What's up with that?

Who really made Darwinia?

I tried out Darwinia (Can't remember if it was a demo or not) a while back by downloading it from Ambrosia, and now I see it on Steam (eeew) for $20. Am I missing something?

@cmdr--quigly, on Sep 29 2006, 05:27 AM, said in What's up with that?:

I tried out Darwinia (Can't remember if it was a demo or not) a while back by downloading it from Ambrosia, and now I see it on Steam (eeew) for $20. Am I missing something?

Darwinia was written by Chris Delay of Introversion Software. The Windows version of the game is published by IV (worldwide shipping, plus downloads), Cinemaware Marquee (North American boxed version), and Steam (digital download). The Linux and Mac ports were both ported by John Knottenbelt, also of IV software. The Linux version of the game is identical to the Windows version, except that the executable is different. Thus, you can buy the Windows version, and get the executable from IV's website. You can use the direct from IV version, the Steam version, or the Cinemaware Marquee version for this. The Mac version is published by Ambrosia, and is not complatible with the Windows version in the way that the Linux version is.

Another interesting fact: Darwinia was one of the first third-party games to be published by Steam.

xander

Damn, I didn't know Darwinia was available on PC.

Link's broken for the demo though, so currently it's not.

@pp0u20e8, on Sep 29 2006, 03:59 PM, said in What's up with that?:

Damn, I didn't know Darwinia was available on PC.

Link's broken for the demo though, so currently it's not.

Right now, just about everything IV related is offline. They released a new game today (Defcon) for Windows, and got mentioned on Slashdot. The servers took a pounding. Some of it is running, but much of the website is down.

By the way, IV also did Uplink -- that has a Windows version, as well.

xander

Well, thanks. That pretty much answered my question. Defcon looks intersting too, might have to check that out (if the servers are working and I can get the demo, that is).

@cmdr--quigly, on Sep 30 2006, 04:01 AM, said in What's up with that?:

Well, thanks. That pretty much answered my question. Defcon looks intersting too, might have to check that out (if the servers are working and I can get the demo, that is).

The servers seem to be up and running again. Also, people are reporting that Defcon works pretty will with Crossover/Parallels on the Intel Macs, so you might give that a go if you don't have a Windows machine, but do have a new Mac 🙂

xander

@darwinian, on Sep 29 2006, 10:57 PM, said in What's up with that?:

Right now, just about everything IV related is offline. They released a new game today (Defcon) for Windows, and got mentioned on Slashdot. The servers took a pounding. Some of it is running, but much of the website is down.

By the way, IV also did Uplink -- that has a Windows version, as well.

xander

I actually played and completed uplink back when I was at uni for the first time.

Funny thing was, I was amazed when uplink was 'converted to mac' - at least in my mind...

Thanks anyway, though. 🙂

I'm hearing things from the Ambrosia Banter forum that indicates we may be seeing an Ambrosia port of Defcon.

@mrxak, on Oct 2 2006, 07:44 AM, said in What's up with that?:

I'm hearing things from the Ambrosia Banter forum that indicates we may be seeing an Ambrosia port of Defcon.

Indeed. John and Steven are working on the Linux and Mac ports as we speak. I have heard that there are builds that are running on the Macs at ASW headquarters. IV have stated that the Mac and Linux ports will be done in "November."

xander

twitch**twitch

Must... try... Defcon... soooooon......
twitch

@andcarne, on Oct 4 2006, 08:25 PM, said in What's up with that?:

twitch**twitch

Must... try... Defcon... soooooon......
twitch

You really should. It is a great deal of fun 🙂

xander

@darwinian, on Oct 5 2006, 01:06 PM, said in What's up with that?:

You really should. It is a great deal of fun 🙂

xander

I unfortunately don't have a PC. So I'm stuck waiting until the Mac version hits beta.

@andcarne, on Oct 6 2006, 08:01 PM, said in What's up with that?:

I unfortunately don't have a PC. So I'm stuck waiting until the Mac version hits beta.

Ah. I don't really have a PC either -- I use my work computer. It is old, and slow, but, with everything set to minium, it works okay. I can't wait to try it out on the Mac lappy. It should be a bit better.

xander