Uplink 2?

Will we see an Uplink 2?

Will we see an Uplink 2?

I'm certain the community could pile on enough creative ideas to make a new game.

Here are some of my ideas.

- Keyboard control and hotkeys. The whole game could potentially be controlled with the keyboard, which would be cool.

- Global routing screen seems pointless. No benefit how you string them together? Give it more purpose.

- Login screens and menus of different servers should look different. Would gives servers personalities like they were truly run by different companies.

- IRC chats more "real". Basic recognition of key phrases in typed questions like old text-adventure games were capable of.

- Make Uplink HQ not the source of all software tools in the game. Some "special" tools or advanced software must be found and bought / stolen from other hackers who you "meet".

- Stolen software and other non-Uplink HG software has the potential to be virus infected. Virus might delete files from your gateway, affect the performance of your gateway or make you easier to trace. Software from Uplink HQ is always virus free. Virus scanners / virus killers of can be bought from Uplink HQ for a price related to their capability. Uplink HQ can be paid a fee to do a virus check / sweep on a gateway.

- More interaction with the "real world" beyond sending and receiving e-mail messages with it.

Example: A mission that requires the agent to hack open electronic locks and disarm security systems in co-operation with a thief. The thief communicates his movement through the physical building and tells his hacking needs to the agent who must respond to get the thief to his objective and escape. The agent must cope with the pressure of timing the security breaks and temporary brown-outs he creates with the movements of the thief who is trying to avoid cameras, motion sensors and security guards.

Example: Agent must keep tabs on the police's awareness of him and work to throw them off the trail. Beyond simply erasing log files on servers. Seeding disinformation. Avoiding police cyber-stings meant to trap agents. Setting up & blackmailing other hackers. Even hacking police records.

- Possible story-lines:
Uplink comes under attack from a rival organization. Agent must help counter the attack through progressive investigation and hacking.

Agent becomes the target of a rival hacker. Agent must investigate who it is and counter their efforts.

No.

xander

Wasn't Darwinia supposed to be Uplink 2? That was just something I heard...

@cippy, on Aug 7 2006, 02:12 AM, said in Uplink 2?:

Wasn't Darwinia supposed to be Uplink 2? That was just something I heard...

Darwinia is the second game made by Introversion software, the creators of Uplink. If you wish, you could look upon it as a prequel to Uplink, as it is possible that they take place in the same game universe, but they are not directly related. IV have repeatedly stated that they have no plans to create a sequel to Uplink (or Darwinia, for that matter, and probably not to Defcon, either).

xander

Some one with some business sense and some cash should buy the Uplink franchise from them and make Uplink 2 - if Introversion isn't interested in doing it themselves. It's an easy game to dream up improvements for and doesn't require millions of dollars worth of 3D animations to appeal to fans.

@analog-kid, on Aug 8 2006, 09:41 PM, said in Uplink 2?:

Some one with some business sense and some cash should buy the Uplink franchise from them and make Uplink 2 - if Introversion isn't interested in doing it themselves. It's an easy game to dream up improvements for and doesn't require millions of dollars worth of 3D animations to appeal to fans.

This has come up before (I think) and Introversion has said they're not going to sell (I think). There's nothing wrong with leaving it as a single game and choosing to not make money with it.

This post has been edited by nfreader : 10 August 2006 - 01:23 PM

@nfreader, on Aug 9 2006, 03:09 PM, said in Uplink 2?:

This hsa come up before (I think) and Invision has said they're not going to sell (I think). There's nothing wrong with leaving it as a single game and choosing to not make money with it.

Invision != Introversion

Also, the source is publically available, and can be bought from the Introversion Store. So, if someone really wanted to develop another Uplink game, they probably could (some restrictions apply).

xander

@darwinian, on Aug 9 2006, 12:21 PM, said in Uplink 2?:

Invision != Introversion

iSuck.

Man, I saw Wargames the other day, it really made me want to hack into Protovision ;).

@mrxak, on Aug 15 2006, 04:49 AM, said in Uplink 2?:

Man, I saw Wargames the other day, it really made me want to hack into Protovision ;).

Or play Defcon?

xander

'cept Defcon's not out yet ;).