A Proposal

Concerning GTW

I wish to propose a temporary cessation of Global Thermonuclear War for a period of no less than 1 month following the conclusion of the current game. I believe people are growing bored with it, as evidenced by lack of participation even by enthusiastic players at sign-up. We've been playing solidly for 15 months now, and I fear people's hearts just aren't in it anymore.

As the adage goes, absence makes the heart grow fonder. A brief respite may help all of us to grow more enthusiastic for the game, and much more willing to make active participation a priority when games resume.

Obviously if you guys all want to keep playing, I can't stop you. Well I can, but I won't. Nonetheless, I hope you see the wisdom in my proposal, and agree to it. Should we enact this idea, we can always discuss the game in the meantime. I think a healthy discussion on various strategies and hosting issues would spur further enthusiasm when the games begin anew.

I've been thinking the same thing for a while now, and I agree on all points.

I've no problems with that, I haven't played in the past few games anyhow. Plus, it seems the boredom that we've been experiencing has been going on for at least four or five games now. A break is a good thing.

I think it's a good idea, but not under the condition that people are getting bored with the game, but that the games have gotten boring. After a month or so, they will hopefully become interesting and spine tingling fun again. 🙂

Seconded.

I agree heartily with this. When only four people vote in a round with 9 players, and the majority is two votes, there's something wrong.

I agree with this proposal for two reasons. It allows me to get more work out of the way so I may be able to praticipate in the future games, and a break would allow me to work on my tactics to come up with my next plans as a terrorist and a normal player.

Sure, lets do it. Its a well timed break, as my life is gonna be a mess next month.

I completely agree. The current games are non-functional in every way. A break will hopefully help.

Let me know when you start a new game. I want to play.

Anybody else kinda missing GTW already? I hope so. Just another couple weeks and we can start it up again.

@mrxak, on Oct 30 2008, 09:42 PM, said in A Proposal:

Anybody else kinda missing GTW already? I hope so. Just another couple weeks and we can start it up again.

/me raises hand

How about a Thanksgiving special? Most of us will probably become free of any engagements we may have had, but then again most of us may leave to visit family and friends. I say we start it up again within the week, maybe starting a sign-up topic now and starting the game next Saturday, with the explicit statement that you must be available then?

Frankly, I'm not missing GTW, but I've been fairly busy over the last month so that's partly why.

JacaByte : we could start next Tuesday if we're going for exactly one month since the hiatus began. But Saturday would work too. Who would host, though?

I dunno. I've been sating my GTW-craving with a silly witch burning variant. It doesn't have nukes....

We can start it on Election Day. It's got that whole voting for people synergy. Thanksgiving week would be very hard for me, and I imagine many others.

Sounds great.

xander was slated to host next, but if he doesn't show, I guess I could host. I've got a radical idea for a game, but I think it'd work best for a larger game. If we don't have many players, I'll just host ye average game with IAs and EDs. Maybe I could set it in the 1960s to make things a bit more interesting... 😉

I hope your idea isn't radical...

Anyway, I still can't host. I do hope darwinian does it. He started our original run of games, he should start our second run.

I agree; xander should start the next session of games.

My idea requires about 20 to 30 participants in order to use, so my guess is that I would never be able to use it. Heck, I realized last night that it wouldn't be a GTW in the traditional sense, so it will never see the light of day. No worries there, I can assure you.

@mrxak, on Nov 2 2008, 03:14 PM, said in A Proposal:

Anyway, I still can't host. I do hope darwinian does it. He started our original run of games, he should start our second run.

I'm sorry, but I really don't have time right now, what with papers to write, math problems to complete, and games of Multiwinia to play. I probably could run a game, but it wouldn't be very good.

xander

@mrxak, on Nov 2 2008, 03:14 PM, said in A Proposal:

I'm sorry, but I really don't have time right now, what with papers to write, math problems to complete, and games of Multiwinia to play. I probably could run a game, but it wouldn't be very good.

xander