Return of the Pen

behold, it is the end of the peaceful Sketch world!

behold, it is the end of the peaceful Sketch world!
Well, not that there ever was one, but...

The Pen has returned! (for all you people who don't read titles) It has claimed an old broken down factory with only a few bugs and flickers left living, and regenerated all the machines to act as his guard. No one knows the whereabouts of the Pen in this huge factory, but the few witnesses still alive say that he has acquired a new form, even greater than before, and also assumed a new script. You must battle the factory machines and search the factory thoroughly for the Pen. If you find him, beware, beware, beware.... he has allies!

Defeat the Pen once and for all and take your place as a hero in the Hall of Fame!

Oh, and also, enjoy! If you, by some crazy weird chance actually find a mistake, ๐Ÿ˜ฎ please inform me on this topic, and feel free to post any questions or comments about the level here. I will post in on the add-ons page in a couple of days. ๐Ÿ™‚

Klublex

Attached File(s)

Insanely difficult in that I kept having to repeat rather long stretches in between save stations.
(I still liked this, though.)
๐Ÿ˜‰

Is this the map you were having trouble with? I can't download it at the moment (under Windows ๐Ÿต but I will when I reboot. ๐Ÿ™‚

Hey Klublex, I'm not sure what to say, but, I got through (this is an educated guess) about 3/4 ths of the level, then something strange happened. I killed a fighter, but it looked like another one appeared on top of it. When they both died, the bullets one of them fired stayed put, didn't move an inch. I needed to get through the corridor, so I had the take the hit. I ran them over and....... bam. The game crashed. It took me at least 30 minutes to get that far. I also cannot open up the level in the editor. Aside from that, great level!

QUOTE (Mackilroy @ Jun 8 2009, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is this the map you were having trouble with?

Yep. Any ideas?

Klublex

Hmm...I was able to open it up in the editor without any problems whatsoever.
And, although the game hadn't crashed once while I was playing it, I was only able to get as far as the "specimens" before my patience finally wore out and I gave up after exploding yet again. ๐Ÿ˜‰

This post has been edited by Lamkin : 09 June 2009 - 12:53 AM

QUOTE (Lamkin @ Jun 8 2009, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm...I was able to open it up in the editor without any problems whatsoever.
And, although the game hadn't crashed once while I was playing it, I was only able to get as far as the "specimens" before my patience finally wore out and I gave up after exploding yet again. ๐Ÿ˜‰

๐Ÿ™‚ Yay! ๐Ÿ™‚ Well, I guess it's just something with my computer, because you got past the part where the game was shutting down. Lamkin, do you think I should add more save stations? (I know they are spaced pretty far apart, and it can get pretty depressing) I will if you think the level's too hard to be fun. Anyway, thanks for playing! I'm glad to hear that it's just a computer problem. ๐Ÿ™‚

By the way, right after the specimens in the Fighter Science Academy there is another lab with land forms that is really cool, although just the scenery of it took me half a week to make.

Edit: Odie, it seems you are having similar troubles as me. ๐Ÿ˜ž However, when I played it the game crashed at the "Tour of Factory"/Fighter Science Academy intersection. I don't think it will crash again at that spot, I can, if you want, give you a copy with the fighters deleted or the Game Start just ahead of that spot. Just tell me.

Klublex

This post has been edited by Klublex : 09 June 2009 - 10:01 AM

The map is definitely too hard to play at the moment because of a lack of save points, especially at the beginning. That's something you're notorious for. ๐Ÿ˜‰

QUOTE (Klublex @ Jun 9 2009, 08:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lamkin, do you think I should add more save stations? (I know they are spaced pretty far apart, and it can get pretty depressing) I will if you think the level's too hard to be fun.

โ€ข The way you have the level set up now is that when the player fights and defeats a boss and then explodes a bit after that, the player has to defeat the boss again. I'd change that somehow and allow the player to save both before and after taking on each boss; the bosses are fun and aren't overly difficult, but it's frustrating to have to repeatedly defeat them again and again if you explode before getting to another save point.

โ€ข I'd strongly advise adding a save station at that Factory/Academy intersection. (The shields help, but not nearly enough.) Also, regarding that intersection, it seems that most of those red and blue turrets can't be destroyed by either the red or the blue gun, respectively.

โ€ข I realize you're partial to the cool save stations that disappear after having used them only once, but I think adding a few regular save stations wouldn't hurt. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I have found that I am out of practice. I can't believe it! oh well, I guess I will have to get into the practice of playing more, unless I want you guys to become waaaaaay better than I am. actually, you already are way better. Oh well!

-K

QUOTE (Klublex @ Jun 9 2009, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

๐Ÿ™‚ Yay! ๐Ÿ™‚ Well, I guess it's just something with my computer, because you got past the part where the game was shutting down. Lamkin, do you think I should add more save stations? (I know they are spaced pretty far apart, and it can get pretty depressing) I will if you think the level's too hard to be fun. Anyway, thanks for playing! I'm glad to hear that it's just a computer problem. ๐Ÿ™‚

By the way, right after the specimens in the Fighter Science Academy there is another lab with land forms that is really cool, although just the scenery of it took me half a week to make.

