All the Important Links You'll Ever Need

I'll add my own personal BB, which is in the process of being filled with EV- and other space-relevant tutorials and galleries.
Feel free to sign up, post your own EV- or space-themed artwork, browse my own, and learn and help learn. It's a very young website, I don't think I have anything there except a lone thread with a blank Fed background in it.
I'm adding more constantly, though, now that I have more free time.
PSbyBryan: Galleries, Tutorials, & More

'kay, I uploaded a couple of files that would be useful for any developer working on an expansion of Nova (rather than a TC), especially those on Windows who don't have w00tware to aid them:
ConText'd (in .txt format, 2.3 MB) and Mish'd (in .txt, 1.8 MB) versions of the Nova Files.

The ConText file contains a text output of every single resource of the Nova Files. This includes all dëscs (outfit, ship, mission, etc), but also some information that can be quite handy when you don't want to open up Nova to find out. For example, say you want to find out in which system(s) planet X is, well, you type "s˙st" in your text editor "Search" field, and once you've reached the s˙st section, do a search for the planet's ID (which can be more easily found). This will give enable you to find the s˙st ID and name.
(I cannot stress how useful it is to be able to search for one particular name/word and find all mentions of it)

The Mish file contains a text output of all missions in Nova, sorted by mďsn ID (therefore you get Offer, Brief, QuickBrief, , and Completion texts one after the other). Very useful when trying to find a bit of information about a storyline/government/person involved in the storyline when you know there's information contained in a couple of missions.

This post has been edited by Pace : 30 June 2008 - 01:16 AM

@guy, on Jan 27 2005, 02:02 AM, said in All the Important Links You'll Ever Need:

EVNEW - The one and only EV Nova Editor for Windows

When I click to download EVNEW, the file doesn't look like a .zip file should, it has the same icon as all of my .rez files
Is it supposed to look like that?

@kingofvwcosmos, on Jun 28 2008, 09:55 AM, said in All the Important Links You'll Ever Need:

When I click to download EVNEW, the file doesn't look like a .zip file should, it has the same icon as all of my .rez files
Is it supposed to look like that?

You are unclear. Try to see if you can get the file to unzip and run the program there. If you need more help, make a new thread.
EVNEW alternate download (source not available here)

Converting multiple MacBinary files is now more convenient.
RezEditor project page
RezEditor download page
RezEditor Website (Currently not set up)
RezEditor CVS Browse
RezEditor alpha log

Also,
The latest version of QuickTime that works on Windows 2000 (and Linux) and a Security update for it.(optional, not necessary if EVNova is the only thing for which you use QuickTime.
Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Instructions for installing EV Nova on Linux (caveat lector. If in doubt, post a new topic asking for help. My comments: ignore the "backporting" section, you must run "Configure Wine" (now in the menu; you don't have to run winecfg from the command line) before doing anything, you can probably just open an .exe file in your file manager and it will open with Wine's Program loader, don't try to install the IE addons with QuickTime, with any recent distro the "ALSA" should work as your sound driver without any additional configuration, copying the executable does not keep it registered, and if you try to press the "register" button with the keyboard it will freeze/crash)

This post has been edited by Nonconventionally Creative : 13 November 2008 - 07:30 PM

Shade's Shipyard

Downloads aren't working.

add http://www.getdropbox.com to the list for free online file hosting.

Free and worthwhile 3-D Graphics Programs:

Blender is a wonderful 3-D editing program, and freeware. Kind of a steep learning curve though; for anyone who has used Maya it's on par with those capabilities.

Sketchup is also a nice program, though less well suited rendering and smooth shapes, it is very intuitive and easy to get into the 3-D modeling scene. I can't emphasize enough that it is very, very, easy to model with Sketchup compared to any other program. Sketchup is free to use, but some of the advanced export and print features are disabled unless you purchase a student ($50 for a year) or professional ($500 once) licence.

And for those of you who are students with valid email addresses, Autodesk has kindly provided us with many free student downloads, including AutoCAD, Maya, and Inventor. They usually have student limitations, and are often not full-featured or plot with "Autodesk Student Product" on the sides.

Is there an app for windows that assists in placing SYST coordinates?

EVN Cartographer works well. Do a quick search, as there was a recent thread that provided a DL link.

EVN Cartographer by Artanis is a Windows editor for SYST resources that makes building maps for EVN plug-ins much easier. To use it, you must first convert a REZ file into TXT format using the console (the instructions on how to do this are in EVNEW's readme). Also, see this post to get around a couple of bugs I discovered.

EVNEW download links are dead.

Add this link to the page. It is a blender plugin that creates a 8x4 sprite sheet in a close to nova perspective which you can change. Just set up the model and change the output folder and then switch to the strip render script and press Alt - P to start it.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=B9LWDT8L

Visit this thread for more details.
http://www.ambrosias...howtopic=129321

This post has been edited by rafy23 : 28 September 2010 - 12:36 PM

Like the Member-Run FAQ topic, would anyone like to step up and help organize and prune these links?Just looking for a nice and pretty listing of links here from somebody, to replace the current multi-page spread of posts we currently have.

Some art resources I've run across.

EVula's Shipyard - Has a ton of files, all are 256 color EVC/O files but some with editing could be converted to Nova. Most are in pic format so if you're on a PC you'll need a file converter to edit them.

Onyx's EV Shipyard - More files, also made for EVC/O. Files are in Mac Plug-in format. Has a basic tutorial for giving older ships EVN style thruster glows which is very useful.

Although a number of shipyards aren’t functional any more EMR has helpfully complied as many as he could find in his Shipyard Graphics Liberation Project. He posted a link several years ago on in a post on the main web board but it has gotten buried over time. A lot of these are for the original Escape Velocity or EV Override but a fair number are either for Nova or could easily be used in a Nova plug-in.

There is also OpenGameArt which with some careful searching can yield art for potential landing pics, mission scenes or outfits as well as music and sound effects that could all be used in a potential plug-in.

Finally there is the System data analysis post by func_door which contains links to the web pages he created that contain a galaxy map hyperlinked to each system’s characteristics including the systems landing spots pics and decryptions just as a start. He also has fully interlinked ship and outfit pages, all of which could be extraordinarily useful.