Sub-munitions won't sub, AI behaviors

I've been away for quite awhile, but lately I've been putting some work into Paper TC.

Couple issues:

1. I'm having some trouble with a weapon that doesn't sub consistently.
    I have it set so it will sub when the target gets within 300 pixels. It always triggers properly, but sometimes it subs, sometimes it doesn't. This only seems to malfunction when the AI uses the weapon.
    I have ruled out prox saftey, max shots on screen, and the weapon being within the sprite of the target as issues to prevent subbing.

2. Having problems with AI ships that are to: warp in, launch a weapon at the player, warp out. (Same AI from above)
    Sometimes they warp out, sometimes they don't and seem to get stuck in the system. I think they are always firing the weapon regardless, but I could be wrong on this. Not sure if this is related to the non-subbing weapon issue above, but not sure why it would be.

The technique I'm using is to give them 1 weapon with limited ammo (1) and have set the 'runs away if out of ammo' flag.
These ships always attack the player. It might be they case that the 'stuck' ships are not firing for some reason, but I'm not sure why they might not be firing, they do appear hostile.

Both these problems share the same funny behavior: Sometime they work properly, sometime they don't, and I can't find any pattern to account for the discrepancy.

This post has been edited by Desprez : 17 September 2009 - 09:59 PM

No ideas?

I would say that the nova engine is very ify VERY IFY and if it isn't necessary scrap it

I've also had a problem with sub-munitions not working 100% of the time. I don't know what causes it.

Re: #2:
so, you have no problem getting it to attack? That'd be the first thing I would confirm. Try it with another weapon, maybe. I had a similar problem earlier, but in my case I had trouble getting a ship to fire a weapon.

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=126627

Jouman suggested putting -999 in the ammo field. I ended up using his other solution, so I haven't tested it myself. You could try -999 ammo, Wimpy Trader AI, and something else to make sure it feels threatened.

QUOTE (n64mon @ Sep 28 2009, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've also had a problem with sub-munitions not working 100% of the time. I don't know what causes it.

Re: #2:
so, you have no problem getting it to attack? That'd be the first thing I would confirm. Try it with another weapon, maybe. I had a similar problem earlier, but in my case I had trouble getting a ship to fire a weapon.

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=126627

Jouman suggested putting -999 in the ammo field. I ended up using his other solution, so I haven't tested it myself. You could try -999 ammo, Wimpy Trader AI, and something else to make sure it feels threatened.

FYI, Wimpy Trader AI will cause them not to fight.

After doing some further testing it appears they aren't always firing the weapon, possibly because of an issue with my test ship - not sure exactly what - but I notice that the AI is firing at me when using other ships.

There are still some subbing issues, and these are the ONLY weapons I've ever had subbing problems with, and I've worked with subbing weapons quite a bit.
In addition, while tweaking some values, I've also noticed that I'm getting damaged when prox radius is triggered even when I'm out of the range of blast radius.

It's obviously a conspiracy.

QUOTE (n64mon @ Sep 30 2009, 02:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's obviously a conspiracy.

The conspiracy isn't real! It's just a shadowy organization manipulating the public to make it look like a conspiracy.
Oh, wait...