Edit: Odie, it seems you are having similar troubles as me. ๐Ÿ˜ž However, when I played it the game crashed at the "Tour of Factory"/Fighter Science Academy intersection. I don't think it will crash again at that spot, I can, if you want, give you a copy with the fighters deleted or the Game Start just ahead of that spot. Just tell me.

Klublex

Tell you what, I'll try to scrape together the patience to get to that part again. I'll take a picture of it for you (or I'll try, and my version of snap pro X isn't registered). The level isn't to hard, but it is time consuming. Having the game crash after about 30 minutes was very depressing.
And like I said, it isn't openable in the editor.

QUOTE (Lamkin @ Jun 9 2009, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

โ€ข The way you have the level set up now is that when the player fights and defeats a boss and then explodes a bit after that, the player has to defeat the boss again. I'd change that somehow and allow the player to save both before and after taking on each boss; the bosses are fun and aren't overly difficult, but it's frustrating to have to repeatedly defeat them again and again if you explode before getting to another save point.

โ€ข I'd strongly advise adding a save station at that Factory/Academy intersection. (The shields help, but not nearly enough.) Also, regarding that intersection, it seems that most of those red and blue turrets can't be destroyed by either the red or the blue gun, respectively.

โ€ข I realize you're partial to the cool save stations that disappear after having used them only once, but I think adding a few regular save stations wouldn't hurt. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks for all the suggestions. ๐Ÿ™‚ I'll post an updated copy later today, with more save stations. And trust me, Odie, I know how frustrating it is to get 30 minutes in and have the game crash. (It happened to me twice while beta-testing <_< ) Anyway, I'm glad to here all the comments and then most of you guys aren't having game-crash problems.

Klublex

Also, Lamkin, the Fighter Science Academy red turrets can be destroyed by the red gun, and the blue ones by the yellow gun. I just noticed in the editor that I had accidentally given you all of the color weapons at the start. Did that come up when you guys were playing? Anyway, it's fixed now. This is the updated copy.

Attached File Return_of_the_Pen.zip (85.59K)
Number of downloads: 1

Klublex

You mean, we're not supposed to have all the weapon colors to start? ๐Ÿ˜ž

Other than it seeming easier to destroy fighters, the level doesn't seem any different from beforeโ€”at least, not up to where the first red switch is. And, speaking of that red switch, where the heck is the red gun? (I'll resist looking in the editor.)

And is it intentional to be able to shoot the explode box from this side? (Going around the other way is pretty difficult.)

QUOTE (Odie @ Jun 9 2009, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tell you what, I'll try to scrape together the patience to get to that part again. I'll take a picture of it for you (or I'll try, and my version of snap pro X isn't registered).

Command-Shift-3 will take a screenshot while playing the game.

This post has been edited by Lamkin : 10 June 2009 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE (Klublex @ Jun 10 2009, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for all the suggestions. ๐Ÿ™‚ I'll post an updated copy later today, with more save stations. And trust me, Odie, I know how frustrating it is to get 30 minutes in and have the game crash. (It happened to me twice while beta-testing <_< ) Anyway, I'm glad to here all the comments and then most of you guys aren't having game-crash problems.

Klublex

QUOTE (Lamkin @ Jun 10 2009, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Other than it seeming easier to destroy fighters, the level doesn't seem any different from beforeโ€”at least, not up to where the first red switch is. And, speaking of that red switch, where the heck is the red gun? (I'll resist looking in the editor.)

And is it intentional to be able to shoot the explode box from this side? (Going around the other way is pretty difficult.)

Command-Shift-3 will take a screenshot while playing the game.

Lamkin, you get the red gun after you beat the mess monster. Klublex, that is also where I got stuck this time. There was a save station on top of it, and it saved the game. When I died it put me back there. I was trapped. I couldn't get back out.

QUOTE (Odie @ Jun 10 2009, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lamkin, you get the red gun after you beat the mess monster. Klublex, that is also where I got stuck this time. There was a save station on top of it, and it saved the game. When I died it put me back there. I was trapped. I couldn't get back out.

Foiled again! That is a very good point, Odie, an I am sorry for that mistake. I really should have beta-tested it...
Updated file is attached. Thanks for all the input!
Lamkin, you are supposed to go around the other way on that spot, but that's fine that you can shoot the X-box on that side.

Klublex

Attached File(s)

Aargh! How in the hell do you get past this point?

QUOTE (Lamkin @ Jun 12 2009, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That part is quite difficult. Maybe, I'm thinking, a little too difficult. I can see you've figured out the trick to it. Attached is a file with that part made a lot easier. Sorry for all these fixes I've been making. I guess I'm starting to get a little rusty with the editor. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Klublex

QUOTE (Lamkin @ Jun 12 2009, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That part is quite difficult. Maybe, I'm thinking, a little too difficult. I can see you've figured out the trick to it. Attached is a file with that part made a lot easier. Sorry for all these fixes I've been making. I guess I'm starting to get a little rusty with the editor. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Klublex

Attached File(s)

Ugh...Now the red gun is gone. :mad: