A PoG Challenge

And a race against Dominic

The problem: Part One.
There are quite a few players who have downloaded the demo version of Pillars of Garendall only to find that the area they can access is quite small. And after killing a gazillion goblins, there's not much to do while they wait for PoG to come on sale again.

The problem: Part Two.
There are a number of talented members who are waiting for a Coldstone update, hesitant to work on anything major before said update arrives.

The Challenge: Write a short (or not so short) plugin for PoG which can be totally played within the boundaries of the demo version of PoG to keep interest alive for both CS and PoG. Keep in mind the the demo version allows only one plugin to be loaded, so this will have to be playable without Trinity.

The Winners: Everybody's a winner if we do this. I'm starting mine tonight. If Dominic beats us then we're still all winners!

The race is on .....

~RD

I'm in!

Ledorax halts his game and starts working on a plugin.

Okay, I'm in too.

This will be totaly random. YES!!! All out blood-fest!!!!!!

-Did I say that out loud?

-Ummm, does anyone know if CGE works in Tiger? Cause it keeps on crashing under classic, and I'm running 10.4.1. I guess I'll have to boot up under OS 9 to work on this. Blast Sudden happiness over relizing homework must be done crud Oh well, I'll go do that now.

-Then I'll get back on and work my feindish devilry. He he heee!

Okay! 😄 The first plugin designed for the demo version of PoG has completed the beta testing phase. If you would like to play with this, you can download Gone Fishin' here. Comments, suggestions, or bugs can be sent to rduck@optonline.net

For those of you who are working on other plugins for the demo version, I think it would be a good idea to include somewhere in the readme the level you think the player should attain to be able to play your plugin.

Ok, I accept

HOC Revenge 🆒

Excuse me, but when the plugin must be completed?

HOC Revenge 🆒

No time limit. But obviously, the sooner the better in terms of getting playing material out to the PoG players who are stuck until registrations open again. If this is going to take you six months to do, it might not be worth the effort. 🙂

If the plugin is fun to play and has a good story line, it's welcome anytime.

We've had some discussion on the PoG board as to just what are the boundaries on the demo version. For the sake of those writing a plugin, this information belongs here rather than on that board.

Okay, using megah's technique, (see PoG forum for details) I have verified the boundaries of the demo version.

Player can go to Dernath and the Cyclopes camp.
As Lit Nerd said, player can go to the square just south of Gwyden Camp.
Player can purge the Ghost Swamp (and thus become a Squire.)
Player can go two squares south and one square west of Fantrima.
Player can open three tunnels; Fantrima, Learning Tree, and Dernath.
Player cannot go west from the Goblin Forest.
Player cannot cross the Tearos River at any point. However he can explore up and down the east bank of the river about two squares in each direction from the east River Portal if you carve a short path through the trees by the River Portal. This area is not included in the normal game, but access is not blocked once you are past the trees.
Player can also teleport into any square beyond the demo area if you give him the means to do so, but he cannot leave that square using it's normal boundaries. He would have to teleport out again. I strongly caution against using this tool because it defeats the purpose of the demo.

That gives plenty of area within which to write a plugin. The player has at least partial access to 29 squares.

Rubber Ducky, my plugin is ready. I've submitted in pog addons, now we must only wait.

The Lord of Storms

Lord of Storms, there are no pending files on either PoG or CS locations at this time. Where did you submit it?

To everyone: Rather than making an anouncement here that a plugin (or other file) has been submitted, send a PM (personal message) to me and I'll then check it out and place it on the addons page. Once it's verified and on the addons page, then you may announce it to the world. 🙂

HEY! I've submitted my plugin by two or three days! MY PLUGIN DON'T APPEARS!!!!

The Lord of Storms

Probably because a qualified moderator (such as RD) hasn't seen it yet and approved it. Are you sure you it finished uploading? There may not be anything for the mods to approve.

Thanks CI-Ia0s, but we had several PMs go back and forth before he solved the problem with the uploading.

To All: I'll say it again, Please notify one or more moderators by PM or email if your baby doesn't show up in the crib within a reasonable period of time. Two weeks is still a reasonable period of time for unpaid volunteer workers who sometimes have other lives to live.

Rubber Ducky, on Jun 26 2005, 05:35 AM, said:

... who sometimes have other lives to live.
View Post

We ... we do? Why didn't anyone TELL me!! 🙂

Rubber Ducky & Lord of Storms: good job making the best out of this update limbo. Here's hoping the update comes sometime.

Rubber, I've submitted the new version, but the plugins don't appears (I've submitted yesterday)

The Lord of Storms 🆒

Lord of Storms, on Jun 27 2005, 03:19 AM, said:

Rubber, I've submitted the new version, but the plugins don't appears (I've submitted yesterday)
View Post

Rubber Ducky, on Jun 24 2005, 06:41 AM, said:

To everyone: Rather than making an anouncement here that a plugin (or other file) has been submitted, send a PM (personal message) to me and I'll then check it out and place it on the addons page. Once it's verified and on the addons page, then you may announce it to the world. 🙂
View Post

Rubber Ducky, on Jun 26 2005, 05:35 AM, said:

To All: I'll say it again, Please notify one or more moderators by PM or email if your baby doesn't show up in the crib within a reasonable period of time. Two weeks is still a reasonable period of time for unpaid volunteer workers who sometimes have other lives to live.
View Post

Lord of Storms, please read the new pinned topic at the top of the page. You need some beta testers. I will volunteer to be one (if you want me) since I already know the plugin pretty well. You should have a couple more. I downloaded the latest version and there are still serious flaws in this plugin. I also suggest that you ask on the PoG forum for a tester who is using a Windows PC, preferably one who is still using the demo version.

Rubber Ducky, on Jun 27 2005, 12:13 PM, said:

Lord of Storms, please read the new pinned topic at the top of the page. You need some beta testers. I will volunteer to be one (if you want me) since I already know the plugin pretty well. You should have a couple more. I downloaded the latest version and there are still serious flaws in this plugin. I also suggest that you ask on the PoG forum for a tester who is using a Windows PC, preferably one who is still using the demo version.
View Post

But for you my plugin is ready?

However he can explore up and down the east bank of the river about two squares in each direction from the east River Portal if you carve a short path through the trees by the River Portal. This area is not included in the normal game, but access is not blocked once you are past the trees.

(/quote)

Dear Rubber Ducky,
Humm, you're talking about the broken archway in the square with 3 forest ogres? I have always thought that there was some way to get thru the trees in that area, but I have never been able to do it. Do I have to hack thru with an ax, or just walk into the trees at some particular point? (hint?)
I've spent literall hours bumping around there, not much else you can do without 'DA CODES'.
EasyEd