Help! I need someone with answers!

Weird Shut Down of Sketchfighter Editor!

I've been working on a huge new level recently and it is finally ready for the big test. However, I discovered that my Game Start was placed in the wrong spot and I need to fix it. Now, though, the Sketchfighter Editor just force quits itself when I try to open the level in the editor. In opens it for a second, showing a blur of lines, and the whole application shuts down. It works fine for every other level, but this one I can't edit at all! :unsure: 😞 I don't think it's necessarily because of the size: Lamkin's "The Great Pumpkin" and my "Adventure Challenge" are both more kilobytes then it. (The Great Pumpkin is 806 kb, whereas this is just 616 kb.) I am very confused and this is rather urgent because it is a large level that would really like to complete.

If worse comes to worse, I can try to PM you it and see if you can move the Game Start on your computer, and then send it back to me, but I would prefer the level to be a surprise.
Please help!

Thanks,
Klublex

EDIT: Here's a photo if it helps. Note that this pops up for a millisecond before the editor shuts down. (Double-click to enlarge)

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Klublex : 05 June 2009 - 07:19 PM

:blink:

Wow. If I had to guess (and I am, pretty much) I'd say it something wrong more so with the map editor than the map itself. Could you attach the map file that's giving you so much trouble so we can take another look at it?

QUOTE (JacaByte @ Jun 5 2009, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:blink:

Wow. If I had to guess (and I am, pretty much) I'd say it something wrong more so with the map editor than the map itself. Could you attach the map file that's giving you so much trouble so we can take another look at it?

I'll PM you the map file. I have discovered something new that's really weird. When I open the file by double-clicking it on the desktop, it opens... and stays open! But, it shows some kind of crazy screen and none of the editor features work. I can't change what's on the screen, except sometimes bits of graph paper show up randomly. :blink: The only thing that seems to work is the Info button, but the screen remains what it looked like when the Info button was on when I go back to Map. The next two photos are my examples.

Could it be an image defect or something? Did I use too many alpha-lowered sprites? I have no idea. Help!

Klublex

Attached File(s)

YES! YES! YES! IT OPENED UP! YAY! YAY! :laugh: 😄 🙂 🆒

Sorry, I'm going a little crazy, it's just that I've been trying to make this happen for about 4 days straight now.

It worked! Let's just hope it works again...

Klublex

QUOTE (Klublex @ Jun 6 2009, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

YES! YES! YES! IT OPENED UP! YAY! YAY! :laugh: 😄 🙂 🆒

Sorry, I'm going a little crazy, it's just that I've been trying to make this happen for about 4 days straight now.

It worked! Let's just hope it works again...

Klublex

Great! Good luck!

I'm inclined to agree with Jaca, but as it worked, and seems to have stayed working, we can let the matter rest for now. That was really odd though. one thing you could try is to have a backup, saved after every edit, and if it goes all froobly again than you could try using that. Glad to see it cleared up! 😛

-K

QUOTE (Kasofa1 @ Jun 6 2009, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm inclined to agree with Jaca, but as it worked, and seems to have stayed working, we can let the matter rest for now. That was really odd though. one thing you could try is to have a backup, saved after every edit, and if it goes all froobly again than you could try using that. Glad to see it cleared up! 😛

-K

I am desperately never closing the editor in fear of not being able to edit the level, and have had some frustrating setbacks in my attempt at complete beta-test of the level. It's quite large, and I keep getting frustrated when I am destroyed have to go back to someplace way back, and am adding save stations in the editor. I've added 5 so far. 😊 Anyway, now I am having troubles with the game, too. :mad: It keeps shutting down at this one spot and I have moved all sprites away but it still shuts down. I may have to release the level without officially beating it from start to finish. urg Anyway, thanks for the advice. 🙂

If I can't get it by tomorrow, I'll post/submit it. By the way, Kasofa, how's your PMS2 Boss work going?

Klublex

Hmm. So the game just crashes? Do you have any strange sprites that are pickups? Did you anything invisible (with the low-alpha setting) that you run over in that area? I was fiddling with the editor, and set ship 1 as a pickup. It crashed the game.

QUOTE (Odie @ Jun 6 2009, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm. So the game just crashes? Do you have any strange sprites that are pickups? Did you anything invisible (with the low-alpha setting) that you run over in that area? I was fiddling with the editor, and set ship 1 as a pickup. It crashed the game.

I have re-made all Sprites in the shut-down area and nothing works... it appears that the file is corrupted. I can just hope that it works on other computers. However, all the rest of the level is completely beta-tested to be glitch-free. 🙂

Klublex