AvaraRedux alpha

@-carlet--wordfish, on Dec 31 2008, 09:05 AM, said in AvaraRedux alpha:

All the BSP models for Avara come with the download of the original game, if you have any way to use them.

Actually only select models are included outside the resource fork, and they are .dxf, and actually usable format. I just reasantly figured out how to extract the .bsp files from inside the Avara application, but it doesn't do me any good because there is no way to convert avara .bsps to anything useful. Regardless, I figured these models are what, 80 polys? I just modeled my own medium :o.

@-carlet--wordfish, on Dec 31 2008, 09:05 AM, said in AvaraRedux alpha:

Also, do you have a Scout?

No, and it is a very low priority.

Anyway, the reason for this post: how many players should I support? Right now my servers are 64 players, they can go up to 128, but I was thinking more along the lines of 12-16.

Input?

@macaran, on Dec 31 2008, 02:40 PM, said in AvaraRedux alpha:

Anyway, the reason for this post: how many players should I support? Right now my servers are 64 players, they can go up to 128, but I was thinking more along the lines of 12-16.

Unless there's some kind of serious performance issue, I say let the server operator set the limit to whatever they want. Something in the 8 to 16 player range makes sense as a default.

Hey Guys!

I saw the videos on youtube and I'm very impressed with everything done so far.
This project seems to have a good future and I would bet that it'll revive the classic avara scene/people once it's completed.

Please let me know if you need any help with any aspect of the project. My abilities include Audio: SFX, and Music production. Feel free to contact me if you need any help contributed in the future. I'm also available for windows beta testing and advice on "mimicking" the old engine.

Keep up the goodwork! ๐Ÿ™‚

Sincerely,

KeeL
Kyle Ward
www.kyle-ward.com

@macaran, on Dec 24 2008, 01:19 PM, said in AvaraRedux alpha:

Yellow, if you have an AIM email it to gcondon@gmail.com. My main development will be on windows, though I will do intel osx builds when I have access to my parent's/friend's macs.

I can certainly use level designers (this is not for the weak of heart) and models.

Right now I'm still implementing avara-like gameplay, and ironing out some network issues. After I get a single hector running top notch I will be adding the light/med/heavy and teams.

Next push will hopefully also include a UI that shows how many grenades/boosters/whatnot you have. Right now you have to keep track in your head! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Hello, I see that you've gotten farther then I have in regards to making an Avara game, to try and revive the community.

Awhile back, I myself tried... and I'm still working on it mind you, but, well.. I'm not a programmer, I don't know code. I am however, a modeler. I myself have about 2 1/2 years of experience in the 3D modeling program Maya.

In terms of modeling, I have completed a HECTOR model, based on the two flash screens from the original Avara. The most recent render of it can be found below:

Posted Image

Posted Image

This model has around 22000 trigons

This message is me, offering my services, for free, to you, if you want them. I myself used to play Avara for a bit, and I would love to work on this project with you.

The above message is a copy of the one I sent to you on youtube.

As to why it's free, the only catch is that I'll be able to use my work in this project, if you accept my offer, in my demo reel.

But ya, I hardly got anywhere because I don't know how to program, heh, and I'm still trying to come out with concepts for the small UFOs.

This post has been edited by Daedalus969 : 06 February 2009 - 04:24 AM

Holy crap a new AVARA in the works??? I think it was only about 10 years ago....

I'm super excited about this project. I'd love to see it happen, and see some old players come back!

- inteq

Wow. A running version of Avara again. Well, perhaps that will get me to put down my 360 controller and stop playing Hardcore Search and Destroy in COD4. ๐Ÿ˜„

Seriously, if this gets done, I'll pay you another $20 shareware fee. ๐Ÿ™‚

F. "prepare to get owned, though" Yu

I haven't checked back here for quite sometime but there is definitely progress being made here. It is great to see. I have personally been messing around with Java 3D a lot lately and while I'm not an expert in it (I recently figured out how to control the camera) I'm getting there... I would be willing to assist with this project but I'm not sure if I have enough knowledge to start working on a project this far in production.

Btw, I d/led the Redux version and it was so much fun to try out. Brought back so many memories :rolleyes:

Just as a status update, I had some medical issues that forced me to stop developing for a few months.

