Plug-in Newbie - Trouble creating "pilotlog.txt" file

Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong?

Hi All,

First post in this forum but I've been lurking for a while.

I've been playing EV/EVO/EVN for years but have only recently (in the last week or two) started to look into plug in development. It's a fascinating world and one that I hope to immerse myself in over the coming months and, perhaps, even years.

Over the past week I have been slowly familiarising myself with the "EV Bible" and "Mission Computer" while working my way through the various tutorials listed in the, quite frankly, friggen' excellent "All the Important Links You'll Ever Need" thread and the "User run FAQ" thread pinned at the top of this forum. I'm still very much a rank amateur but I am starting to get an idea of how it all hangs together and have even managed to successfully create a couple of very simple plugs so I feel like I am well on my way.

However, I am getting hung up on what should be a very simple task, that being the creation of a pilotlog file. The process I am following is the one described in the EV Bible...i.e.:

1. I create a blank plain text file in textedit (or similar)
  2. Save it as "pilotlog.txt" and place it it in the "Nova" folder
  3. Launch EV Nova and load my pilot
  4. Quit EV Nova
  5. Open and read the pilotlog.txt file

After completing this process, however, the pilotlog.txt file is still completely blank and the file modification date has not changed since I created the file. In other words, the log is not being written to the file for some reason.

I have a suspicion that perhaps the problem is being caused by incorrectly named folders but I am not sure if it's that sensitive to renamed folders or not. I suspect that this is the cause because, nowhere in my root "EV Nova" folder is there a folder simply called "Nova" as described in the EV Bible. My folder hierarchy is as follows:

-->Games
----> EV Nova v1.0.10
------> EV Nova (This is the EVN application)
------> Nova Files
------> Nova Plug-ins (Empty folder, no longer used - Now in ~/Library/Application Support/EV Nova/)
------> Pilots (Empty folder, no longer used - Now in ~/Library/Application Support/EV Nova/)
------> Pilots Folder (Alias to ~/Library/Application Support/EV Nova/Pilots/)
------> Plug-Ins (Alias to ~/Library/Application Support/EV Nova/Plug-Ins/)
------> Register EV Nova (Rego Application)
------> Development (Folder created by me to hold all my EVN development stuff like plugs in development, EV Bible, Documentation, etc)

As you can see, there is no "Nova" folder so I am not sure what folder the EV Bible is referring to when it says to put the pilotlog file into my "Nova" folder.

I've tried renaming the root folder from "EV Nova v1.0.10" to simply "Nova" and also putting the pilotlog file into various other locations within the "Ev Nova v1.0.10" folder ("Nova Files", Nova Plug-Ins", "Pilots", "Pilots Folder", and "Plug-Ins" but none of that worked either.

I am aware that the folders named "Nova Plug-ins" and "Pilots" are no longer used and that they are now located in ~/Library/Application Support but I tried putting the file in there anyway.

So, I'm a bit stumped at this stage, can anyone tell me where I am going wrong? Any and all help gratefully accepted.

Thanks,
TV

try ~/library/application support/EV Nova/

Put the pilotlog.txt file there (the EV Nova folder). You'll see the plug-in folder and the pilots folder there too. Don't place it in either of those.

good luck

just curious, if you have EVN 1.0.10, why are you emulating EVN 1.1?

QUOTE (Vast Deathmaster @ Aug 4 2009, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

just curious, if you have EVN 1.0.10, why are you emulating EVN 1.1?

Sorry, I actually have v1.1.0, not v1.0.10. My mistake.

Sorry for the confusion.

TV

QUOTE (TonyR @ Aug 4 2009, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

try ~/library/application support/EV Nova/

Put the pilotlog.txt file there (the EV Nova folder). You'll see the plug-in folder and the pilots folder there too. Don't place it in either of those.

good luck

Yep, that's got it. Thanks for that, I thought I was going crazy! Of course it had to be the one folder that I DIDN'T try. Oh well, sorted now.

No doubt I'll be a regular PITA here over the next few weeks as I wrestle with the intricacies of plug-in development. I'll try not to be too annoying.

Thanks again,
TV