Rights for EV Nova Graphics

ie use in plugins for ev nova

I assumed that this would be the appropriate place to ask this question if not please move it to the correct location.

Are permissions given to use the EV Nova graphics in plugins for EV Nova? I know that lots of people have used them but those were plugins with the intention to be played within the Nova base scenario. Would I be allowed to use them in a total conversion?

Thanks in advance. 🙂 I feel a little silly asking this question because the answer is either very much 'Yes, rights are given' or 'No, permissions are not in place'.

Obviously I'm not the EVN team but, yes you can use any EVN graphics in an EVN plugin. This has helped many people create many cool mods/plugins. Hope to see you making something cool. Cheers!

I believe it's all good as long as you don't try to make money off the stock graphics and sprites included with EVN, and as long as you don't try to claim them as your own. (e.g. "Look at the cool graphics I made for my plug-in!")

This post has been edited by JacaByte : 19 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

There was that one book that DarthKev found that appeared to have a Starbridge on the cover.

This post has been edited by Terrível : 19 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

I’ve never heard anyone at Ambrosia object to the use of EV graphics in an EV plug-in. Now, if you were using them in another game, or charging for the end product, that might be another story.

Alright awesome. Thanks for the clarification. 🙂

It's worth mentioning that graphics and sounds from other Ambrosia products, such as Ares and Sketchfighter, have also been used in EV plug-ins without any repercussions that I'm aware of. So I suppose they're okay with using their content for user-created add-on content for their products, but I doubt the same would hold true should you, say, put a Starbridge into a Starcraft 2 map.

@terr-vel, on 19 October 2012 - 02:00 PM, said in Rights for EV Nova Graphics:

There was that one book that DarthKev found that appeared to have a Starbridge on the cover.

Hah, I remember that. Decided to go reading about that incident some more, found out that the offending cover still hasn't been taken down.

After 4 years, I'm simply confused and startled. It would also appear that books with the offending cover are still being sold on Amazon as well. Is it a simple case of negligence or have the websites simply never been touched?

I'm surprised too. That had evolved into a rather large issue. And from what I remember, anyone possible that could've done anything about it whatsoever had been informed about it. I mean, even the author had ended up reading about it on a blog.