Currently I am trying to decide if I want to continue with what I have, or migrate to the new version of torque. On the minus side the new torque would cost me five hundred dollars, on the plus side it would let me import COLLADA files which would make things much simpler for me on the model side. (It would also let the game have a lot of modern special effects)

So I will see, I'm poking around again, but until I decide if I want to spend the $500 I'm at a slight impasse.

Good to hear the comments, I will stop by sometime next month and let you know how the finances look.

Cheers.

I'm glad to hear you're still around, and sorry to hear that you were sick!

It sounds like you're commited enough to perhaps rally some support. I would defanitly like to see this come to day light, and I wish you the best of luck. I won't comment on the torque problem, I don't think I can be tusted with a $500 decision.

If this game out i'll be ready to pay 60$ for this with paypal because i liked this game on my old Mac and imac G3 verys nice to see Avara remixed and also thanks for Windows version. i would like if someone could makes Avara(the classic) on it because, today i'm using Windows.....

Good news! I have purchased the upgrade to torque and will start porting what I have to it tomorrow. Look for some updates soon.

######ing awsome.

This has to be one of the coolest things I've seen all month - and certainly the most fun. I have a few suggestions which would make it unimpeachably perfect. Alas, they are also rather impractical.

1. Make it PPC Compatible
2. Give players a choice of 'modern' (all bells, all whistles, texture maps, fog, smoke, fire and masses of polygons) or 'classic' (just like 68k Avara) rendering.
3. Make it classic Avara compatible for network games so that New Avara can join Classic Avara games.

I don't want much do I?! Still, keep up the good work - as I say, even without my suggestions, this is the coolest thing I've seen in quite a while. ๐Ÿ˜„

This post has been edited by 45RPM Software : 21 May 2009 - 03:45 AM

Update:
After some work I've gotten all my code, save one file related to the graphical representation of missile lockons, to compile. Unfortunately compiling does not necessarily equate with running. I'm having some difficulty with the changed location of script files that is requiring a lot of troubleshooting before I can even run.

On the plus side I did manage to add a PostFX edge outliner that gives the game objects a block outline similar to cel shading, but retaining textures. It gives a very nice Avara like feel to the game well still having modern graphics. I like it a great deal personally.

I hope to have another multiplayer video showing off the new graphics in a month or two at the most.

Also, by the time I get that going, I'm going to have to start seriously thinking about level content. So if you are comfortable with a 3d modeling program that can export COLLADA files (needed to make non-terrain level assets) and are interested in designing levels or even just porting old Avara levels drop me a line at gcondon@gmail.com.

Best of luck to you all and I hope to see you all when Redux becomes playable O.o

Cheers.

Keep up the great work man!

I thought about holding back, I really did. I didn't want everyone to get discouraged and start remembering all the losses suffered in the past, and thinking about all the new losses that would inevitably come at my hands. Yet this gesture MacAran showed, updating the progress of the new Avara on my very birthday June 13, it was just too much. It made me realize that even though I may not have played Avara in some time, you all still hold me in your hearts so warmly and consider me such a vital part of the community. Well I must say thank you, for bringing back Avara and laying out the red carpet for me, your past and obvious future king of this hill. I look forward to beating every single one of you, and laughing, laughing, laughing...

EDG
ARH
ONS

Wow. Amazingly excited. Almost wet myself watching that video. I want to help in any way possible.

Contact me on Live messenger and/or email: warivha@msn.com

Look forward to playing some games again and to catch up with some old friends!

War <IVHA>

QUOTE (Edgar_Hons @ Jun 17 2009, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought about holding back, I really did. I didn't want everyone to get discouraged and start remembering all the losses suffered in the past, and thinking about all the new losses that would inevitably come at my hands. Yet this gesture MacAran showed, updating the progress of the new Avara on my very birthday June 13, it was just too much. It made me realize that even though I may not have played Avara in some time, you all still hold me in your hearts so warmly and consider me such a vital part of the community. Well I must say thank you, for bringing back Avara and laying out the red carpet for me, your past and obvious future king of this hill. I look forward to beating every single one of you, and laughing, laughing, laughing...

EDG
ARH
ONS

Listen to this fool.

Here's a first look at my new rendition of Bwadi. No multiplayer yet though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-thpfcKeMI

QUOTE (MacAran @ Jun 25 2009, 07:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's a first look at my new rendition of Bwadi. No multiplayer yet though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-thpfcKeMI

Looks beautiful! The excitement is building!