Random Damage

New Technique

I found a new technique to generate random damage.

Make the initial shot do a base amount of damage via blast radius. This shot subs on prox radius (it must not actually make contact with the target)
Then it subs into multiple parts with theta 180.
These parts are fast moving for a count of 2. Something like 1500 speed would make them 15 pixels out on frame 1. They either explode via prox radius or contact, and then expire at 30 pixels out on frame 2.

So, the subs are generating random damage based on whether or not they sub in a direction to hit the target.

Interesting. At first glance that seems more elegant than the other methods I've heard about. With a bit of tweaking and the right graphic for the sub, you might be able to create the visual effect of a continuous-rod warhead. That would mean slowing the sub down enough to make it visible, but it would probably still work.

Continuous-rod warheads could probably be done using 2 or 3 subs with -45 theta.

The other elegant way to make random damage is to give a weap decay and a short count that subs into itself. That way, small changes in distance can make large changes in damage.
The only way this method has a disadvantage is that one of the basic Nova tactics is to get an enemy chasing you while you fly backwards and fire. Using thrust and recoil, you can control your range pretty exactly. In this case you can find the larger damage ranges and exploit them.

Even a very small SubTheta would mean not every shot would have maximum damage at the same range for ranges several times the base range. If it doesn't home or fire at nearest target this also produces "curved inaccuracy bounds".

And your first idea is new to the EVDC? I'm surprised. The nice thing about random-direction subs for damage control is you can reuse the same wëap as the sub for multiple weapons. Plus you can do some other neat things. Just watch out for MaxShotsOnScreen.

This post has been edited by Qaanol : 02 April 2008 - 08:28 AM

@qaanol, on Apr 2 2008, 09:27 AM, said in Random Damage:

And your first idea is new to the EVDC?

No, it's not. Masamune used a similar solution for a random damage mrxak challenge over four years ago (have I really been here that long?)