Escape Velocity: Collision

@warlord-mike, on Apr 15 2007, 11:37 PM, said in Escape Velocity: Collision:

'Bridge, I just had a thought about what to call your TC, and I think it would be fitting:

EV: Breaking Point.

I like it. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll be sure to put it on my (very short) list of possible names.

@joshtigerheart, on Apr 16 2007, 11:16 AM, said in Escape Velocity: Collision:

Edit: If you can find a way for it to work acceptably, I'm sure there is a number of people who would be interested in hearing.

😉 I'd be interested in telling them.

Thanks for all that Pace, I read it through and it all sounds reasonable enough. I'll try it out when I get to that point in development (I'll have to file that away somewhere), and it shouldn't be too hard to test; it'll happen fairly early in the game. And as long as the player can read and recognize the name of the govtB ships, and does not have a sick, twisted mind, I don't think we'll have to worry about them attacking govtA. One of my goals in making this game is to have an enemy that is a sure thing -- an enemy you see and immediately start gunning for and/or running for your life. I want it to be a reminder of the good old days of EVO, back when you saw the Voinians and didn't have to think twice before locking on and letting loose with your arsenal. In EVN, there wasn't really any 'bad guy', except the Bureau, but there weren't a whole lot of Bureau ships flying around, were there? 😉

I'm actually thinking that I'll just have govtA defeat govtB initially, and then you'll be attacked by govtB later and there will be a nearly identical encounter as I've been describing, except that the fight will begin when you leave a planet. Then you can retreat from the system and the planet will be conquered by govtB.

And then again, if this really is impossible, I can always have govtA win again but have misn text on the planet in question which tells me (and govtA) to retreat to yet another planet. Too bad I can't name any of these planets. 😄

This post has been edited by Starbridge21 : 16 April 2007 - 04:37 PM

@starbridge21, on Apr 16 2007, 02:30 PM, said in Escape Velocity: Collision:

I like it. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll be sure to put it on my (very short) list of possible names.

Glad you liked it. I had a feeling you might. 🆒

One of my goals in making this game is to have an enemy that is a sure thing -- an enemy you see and immediately start gunning for and/or running for your life. I want it to be a reminder of the good old days of EVO, back when you saw the Voinians and didn't have to think twice before locking on and letting loose with your arsenal.

I wish we COULD go back to those days; truth be told, EVO was (and still is, in many ways) my favorite of the trilogy. Heck, I've even included them (the Voinians) in my storyline in the Warbird Bar in the Nova Boards.

In EVN, there wasn't really any 'bad guy', except the Bureau, but there weren't a whole lot of Bureau ships flying around, were there? 😉

True. I'll gladly attack Fed ships without hesitation, Auroran ships sometimes, but NEVER Wild Geese, Rebel, Association or Polaran ships.

@warlord-mike, on Apr 16 2007, 05:38 PM, said in Escape Velocity: Collision:

I wish we COULD go back to those days; truth be told, EVO was (and still is, in many ways) my favorite of the trilogy.

I have a feeling you're going to like this plug. It's just that kind of nostalgia for EVO that will make this plug so great in the minds of many a player.

This post has been edited by Starbridge21 : 16 April 2007 - 04:40 PM

@starbridge21, on Apr 16 2007, 04:30 PM, said in Escape Velocity: Collision:

I want it to be a reminder of the good old days of EVO, back when you saw the Voinians and didn't have to think twice before locking on and letting loose with your arsenal.

I still don't think twice about shooting at whoever I feel like killing...well, maybe the Polaris simply because of their uber weaponry and the ships I normally fly can't take hits from CPLs or Polaron Torps very well. This tends to be Feds because I spend most of my time there, which in turn is caused by the fact that not much happens outside of Fed space.

Oh, and per the govt A issue, there is a flag in the govt resource that make the player and said government immune to each other's fire. Their shots will pass through each other.

@joshtigerheart, on Apr 16 2007, 09:56 PM, said in Escape Velocity: Collision:

I still don't think twice about shooting at whoever I feel like killing...well, maybe the Polaris simply because of their uber weaponry and the ships I normally fly can't take hits from CPLs or Polaron Torps very well. This tends to be Feds because I spend most of my time there, which in turn is caused by the fact that not much happens outside of Fed space.

The player won't question who to attack because govtB will already not like the player (negative govtB reward for doing Fed missions); as soon as you jump into the system you'll hear alarm bells and all govtB ships on your radar will turn red. Most people consider that some kind of threat and either run away or open fire.

