call bouncing

hey, im new to uplink (read my other topic) and i need some help on call bouncing. for the first few missions, ive just selected in random order, some of the locations like IntelNIC or whatever it is, uplink public access server, the bank one, and the international services. this has given me enough time to do what i needed and cover up my traces, but now i know that ive gotten to some more difficult missions, i know this wont work. what should i do to ensure i have a long time to hack into a site without them tracing me?

AbsoluteDrums714, on Sep 26 2004, 06:06 PM, said:

hey, im new to uplink (read my other topic) and i need some help on call bouncing. for the first few missions, ive just selected in random order, some of the locations like IntelNIC or whatever it is, uplink public access server, the bank one, and the international services. this has given me enough time to do what i needed and cover up my traces, but now i know that ive gotten to some more difficult missions, i know this wont work. what should i do to ensure i have a long time to hack into a site without them tracing me?
View Post

Buy better software which enables you to dial and connect quicker etc

Also, I would recommend always bouncing through either InterNIC or the Uplink Test Machine as your first bounce, because they are easy to delete your logs off of and if you're caught (which is actually impossible for InterNIC), you won't get in trouble.

Here's a tip on call-bouncing:

If you hack an IP successfully with an "admin" code, delete all log entries relevant to your hacking, and disconnect before the trace gets to far along (bouncing thru several sites works well), the admin code should remain active after you disconnect. You can verify this on the HUD: IP's with an active admin code have a solid square outline around them.

It takes a trace program MUCH longer to trace thru a site with an active admin code.

Setting up several of these sites and then bouncing your call through them on a mission can add a significant amount of time to your hack.

Shadowrunner, on Oct 8 2004, 03:57 AM, said:

Here's a tip on call-bouncing:

If you hack an IP successfully with an "admin" code, delete all log entries relevant to your hacking, and disconnect before the trace gets to far along (bouncing thru several sites works well), the admin code should remain active after you disconnect. You can verify this on the HUD: IP's with an active admin code have a solid square outline around them.

It takes a trace program MUCH longer to trace thru a site with an active admin code.

Setting up several of these sites and then bouncing your call through them on a mission can add a significant amount of time to your hack.
View Post

Keep in mind. Use the admin account too much for bouncing and it will get revoked on you pretty quick. And the password changes on a regular basis anyway.

your first connection must be an easy access to the logs so that later you can delete. try to hack the computer then log out. do it for 3 or more times to other computer. then delete the logs in the (InterNIC) now you have an active trace. then hack your target computer using the computer line that you hack earlier. if you had a 1.2 version of uplink, you can create your own gate way. I had done it several times. 🆒

On a sidenote, there really is an InterNIC!

Click here!

Kemorya, on Nov 1 2004, 04:31 PM, said:

On a sidenote, there really is an InterNIC!
View Post

Nice!

I thought that it was just something that they made up.

Gamerman, I think someone should tell you that around here, posting in topics that are very old is not a very good thing to do.
This is called gravedigging (or sometimes necromancy) and is frowned upon.

Rickton, on Nov 11 2004, 11:35 PM, said:

Gamerman, I think someone should tell you that around here, posting in topics that are very old is not a very good thing to do.
This is called gravedigging (or sometimes necromancy) and is frowned upon.
View Post

To be fair, the last post before his was only 9 days ago. That's not long in the great scheme of things.

Oh wait, yeah...I read that wrong. Sorry. Ignore what I said.

Go to InterNIC. Don't bother bouncing. Go to the other choice besides the log one, and grab about a dozen links by clicking the plusses. You'll then have plenty of time to hack to your heart's desire.

I usually create accounts on all the bank places because as the help at the UIS machine says, they won't like opening their records plus an account slows down active traces, I also bounce through all the government systems and the Uplink systems and I always delete my logs on both InterNIC AND the uplink test machine, i'm just paranoid 😛 .

Kryten, on Nov 13 2004, 08:29 AM, said:

I usually create accounts on all the bank places because as the help at the UIS machine says, they won't like opening their records plus an account slows down active traces....
View Post

Oooh! I hadn't thought of that one.

Normally, I just bounce through:
InterNIC
Uplink International Bank
Uplink Internal Services Machine
Uplink Test Machine
(Every other Public Access Server in the game; there's about 30-40, I think.)
Uplink Public Access Server

...but then, I'm not very far along in the game.