Blender Plugin

Plugin for blender that can output spritesheets for nova

I found a plugin for blender on the internet by Jorn van de Beek that made 32 part spritesheets of models. I altered the camera so that it rendered the parts in something close to the angle used in nova. If you know how to use blender, you can import your model in and set the textures checking the render so that it looks good and then use the strip render script to make the 8x4 sprite sheet.

select strip render once done with the set up. You will have to change the output folder.
Posted Image

Press Alt + P tp start the script. Choose the size you want.
Posted Image

Save the image in any format and you are done.
Posted Image

The Plugin
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=B9LWDT8L

This is fantastic. Thanks!

Ooh, I've been messing around with Blender lately. Thanks for sharing this find.

This is a very excellent find, you should post a link or a copy of this post in one of the pinned resource topics so others can find it easily.

how would you go about doing that?

I have another question. Does adding a mask to a ship keep it from going transparent wherever it has black? With this plugin everything works great but I am running into the same problem as before with some parts of the ships being transparent and as the background ends up black it eats up some of the edges. I'm hoping adding a mask would take care of the matter. Otherwise I'll have to find some way to output the spritesheet with a different background.

Examples
Posted Image

Posted Image

Fixed the problem by changing the background render color and then replacing any traces of absolute black with a slightly lighter shade.

@rafy23, on Sep 28 2010, 02:49 AM, said in Blender Plugin:

how would you go about doing that?

Click on the topic on the top of the page named "All the important links you'll ever need" and add your link to the blender plug in, with an explanation of what it is.

@rafy23, on Sep 28 2010, 02:49 AM, said in Blender Plugin:

I have another question. Does adding a mask to a ship keep it from going transparent wherever it has black?

That is exactly what a mask does, and masks are generally considered critical. A mask is pretty easy to make if you've got your render set up - delete your texture and make the ship an all-white slightly glowing shader with no shadows. It should not have a halo, but will make a completely white form where your ship is and completely black where your ship is not.

Interesting, I have never used masks in my plugins. I just used absolute black as the background for the sprites. Now that I have a more advanced understanding of blender and its functions I won't have to do that but it seems easier to me anyway. Thanks for the answer though.