Spritesheet script for Photoshop

Generates spritesheets with LASIK method

Hiya,

For anyone who is interested: I've written a script for Photoshop (tested for CS2 and CS3), that takes images in a folder and generates spritesheets with them, including the mask.

What it basically does is the following:
- Let's the user select a folder, image width+height, frames x, frames y and a prefix (used for sequential image names).
- Aligns all the images in a new document, based on their filename
- Creates an alpha channel for the transparent parts of images
- Resizes the file to 20%
- Applies an Unsharp Mask (300,1,0)
- Resizes the document to 50%
- Exports a spritesheet and spritemask PNG in the original folder

There isn't a lot of validation going on and/or selectable options (unsharp mask prefs, output paths etc), but it does the job wonderfully.

If anyone wants to give it a shot, just holler and I'll make it available as a download. It saves quite a lot of time, especially if you have a decent render setup for your images (I use Blender with sequential filenames), takes about 2 minutes to go from rendering to a full spritesheet!).

Example spritesheet:

Example spritesheet mask:

So virtually, as long as I have a sprite, I could make a full 36-frame sprite file and mask file with this program?

Cool sprite example, by the way.

Cool, but if you don't have Photoshop you could use SpinApp 7

( Shameless advertising )

To be more precise: you need all the sprite images before making the spritesheet. I only use it for Nova (where you need different sprites for all the angles), so I didn't make it to take only 1 sprite and turn it 😉

QUOTE (ReinierK @ Sep 2 2009, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To be more precise: you need all the sprite images before making the spritesheet. I only use it for Nova (where you need different sprites for all the angles), so I didn't make it to take only 1 sprite and turn it 😉

SpinApp 7 can do both.

Hey, while I'm thinking about it, is there a way to get SpinApp to recognize numbers in the correct order beyond just the first digit? It does fine with 1-9, but as soon as I get to 10, it puts 10 after 1, ect. I have a 72 frame sequence, but I can't get SpinApp to recognize it in the right order.

QUOTE (krugeruwsp @ Sep 2 2009, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, while I'm thinking about it, is there a way to get SpinApp to recognize numbers in the correct order beyond just the first digit? It does fine with 1-9, but as soon as I get to 10, it puts 10 after 1, ect. I have a 72 frame sequence, but I can't get SpinApp to recognize it in the right order.

Odd... think this is due to how numbers are handled...

I'd have to check, but to be safe, make sure it saves in 001, 002, etc. format.

My bet is SpinApp can't apply LASIK techniques 😉
And while I appreciate your effort by writing that software, I would in turn appreciate it to not hi-jack this thread 😉

Yeah, sorry about that, it wasn't my intent. Good luck with your script.

QUOTE (EVWeb @ Sep 2 2009, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Odd... think this is due to how numbers are handled...

I'd have to check, but to be safe, make sure it saves in 001, 002, etc. format.

Ah, that did it. Thanks! Takes it a while, but it works!

Attached are some tests I ran wth the script, they look well and perform very nice in-game!

Attached File(s)

Cool beans man. let us know when you put it up.