[ANN] Ares: Infinity

Now that Pallas Athene has convertelated the Ares sprites to .pngs I felt like someone needed to put some into Nova. So after an afternoon of hard work, I've made about a dozen ships and weapons from Ares available in Nova. You can download this little plug here. It adds the Ishiman Cruiser, Heavy Cruiser, Fighter, the Cantharan Gunship, Gaitori Fighter, Cruiser, Gunship, and Destroyer along with all their relevant weapons. There are also a number of unused weapons rlëDs in there. I also used the right sounds.

I did my best to make the ships behave like they do in Ares, but I'm basing it all off of three year old memories so please don't shoot me if it's not exactly right. Keep in mind that these ships aren't balanced for Nova, so good luck using them effectively. This is more like a technical demo anyway.

Again, you can download the plug here.

nice. I like them.

Just in time too. I figured out that Mission Computer can read Ares data files.

It can't get at all the resources though. I've only been able to get sounds and some of the static pictures.

Mission Computer will also open Avernum data files, but again, it can only read the pictures and sounds.

This post has been edited by JoshTigerheart : 26 October 2008 - 03:00 PM

@it-000, on Oct 26 2008, 03:26 PM, said in [ANN] Ares: Infinity:

I figured out that Mission Computer can read Ares data files.

MissionComputer can open any resource file, but it won't be able to decode custom resource types other than the ones belonging to the Escape Velocity games. This means that you'll probably only get anything useful from the standard Macintosh types, such as PICT, snd, STR, STR#, DITL, and DLOG.

Ares doesn't even use PICTs; it uses its own special image format called SMIV to facilitate Ares' zoom level interface among ships and weapons.

It uses PICTS for static images in briefings.

Mission Computer will also open Avernum data files, but again, it can only read the pictures and sounds.

Cool, I'll have to try it as soon as I'm done testing Cythera files.

This post has been edited by IT 000 : 29 October 2008 - 04:45 PM