EVN - Delphi

Delphi, what modeling software do you use? Do you happen to have Max 3D? If so, PM me, I have a job offer. Even if you don't have Max 3D, I'd still like you to PM me.

This post has been edited by Jean-Luc Picard : 13 April 2008 - 08:47 PM

I do believe that delphi uses Google sketchup.

This post has been edited by of doom : 12 April 2008 - 08:01 PM

I thought he used blender or something.

Oi, I can't imagine trying to model ships in google sketchup -- at least ones that didn't turn out terribly blocky. But then again maybe I'm just used to blender.
Of course Delphi seems to do just fine.

This post has been edited by Keldor Sarn : 16 April 2008 - 04:12 PM

Hey all, it's me again. My keyboard is being glitchy so I apologize for any random teaser images that may suddenly get blorted out.

ASKJHGHSGH-

Posted Image

-ASKIGYW

Whoops. Well, there it goes.

Front end of the HK-8 Hunter Killer, first draft. Features the newly innovated/renovated Nichron Cannon design. I don't know what got into me with that weird angley (is that even a word?) one from a while back - the NDC are all about chunky, brutal ships, and their weapons should reflect such. That other one looks more like a communications array. As such it will be used for that purpose when I retool the model.

By the way, that's right; that's four - count 'em - FOUR nichron cannons. This baby is going to urinate bullets and eat nazis for breakfast on a daily basis. Don't mind the extra ports beneath each primary barrel, they're not weaponry. Exhaust pipes, as it were, actually. Harnessing a reaction like a nuclear detonation and putting it to direction generates a lot of heat, and a closed system would explode with a single shot from the immense pressure.

The HK-8 is currently looking at the following specifications, as far as I've decided (descriptions included for each item for those less-enlightened):

- Stock Configuration -

Nichron Cannon(s) x4 -- forward firing medium-grade assault weapon, global offensive rating: 4/10
Enhanced Pulse Turret(s) x1 -- low-grade civilian turret, good for fighter defense, global offensive rating: 2/10
"Cavalier" Volley-Launching Missile System(s) x1* -- mid-grade turreted medium-range missile system, global offensive rating: 2/10

*special note: Cavalier missiles always fire simultaneously in twin pairs (weapon splits into smaller charges immediately upon firing, like flak or a polaron torpedo) in an effort to bypass special-defense systems. Because of this, a single launcher actually fires two missiles per volley.

The basic version of the HK-8.

- "Heavy" Configuration -

Nichron Cannon(s) x2 -- see above
Nichron Battery x1 -- forward-arc lower heavy-grade artillery weapon, global offensive rating 7/10
Enhanced Pulse Turret(s) x1 -- see above
"Cavalier" Volley-Launching Missile System(s) x1 -- see above

Ship armor rating in comparison to stock configuration: 115%
Ship shield rating in comparison to stock configuration: 90%

The "heavy" variant of the HK-8 incorporates more powerful but heavier and costlier weapon emplacements, allowing the ship to participate in artillery-range engagements against much larger craft. Its close-range capabilities are somewhat stifled by this shift in its operational firing range, but the shipwrights have attempted to compensate for this by employing much heavier armor plating than the standard for the craft, though as a result of this its refraction field generators have less functionality, lowering the shield rating of the ship slightly. Through a drastic renovation of the ship's power centers, its thrust potential remains unaltered, continuing to afford it the quick "hit and run" tactics Hunter Killers are renowned for.

This post has been edited by Delphi : 19 April 2008 - 02:49 AM

Oh.

I just realized how crap I am. I gasp in awe, and bow under your mastery.

This post has been edited by Templar98921 : 20 April 2008 - 03:39 AM

@keldor-sarn, on Apr 16 2008, 02:47 PM, said in EVN - Delphi:

Oi, I can't imagine trying to model ships in google sketchup -- at least ones that didn't turn out terribly blocky. But then again maybe I'm just used to blender.
Of course Delphi seems to do just fine.

