AE is looking for help

Hi all. Acheron is in need of some help. We are looking for a number of new members. Some of these jobs will involve creativity and content generation, some will not. Contact me if you're interested in anything. We're looking for people who are available on a relatively predictable basis, and who are able to do a lot of quality work. Experience working in groups especially on other plugin projects is excellent. If you're not able to devote a bunch of time to the project, smaller contributions are accepted as well, depending on how well they fit into the universe.

NOTE: These are the ideal positions. Depending on the interest, some positions might (and most likely will) be combined, but if we can get enough help, this will work best.

Positions are:

Writers (all positions might work directly with other members on certain jobs) :

Tech writer - Your job will be writing descriptions for ships, weapons, and outfits in accordance with the game design.
Setting writer - Your job will be writing descriptions for planets, spaceport bars, and other setting-related parts of the game in accordance with the game design.
Mission writer - Your job will be taking short storylines and turning them into mission descriptions.

Coders:

Setting coder- Your job will be implementing the systems, planets, dudes, flets, and other universe-related coding, and creating trade routes. You will do the first round of testing for all setting-related elements.
Mission coder - Your job will be implementing non-string and string related missions, working from descriptions and stories, and you will do the first round of testing for missions and mission strings.
Tech coder - You will be implementing ships and weapons in accordance with the game design, and you will do the first round of testing for gameplay elements.

**Testers:
One or two testers willing to test gameplay elements, mission strings, proofread, and give feedback during production. This is not beta testing, and does not need to be as detailed as beta testing, but you will have to expect more bugs than regular beta testing and you will have a greater amount of input into how the universe
is made.

Sound:

Sound engineer - You will do sound effects for just about everything that doesn't have a sound effect yet.
Composer - We need an original opening theme song for AE. The hope is that we can get something similar in feel to the current opening music, but other ideas are accepted and appreciated.

Remember, this is non-payed hobby work. There will be milestones, but they are obviously significantly less stress-causing and strict than you would find were you getting payed for it. This is basically just a fun, involved hobby in which a number of people are working towards a common goal. Do not expect to start immediately, we still need to get some things in order before we can get a whole-team thing going yet. Let me know if you're interested.

This post has been edited by Crusader Alpha : 20 April 2009 - 01:19 PM

I'd go for Writer, Tester, and Sound...

My schedule's pretty jammed as-is, but I could sign up as a technical writer.

QUOTE (Crusader Alpha @ Apr 13 2009, 02:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi all. Acheron is in need of some help. We are looking for a number of new members. Some of these jobs will involve creativity and content generation, some will not. Contact me if you're interested in anything. We're looking for people who are available on a relatively predictable basis, and who are able to do a lot of quality work. Experience working in groups especially on other plugin projects is excellent. If you're not able to devote a bunch of time to the project, smaller contributions are accepted as well, depending on how well they fit into the universe.

NOTE: These are the ideal positions. Depending on the interest, some positions might (and most likely will) be combined, but if we can get enough help, this will work best.

Positions are:

Writers (all positions might work directly with other members on certain jobs) :

Tech writer - Your job will be writing descriptions for ships, weapons, and outfits in accordance with the game design.
Setting writer - Your job will be writing descriptions for planets, spaceport bars, and other setting-related parts of the game in accordance with the game design.
Mission writer - Your job will be taking short storylines and turning them into mission descriptions.

Coders:

Setting coder- Your job will be implementing the systems, planets, dudes, flets, and other universe-related coding, and creating trade routes. You will do the first round of testing for all setting-related elements.
Mission coder - Your job will be implementing non-string and string related missions, working from descriptions and stories, and you will do the first round of testing for missions and mission strings.
Tech coder - You will be implementing ships and weapons in accordance with the game design, and you will do the first round of testing for gameplay elements.

