moved it, the original worked and remembered progress. I thought GREAT! 🙂 When I exchanged the folders and renamed the folder uplink, it started out well but then again forgot my place and somehow came back with the original user is the user list even though that folder (including the usr file) were on my desktop.

So at least I can preserve my user but does anybody have an idea on what the problem is and how to fix it? thanks, phillyman

Just to check, you are doing this switching back in with the game quit, right? Results could be rather... odd if you're moving around the savegame files while it's running.

Other then that, I have no idea how it could be getting confused when moving the whole directory.

@andcarne, on May 20 2008, 04:42 AM, said in new user file problems:

Just to check, you are doing this switching back in with the game quit, right? Results could be rather... odd if you're moving around the savegame files while it's running.

Other then that, I have no idea how it could be getting confused when moving the whole directory.

Yes I agree I really can't figure out how it could remember something with the drastic move of moving the complete folder. Your assumption that I duplicated and moved directories when the game wasn't running is correct.

It's not the end of world but puzzling it certainly is.

Thanks for trying,

Phillyman

OK, I backtracked to an older version of my backup and that seems to work... Probably in trying to figure out what the original problem was I somehow corrupted the user. BUT in general backing up the whole uplink file in app support as Andcarne suggests works.

Thanks,

Phillyman