@joshtigerheart, on Apr 16 2007, 09:56 PM, said in Escape Velocity: Collision:

Oh, and per the govt A issue, there is a flag in the govt resource that make the player and said government immune to each other's fire. Their shots will pass through each other.

I wouldn't want to do that; the player has the right to attack the wrong ships, and if you do, both govts will be gunning for you. You won't live long. Nah, I'm really not at all worried about the player attacking govtA.

Just so you know, I'll in fact test my theory this afternoon. I've decided it might be useful for SFA, and for other projects than yours, so why not? 😉

See my new topic.

Okay, here's my first update for four days:

I've not had much time to do anything this past week, but I've been thinking a lot, and today I hope to put pencil to paper and write down all the stuff bouncing around inside my head -- figuratively, of course: All of this is going on the computer (I really ought to learn how to back things up to disc; I've heard nightmarish stories of TCs being lost forever because a computer crashed). I'll be doing more thinking this week, more writing next weekend, etc., etc., until this thing's done.

I've also just finished the Rebel storyline, and with all the thinking, I have a much better picture of the story in my head as well as a better idea of what I'll have to do to create this plug.

Remember when I said I'd have to 'tweak' the end of the Rebel story a bit? Most of it stays the same, but here are the 'tweaks':

EVN Rebel ending:
1 - After Krane's trial, the Vell-os went to the galactic north-west before moving beyond the physical universe.
2 - The Bureau is destroyed and the Federation is free from its reign.
3 - Krane is killed and Frandall becomes the head of Fed. intel.
4 - Ory-Hara disappeared after returning to Polaris space, never to be seen again.
5 - Dr. Pentacost was the President of the Federation for 23(I think) years before he died.

'Tweaked' ending:
1 - Nope, the Vell-os are still in the physical world. We saw from the Vell-os storyline that they need Ory'Hara and Krypt to move beyond it, so that hasn't happened...yet. As for going to the galactic north-west, I have my own story for where they went: most stayed in Fed. space as judges or to just live as regular people; some went to live with the Polaris; some of the new generation of Vell-os, born to the former, have joined the Fed. military in thanks to the Rebellion for freeing them; fewer still left the Known Galaxy immediately after the defeat of the Bureau to find their place in the universe.
2 - Yeah, the Fed. is free and the Bureau is alive only in Frandall (for all you know).
3 - True. But Frandall will mysteriously disappear early in the game. 😉
4 - True for the most part; there have been rumors of Ory-Hara sightings, most of them ridiculous, but, as far as you need be concerned, he hasn't been seen (and recognized) by more than a handful of people for the past 12 years -- he helped Gen. Smart contain a pirate uprising about 3 years after EVN, but very few have seen him since then. He's been off doing who-knows-what wherever he feels like it.
5 - Dr. Pentacost retired after 12 years (2 6-year terms) and died 2 years after that. Apparently he was a bit older, or maybe just unhealthier, in my mind then he was in Nova. Anyone think maybe I shouldn't kill him off? I can't think of any role for him to have in the coming events, so that's basically why he's dead. Otherwise...well, some stuff kind of wouldn't make as much sense.

There could be more 'tweaks' as I think of them; this is where I'll put them.

On a less related note, I'm still open to suggestions for names; all I've got so far are EV: Breaking Point (credit to Warlord Mike ) and some other random ones spinning around in my head like EV: Dark Tide, EV: Apocalypse, etc., etc., etc. It seems like I can never remember all of them at the same time ( <_< ), and so far I haven't picked any one that I like enough more than the others to be the title, so keep thinking, all suggestions are appreciated and I'll give you some credit in...well, the credits, if I pick your title.

This post has been edited by Starbridge21 : 24 April 2007 - 01:24 PM

I've been messing around with the ship & outf resources (I always wanted to fly a Hyperoid...and a Krypt...and a Wraith...for free.... 😉 )

Don't you dare call it Dark Tide.

EV: Red Tide/ EV: Blood Tide. I personally like the second one. It sounds awesome, and fits the feel of the plug. By the way, the plot looks awesome.

@crusader-alpha, on Apr 28 2007, 08:50 PM, said in Escape Velocity: Collision:

EV: Red Tide/ EV: Blood Tide. I personally like the second one. It sounds awesome, and fits the feel of the plug. By the way, the plot looks awesome.

I'm still standing by my EV: Breaking Point idea, but Blood Tide also sounds good. I still think Breaking Point would be more accurate of what his Quasi-TC is going to be, though.

