ARES X

@eveningtoast, on Oct 25 2008, 06:43 PM, said in ARES X:

That leaves me with a question then, what if we look at this not as a time issue, but as a level of difficulty. Will it be easier to simply use another physics engine, even if it takes more time? Or is it both easier, and faster to simply port old Ares?

I don't know at this point, I haven't seen the original code yet. When I do see it, I will be able to fairly assess that question.

@adam_0, on Oct 25 2008, 09:56 AM, said in ARES X:

If somebody were to drop out, it would be because of inexperience, disagreement, or lack of will. I might be a bit lacking on the "experience" department, but that is more than compensated in the will department. I think if you approach this with a small, dedicated team, things will work out better than if we broadcast this to a lot of people and have a large team which would probably get in the way.

Just want to say that, that was really well said. I agree.
I think we have brought together a good core group of people who have the 'will department,' even if some of us really cannot contribute anything right now (e.g. me).

-eveningtoast

@redsteven, on Oct 25 2008, 01:40 PM, said in ARES X:

Alright, I just sent an email to Nathan.

After we get his reply, are we moving over to Sourceforge?
Rebelious, you were going to set that up, right?

@eveningtoast, on Oct 25 2008, 07:11 PM, said in ARES X:

After we get his reply, are we moving over to Sourceforge?
Rebelious, you were going to set that up, right?

I have already set up the SourceForge account, but unfortunately, it takes "1-3 business days" for them to approve the account. Since I set it up Friday night, Monday will be the first business day.

Anyways, I've been working on it (it's not available for the public, but I can still set things up).

Good news, my friends. The response:

Subject: Re: Mission Complete
Date: October 25, 2008 8:58:15 PM EDT
To: me

Great! And very impressive. I'm on my phone now but I should be able to check this out tomorrow (Sunday) and get going on my end of the bargain.

We inch ever closer to our goal 🙂

@redsteven, on Oct 25 2008, 10:21 PM, said in ARES X:

Wonderful news, absolutely wonderful. 🙂

@adam_0, on Oct 25 2008, 10:08 PM, said in ARES X:

I have already set up the SourceForge account, but unfortunately, it takes "1-3 business days" for them to approve the account. Since I set it up Friday night, Monday will be the first business day.

Anyways, I've been working on it (it's not available for the public, but I can still set things up).

Awesome. Did you call the project Ares X, or something else?

-eveningtoast

Though I can't be of any help, I am fully in support of this movement.

As promised, here is the code. It is not however for the faint of heart. To quote the README:

This package provides some utilities for the extraction of assets from the resource fork of Ares data files. They are intended to be run from the command-line; doing so is non-trivial if you're not already familiar with a shell prompt.
The PIL imaging library is required. I have it installed through MacPorts; it should be possible to install it for the Apple-provided python installation using easy_install, but I have had no luck doing so.

The code is available on my git repository and you can download it directly here.

@redsteven, on Oct 26 2008, 03:21 AM, said in ARES X:

Good news, my friends. The response:

@pallas-athene, on Oct 27 2008, 03:00 AM, said in ARES X:

As promised, here is the code. It is not however for the faint of heart. To quote the README:
The code is available on my git repository and you can download it directly here.

Looks like the Board is Green on this one then.
Well done all on completing the PreOpPrep 🙂

still waiting to hear from Nathan.

The suspense is killing me

@redsteven, on Oct 27 2008, 12:29 PM, said in ARES X:

The suspense is killing me

Me too.
It's my birthday today, so this would make a nice birthday gift.

@eveningtoast, on Oct 27 2008, 11:44 AM, said in ARES X:

I have a feeling that NL won't be getting back to us for a little while - he has to remove the Ambrosia registration code, and although I don't know how long that will take, I'm assuming that's not an easy fix.

On another note, happy birthday! That's right, the Ares X SourceForge project has been approved. Not much there, but have a look around if you feel like it.

@adam_0, on Oct 27 2008, 09:03 PM, said in ARES X:

I have a feeling that NL won't be getting back to us for a little while

Well, we've waited this long for Ares X, a little while longer won't do us any extra harm...

@eveningtoast, on Oct 27 2008, 02:44 PM, said in ARES X:

Me too.

happy day-late birthday

Happy (late) birthday, eveningtoast. Considering how long it's been since OS X was released, another few days to get my hands on the code will not be much of an issue, so long as it does happen. The suspense does make it seem longer, though.

Thanks guys! 🙂

So, are we moving over to SourceForge now, or sticking around here?

-eveningtoast

I will say do primary effort on SourceForge, but keep us updated.

To wait for something is annoying, so you guys maybe want to make it a bit easier by getting in a good mood:

All Ares tracks as mp3

Have fun 🙂

@kauthor, on Oct 28 2008, 10:58 PM, said in ARES X:

I will say do primary effort on SourceForge, but keep us updated.

When we get the source code, I'll be making a new topic called something along the lines of "Ares X Development Log" or something like that.

Speaking of developers, who wants to work on Ares X? How do we want to collaborate this?

All of you should take a couple of days to look at the code, and then announce what you want to work on. As long as the code stays updated (I'm assuming sourceforge has some way of letting everyone work on the same build) you can all work on separate bits of the code, helping eachother as needed.