Can you turn off the music in DEFCON?

Can you turn off the music in DEFCON?

The sound volume control seems to affect both sound effects and music.

Sorry, mate, but after a quick run-through I found no option to disable the music.

@mackilroy, on Aug 18 2007, 02:14 AM, said in Can you turn off the music in DEFCON?:

Sorry, mate, but after a quick run-through I found no option to disable the music.

That's very disappointing. Like most video game music, by the 3'rd loop-through I'm sick of it.

Try the No Music mod.

xander

That might be handy. Thanks, xander.

@darwinian, on Aug 18 2007, 12:48 PM, said in Can you turn off the music in DEFCON?:

Try the No Music mod.

xander

The mod appears to be very Windows-centric?

@analog-kid, on Aug 22 2007, 03:06 AM, said in Can you turn off the music in DEFCON?:

The mod appears to be very Windows-centric?

Shouldn't be, no.

xander

EDIT: But I do see the confusion -- the first versions of DEFCON did not have good support for mods, so there were funky hacks to get around that. Extract the contents of the zip file, and move them to your Mods/ directory. Then activate the mod as you would any other. That should do it.

This must be for the registered version, correct? The demo does not have a "Mods" folder?

The music ruins the game for me. I wouldn't buy it unless I knew I could turn the music off.

@analog-kid, on Aug 25 2007, 12:30 AM, said in Can you turn off the music in DEFCON?:

This must be for the registered version, correct? The demo does not have a "Mods" folder?

The music ruins the game for me. I wouldn't buy it unless I knew I could turn the music off.

There is no mods folder by default. You have to create it. The correct location is:

~/Library/Application Support/DEFCON/Mods/

xander

Update:

Thanks to an excellent solution by "Montyphy" at the end of the following forum thread, I have been able to disable the music - and the very annoying sound of the sobbing woman as well!

http://forums.introv...opic.php?t=1837

It turns out, all you need to do is extract the file named "sounds.txt" from the main.dat file within the DEFCON.app. Edit it to your liking, then copy the file to the "data" folder of DEFCON.app. (No need to get it back into main.dat - I couldn't figure out how to do that without causing the game to crash at startup.)

This post has been edited by Analog Kid : 14 March 2008 - 09:55 PM

@analog-kid, on Mar 15 2008, 03:54 AM, said in Can you turn off the music in DEFCON?:

It turns out, all you need to do is extract the file named "sounds.txt" from the main.dat file within the DEFCON.app. Edit it to your liking, then copy the file to the "data" folder of DEFCON.app. (No need to get it back into main.dat - I couldn't figure out how to do that without causing the game to crash at startup.)

I wasnt sure how to make this work. On my DEFCON.app, there is no "data" folder by default. Making the folder under Resources or dropping the sound.txt there also had no effect 😞

@cartel, on Oct 4 2010, 08:40 AM, said in Can you turn off the music in DEFCON?:

I wasnt sure how to make this work. On my DEFCON.app, there is no "data" folder by default. Making the folder under Resources or dropping the sound.txt there also had no effect 😞

The data/ folder is created when you unarchive any of the .dat files.

xander