How about EV: The Other Aftermath? +1 bonus point to the first person who can say why it isn't just Aftermath.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I love getting replies.

@gray-shirt-ninja, on Apr 28 2007, 11:29 PM, said in Escape Velocity: Collision:

Don't you dare call it Dark Tide.

...? Oh, I get it. Here's someone who read the NJO. Yeah, a lot of my inspiration came from that. Unless you have no clue what "NJO" is, and it's just that there's another plug out there called Dark Tide or something, in which case I'll scrap that name idea. It not my first choice anyway.

@crusader-alpha, on Apr 28 2007, 11:50 PM, said in Escape Velocity: Collision:

EV: Red Tide/ EV: Blood Tide. I personally like the second one. It sounds awesome, and fits the feel of the plug.

Oooo Blood Tide. That I like. Thanks.

@crusader-alpha, on Apr 28 2007, 11:50 PM, said in Escape Velocity: Collision:

By the way, the plot looks awesome.

😄

@warlord-mike, on Apr 29 2007, 10:29 AM, said in Escape Velocity: Collision:

I'm still standing by my EV: Breaking Point idea, but Blood Tide also sounds good. I still think Breaking Point would be more accurate of what his Quasi-TC is going to be, though.

I do like Breaking Point. Maybe I'll have a poll and ask the public what this should be called. I'll narrow it down to the top 4 or 5 suggestions or something. Probably I won't make a final decision on the name for a couple of months, but you never know -- I could hear or come up with something and think, Yeah! That's it!, and then I'll have a name.

@joshtigerheart, on Apr 29 2007, 01:08 PM, said in Escape Velocity: Collision:

How about EV: The Other Aftermath? +1 bonus point to the first person who can say why it isn't just Aftermath.

Oh! I know! EV:Aftermath is another quasi-TC.

This post has been edited by Starbridge21 : 29 April 2007 - 12:19 PM

Personally, I like either bloot tide or breaking point best.

@lnsu, on Apr 29 2007, 01:43 PM, said in Escape Velocity: Collision:

Personally, I like either bloot tide or breaking point best.

Yeah, those are my favorites so far.

Okay, I've just finished my list of all of the ships I'd like to have in my TC. I'll be adding about 50 to Nova's 63 (not including variants) for a total of 113. This puts me considerably under my early guess of "thrice as many ships," and I'm sure most of my other early guesses (a "galaxy...more than twice its current size") will end up being inaccurate as well. Though it could be twice as big 😉 .

Most of the new ships will be using spruced-up graphics from EVO and EVC, so don't get too excited. Keep in mind this is still just an early estimate and will probably change several times, but not drastically.

I've been wondering whether, seeing as the Wraiths have become more aggressive, they should keep attacking the Polaris with "Wraith Adults" instead of some kind of militia that's been trained to fight. What do you think? "Wraith Militia" doesn't sound too good to me; on the other hand, there will be a "Wraith Elder".

I liked the big green wraith elder from that one plug a while back.

Also, once you have everything else done, I'm sure that graphics artists will be fine with making new ships and stuff for the project. Heck, if I'm done with Darkstar by then, I might even help you out (although I probably won't be, or I'll be finishing up the Darkstar graphics at that time).

@starbridge21, on Apr 29 2007, 02:41 PM, said in Escape Velocity: Collision:

Okay, I've just finished my list of all of the ships I'd like to have in my TC. I'll be adding about 50 to Nova's 63 (not including variants) for a total of 113. This puts me considerably under my early guess of "thrice as many ships," and I'm sure most of my other early guesses (a "galaxy...more than twice its current size") will end up being inaccurate as well. Though it could be twice as big 😉 .

Most of the new ships will be using spruced-up graphics from EVO and EVC, so don't get too excited. Keep in mind this is still just an early estimate and will probably change several times, but not drastically.

I've been wondering whether, seeing as the Wraiths have become more aggressive, they should keep attacking the Polaris with "Wraith Adults" instead of some kind of militia that's been trained to fight. What do you think? "Wraith Militia" doesn't sound too good to me; on the other hand, there will be a "Wraith Elder".

If the wraith are being more aggressive, and the wraith have decided to wage war on the polaris, then yes, they will form an army to battle with. It would be a normal Wraith Adult, but perhaps a bit smarter (Increase the value of the strength field, and decrease the value of the skillvar field, AI = 4 (interceptor)). Also, when targetting, it would say "Wraith Army", or "Wraith Militia" or something like that.

The Wraith Legion.

This post has been edited by Crusader Alpha : 29 April 2007 - 04:38 PM