If you're pretty used to Blender, I could use someone to assist me with texturing, if you're available...
😉

@lastsummer, on Mar 31 2008, 12:37 AM, said in EVN - Delphi:

that big ship reminds me of something but i just can't tell...

by the way: are you still pursuing the idea of having fighter squads instead of single ships? i've been thinking about something similar (although not for fighters) for the conversion i'm working on

Didn't even spot this post before. Sorry about that.

Yes, I will still be utilizing fighter squadrons. I just like the way they move on screen, it's very cool. For certain of the smallest fighters, they aren't even listed as flyable ships, because they would be far too small on the screen. As a result, you launch them sort of like the Krypt does with their crypt pods, and they buzz around as individual ships that look like fighter swarms, generally causing mayhem and confusion.

Loads of good fun. Multiple weapon points within the squadron make it actually look like they take turns delivering a beating to your enemy. 🙂

...ah, but to TRULY call yourself obsessed with the project, you must posses at least ONE official NDC Captaincy Ring.

Posted Image

I'm such a nerd.

(Actual sterling silver ring, appraised at $430.00 CAN)

In truth, these exist in the story. In order to pilot a larger ship (command cruiser or above) you must have the ring of captaincy for that vessel, which is both an ornamental object much like rank pins/stripes, as well as a functional database of operational codes, which when combined with the bio-electric signal emitted by a human being functions much like the ignition on your car. Without the ring on board and on the hand of a person, the ship will never power up. Admittedly, there are other methods by which an NDC vessel can be "hot-wired", but it's an arduous process at best, making the ring an effective security device. For those in possession of an NDC Dominant, the ring is actually bio-electrically synchronized with the captain and the higher bridge crew, meaning that only a select few aboard the vessel are even capable of using the ring in the first place. Imagine if your car keys wouldn't work if anybody other than yourself was holding them. Yeah, a bit like that, and kind of important when you have a ship capable of leveling every city on earth.

This post has been edited by Delphi : 20 April 2008 - 03:26 AM

I wanna level every city on Earth!!

Nice ring.

when can we expect it to be relesed 2009?

I would think that it would take longer then that. but I actually have no idea. And welcome to the boards godisdead132 may you enjoy you stay and be blessed by the light of lathander.

@godisdead132, on Apr 20 2008, 03:26 AM, said in EVN - Delphi:

when can we expect it to be relesed 2009?

I would hope mid to late 2009 at the latest. I'm working pretty hard to get everything ready for an pre-alpha release: a handful of playable ships, usable weapons/outfits, and at least a small working portion of the galaxy (10-20 systems and included planets with descriptions and images). No storyline until the universe is put together though, because I'm still not 100% sure what final features will be included.

Then again, how cool would it be to release it right in 2010 and make a bunch of references to the Kubrick movie?

😛

Quick update:
Today during church I found some free time in which to sketch some ship concepts on the back of a business card, including a good idea for the remaining body of the HK-8, partially pictured above.

Apologies in advance for the low-quality photos. Remember that these are each drawn within a space maybe a grand total of two centimeters square.

Posted Image

Here's the HK-8, rest of its body intact. It fills the role of heavy support in the Hunter Killer classification, and as such is large, sluggish, and generally cantankerous, but well-armored and armed to the teeth with lethal short-range weaponry.

Posted Image

Here's the HK-4, the missile gunboat of the Hunter Killer class. It's outboard, forward-mounted engines afford it impressive speed and maneuvering, enabling it to dance around the outskirts of an enemy's weapon range and pummel it with missiles from afar. However, be wary about taking it within the gunnery range of an enemy; it's light hull won't stand up for long under fire.

Posted Image

Last, but certainly not least, is the HK-9 "Gunslinger", that special little craft that I'm hoping will take the place of the Starbridge in the heart of every captain that plays the TC. It's your basic ultra-expandable, ultimately-very-neat little cruiser/gunboat/missile frigate/artillery cruiser that everybody likes to retool and refit until its perfect. In stock configuration it sports two nichron cannons and two Cavalier missile launchers as the primary armament, a well-balanced arrangement for a well-balanced ship. It has average thrust and maneuvering capability, making it quite possibly the most enjoyable ship in the game (once I actually make it, that is).

