graphics usage permission

I was hoping to use some forged ID graphics from plugpack (for evn) in a plug i'm making. I asked the author and apparently the graphics were made by enthusiastic fans but there is no email or other contact. I would still like to use the graphics if possible. I was thinking of using them with a credit to the creators, an explanation of not being able to contact them, and an offer to remove them if the authors see my message and decide they'd like me not to use them.

Has there been a precedent for this kind of scenario? Does anyone know if that's acceptable plugin protocol?

Thanks

The graphics are the property of their creators, unless they were specifically released into the public domain. There's no presumption in favour of your being able to use them, even if you can't contact the author, and Ambrosia couldn't legitimately support such use by distributing your plug-in.

What sort of graphics are you looking for? If they aren't too complicated, there may be someone else around the boards who can help you arrange something similar.

If the artists gave permission to the author of PlugPack to distribute their work, that would strike me as equivalent to the granting of the right to copy, hence copyright. I do not know, however, if that is sufficient for the author of PlugPack to grant other people the right to copy the work as well.

QUOTE (Qaanol @ Jan 10 2010, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the artists gave permission to the author of PlugPack to distribute their work, that would strike me as equivalent to the granting of the right to copy, hence copyright. I do not know, however, if that is sufficient for the author of PlugPack to grant other people the right to copy the work as well.

Yes, the author of the original plug-in would have needed permission to use the graphics; probably he/she would be considered a licensee of the copyright, rather than the new owner (unless the creators were paid to create the art as a work for hire, which isn't common in plug-in design these days). Either way, that right wouldn't automatically extend to someone else extracting the art and using it for another purpose.

QUOTE (David Arthur @ Jan 10 2010, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What sort of graphics are you looking for? If they aren't too complicated, there may be someone else around the boards who can help you arrange something similar.

The graphics for the IDs are essentially the same as exotic ships and weapons license except the text and text color has been appropriately edited to say federation/auroran/polaris/etc. identification holder #xxxx. I've attached some examples - I haven't used that attachment feature before so perhaps it will not come out right. I may try to create them myself in photoshop, but i'm not experienced in graphics creation. If you know of anyone willing…

Thanks, peace

Attached File(s)

If it is just the licenses send me a list of the descriptions of what you wanted (or for instance if you already know that you want the Shield-Organelles as a license let me know that too). I should be able to turn them around pretty quickly using the stock Nova images.

On a side note, making these licenses would be a great way to better learn how to use Photoshop or any other image program because of their simplicity.

I'm not sure on the Mac side, but if you're running Windows and EVNEW adding these images to your plugin is also really easy. Here is a quick way to do what you want.

In Nova Graphics 1, export PICT 6135 (Capital Ships License).
Export whatever other outfit picture you want as well (I'll simply call this picture "Outfit").
Open both of these files in Photoshop (or whatever your image software is).
-- In Photoshop
Change the size of "Outfit" to 60x60 pixels. Do this by going to the Image menu and selecting Image Size.
Select all, copy, and then paste this image into the Capital Ships License image file. Move the "Outfit" image so that the top left corner is on top of the top left corner of the Pegasus. You can change the opacity of the layer if you want to make the next step easier, but it isn't really necessary.
Using the Skew command, (Edit->Transform menus) grab the middle anchor on the top of the "Outfit" image and drag it to the right until its in line with the Pegasus image below. Then grab the bottom left corner and drag it into place.
Flatten the image, then Save As a new file. Make sure it is a bitmap (the standard compression is okay).
-- back in EVNEW
Open up your outfit's picture ID and Import your new file, hit enter, and you're done.

If you still want me to do the images, just toss a reply in here with the descriptions of what you want.

QUOTE (candrew3 @ Jan 30 2010, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you still want me to do the images, just toss a reply in here with the descriptions of what you want.

Thanks for the offer and info. Sorry, I got swooped up with a busy life schedule and am still in it. I may take you up on the offer at an unknown time (it's sometimes been months between my free time) if it still stands.

peace

here is another question related to this subject - i am working on an expansion where wormholes are used to access the ovveride universe and missions ensue. now, since ambrosia gave the OK to have ovveride and classic conversions for evn posted on their site, does that imply that other developers could utilize this content for their own works?

also, would this extend to something like the evo facelift, since it is based on ambrosias intellectual property? i noticed browsing the arpia 2 plugin that he uses the igazra artwork from the facelift - is this use alright (especially given that the original author of the evo facelift cannot be contacted), or does this constitute some kind of grey area?

It's iffy. Really, you'd want to have written permission. If there is truly no way to contact the original author, I would say it should be all right as long as you give full credit to the original author. Check all documentation for any expressed permissions or any specific denials of permission. And be fully prepared to delete everything if the author does show up and demand that you remove their content.