**Testers:
One or two testers willing to test gameplay elements, mission strings, proofread, and give feedback during production. This is not beta testing, and does not need to be as detailed as beta testing, but you will have to expect more bugs than regular beta testing and you will have a greater amount of input into how the universe
is made.

Sound:

Sound engineer - You will do sound effects for just about everything that doesn't have a sound effect yet.
Composer - We need an original opening theme song for AE. The hope is that we can get something similar in feel to the current opening music, but other ideas are accepted and appreciated.

Remember, this is non-payed hobby work. There will be milestones, but they are obviously significantly less stress-causing and strict than you would find were you getting payed for it. This is basically just a fun, involved hobby in which a number of people are working towards a common goal. Do not expect to start immediately, we still need to get some things in order before we can get a whole-team thing going yet. Let me know if you're interested.

Can do writing and some testing and proofreading, and can do some minor coding. Will be able to work on weekends only, but wont be able to put out a lot of work.

AAAAHHHHHHHH! So tempting! Such a great project, and so many great jobs!

More incentive to finish Anathema ASAP so I can try to squeeze into the Acheron dev team! Can you maybe just put it all on hold for a few months so? Pretty please? :hector_bird:

It's not going fast right now. If you finish Anathema up quickly I'm sure I can get you something.

In fact, what needs to be done with Anathema? If I have any resources I could donate to speed things up, I'd be willing. I don't have much time to make anything new, but if I have something that can help it's all yours.

I'll PM the rest of you who have responded so-far.

Well, most of what's left in Anathema is just storyboarding the penultimate section of the plot (the epilogue's already wrapped up), which should be pretty standard shoot-em-up missions. I really do appreciate the offer, as you've shown yourself to be one of the most talented plug-in architects on the forums,, but almost everything's wrapped up by now and it's just a matter of putting the pieces together. Besides, I only have room for 51 missions left, so I'd better be done soon!

I will let you know though when I start Beta; by then I should have more time to help with other projects.

Sounds good. Let me know.

Still looking, everyone. All of the available jobs are still listed above.

Sign me up as a tester. That's about all I can do at the moment, I'm afraid, but I'd love to contribute something to Acheron.

Could I get some more info on this project? I am new to the forums and a novice c++ coder. I also enjoy writing. Was looking at it and if it works out maybe I could do setting and mission writing as well as some testing and possible coding in the future.

To be honest I signed up to look for info about acquiring then EV license for MMO purposes (laugh all you want), but I would like to know more about this.

Is this a mod for EV or its own game? I can work most of the week and weekends.

Please get back to me via PM or Blitzcat21 (AIM)

I'll contact both of you. This is the official expansion for the Acheron TC, which was released maybe a year ago, maybe more, maybe less, I don't remember for sure. It is a mod for EV, so c++ won't be useful, but knowing how to work with nova plugs will. I can post some screenshots and info if anyone's interested, but can't say much about the storyline/s, those are to be kept under wraps until beta.

So, boss, when do we start? 🙂

Just wonderin' here. 😛

QUOTE (Warlord Mike @ Apr 20 2009, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So, boss, when do we start? 🙂

Just wonderin' here. 😛

I'll get a hold of you on email about it. It won't be immediate, I want to see how much team I can get first. Adding individuals to a team and having to go through the process of explaining everything we've already done over and over again can be surprisingly time consuming, so I'd like to have people mostly assembled this time round before orienting everyone new with the universe and stuff.

Not to mention, programming is one area where too many proverbial cooks can spoil the equally proverbial broth.

Yes, I've been listening to G'Kar. 😛

Ahh, I want to help. Way too much on my plate right now. I can sign on as a tester in a few weeks if you're still looking for help then.

We will be, most likely, but if there aren't any positions open we'll keep you in mind as a beta tester.

I know I'm getting into this a little late. The last post was almost 3 months ago. However, I can offer some help as a proofreader, if you still need one.

Good luck

This post has been edited by TonyR : 11 July 2009 - 07:34 PM