This post has been edited by Delphi : 20 April 2008 - 08:38 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!!

I certainly hope you all got me something nice...

This post has been edited by Delphi : 21 April 2008 - 02:30 AM

I got you a NDC Captinacy ring, but you already had one. Sorry.

Since the Hunter Killer class will be the most versatile/useable ship type in the game, much like the Starbridge of EVN, let's have a little poll. What will be your favorite Hunter Killer, from what you know so far?

Will you favor the HK-8, the brute/bulldog of the group, capable of pummeling enemies into powder at short range?

Will you enjoy the deft, agile flight patterns of the HK-4, and its ability to rain down hellish death upon your enemies with missile after missile?

Will you command the versatile HK-9, the vagabond of the group; a ship so easy to modify that you'll never find two the same?

Pick your poison.

Also, I would like it noted that I'll be trying to introduce an interesting feature into Delphi. As you advance up the ranks, certain ships will actually become free, as per your military clearance for such vessels. For instance, if as a Commander you were able to purchase ships at the very top of your availability tree for approximately 5 million-a-piece, and you advance to the rank of Captain, certain of these previous ships may become free to utilize, as some missions will require a different ship, such as a fast blockade runner, etc. In any situation, the ships at your current promotional level will always have a price tag, and it may be that because of resource issues in the ship table that only certain select vessels will become free; perhaps one special ship at each rank. For instance, you can fly a Hunter Killer at the rank of Commander. Upon reaching captain, I may make the HK-9, the versatile one, free to purchase, in case you need it for a mission. As Nova lacks a "garage" function allowing you to possess multiple ships, this is the best I can think of.

Happy Belated Birthday Sol. BTW I am in awe of you. You have given me hope that I may crush my enemies beneath my feet. All I need now is one of those spiffy and snazzy rings of yours and a lovely HK-8 and I will proceed to conquer in your name. Aprox how many ships will each government get. How amazing of a variety will we see?

@ekhawkman, on Apr 21 2008, 03:05 PM, said in EVN - Delphi:

Happy Belated Birthday Sol. BTW I am in awe of you. You have given me hope that I may crush my enemies beneath my feet. All I need now is one of those spiffy and snazzy rings of yours and a lovely HK-8 and I will proceed to conquer in your name. Aprox how many ships will each government get. How amazing of a variety will we see?

At last count, the NDC is slated to have up to fifty ships. Pruning may occur in order to save on time and resources, but I'll be placing as many as I can. The Enclave only has a few ships, but such is to be expected; they are but a smattering of rebellious worlds using what they can get. Fortunately, thanks to clever design and an organized shipbuilding effort, they are able to crank out at least ten models, each magnificently armed. Unfortunately, each Enclave design is based around the premise of holding off several ships at once, as they are limited in number to begin with, so each of their vessels tend to be rather large and unyielding in terms of maneuvering. Their weapons cannot be matched though, their gravity-based technology far outdoing the primitive nuclear devices of their foe, the Nova Defense Coalition.

The Shen'or are a whole different ball of wax. Their ships are very ethereal in nature and difficult to comprehend, so although they only have two or three different ship classes, they are all terrifying and difficult to match in combat. Approach with extreme caution.

Lastly, there are the civilians. There are only a few civilian ships, and as surprising as it may be, you can't fly five of them! Certain vehicles like civilian shuttlecraft and such are completely useless to the player and as such, may be seen buzzing around civilized space but are not available from the shipyard, simple because they are both useless for interstellar transport (no jump drive) and completely weaponless. However, seeing a few of these simple little vehicles flying around populated regions adds to the humanity of the game, especially during a certain mission where a large number of these innocents are destroyed by an invading alien fleet. Brutal stuff, and it helps fuel your rage as a protector of the peace.

In short, roughly just under 100 ships, about 80 playable.

I'd say HK-9. I'm all about the versatility. That seems to be the opinion in actual military strategy as well.

Of course, the others definitely have uses as well. But the more specialized role usually takes a back seat to the generalist models.

Just out of curiosity, is HK a reference to Heckler & Koch?

This post has been edited by Archon : 21 April 2008 - 07:00 PM