Planets: How big is too big?

I get lag when I first launch Nova - in the initial menu bar screen. After that I'm jake. You're running 10.4.10, right?

Also, my Core Duo is a MacBook.

BluePlanet: those look awesome.

what did you use to make those planets? they look awsome.

also, by seperating the planets more, it would completely neutralize the effect of the thing that doesn't let you jump untill your away from the system center. it's supposed to simulate gravity. is there a way to widen it?

also, I made a space station that was 1500 by 2000, and thats when nova started to slow down. the station didn't look very good anyway. (I was having a space station encircle a planet. sort of.)

edit: here s a screenshot of mine. I'm not trying to draw attention away from you, blue planet, bt i would like to know what people think.

i will post another shortley because 2 is a good number.

This post has been edited by Yoda Almighty : 25 August 2007 - 11:33 AM

and here is 2

This post has been edited by Yoda Almighty : 25 August 2007 - 11:41 AM

Thanks Mackilroy, Yoda Almighty. I've noticed that with the planets seperated a bit smaller ships tend to make cargo runs between them. Looks kinda cool.

I use Lunarcell. I'm able to use other methods, but lunarcell had a good time-quality ratio IMO.

16 of however many planet types are now complete.

Here's a shot of the Sirius system, note the planets are binaries, thus would actually be oddly close together in this instance.

(once more scaled down 50 percent)

Attached File neoplanets_siriusjpg.jpg (77.5K)
Number of downloads: 35

(edit) Thanks also to Nil'kimas, as the hail window now fits. (end edit)

This post has been edited by BluePlanet : 25 August 2007 - 12:15 PM

Lunar cell is good, isn't it. :rolleyes:

i just wish there was a way to use lunarcell to make ringed planets. oh well.

by the way blue planet, try making a planet, set the sea level at zero and the lande texture at zero and no clouds and set the atmoshere thikness and brighness at about 60%. give the land some primary colors.(i used blue and green.) and presto! you've got a radioactive pulsar. it looks quiet interesting.

it's just something interesting that I tried.

It's a little too... something for a pulsar. Try a lens flare. When you look at a star, after all, it just looks like a ball of light.

It doesn't really remind me of a pulsar, but it definately looks radioactive.

Also, there is a way to make ringed planets using photoshop and lunarcell.

Attached File kimset.jpg (80.49K)
Number of downloads: 41

Its covered here: http://www.justalyn....lanet/rings.htm

(I used a simplified version of this method, Alyn is pretty extreme.)

@mackilroy, on Aug 26 2007, 03:32 AM, said in Planets: How big is too big?:

I get lag when I first launch Nova - in the initial menu bar screen. After that I'm jake. You're running 10.4.10, right?

Also, my Core Duo is a MacBook.

Yeah, 10.4.10. It was way back in the early versions of 10.4 that Nova ran fine. Do windows take a moment to open for you?

@blueplanet, on Aug 25 2007, 06:52 PM, said in Planets: How big is too big?:

It doesn't really remind me of a pulsar, but it definately looks radioactive.

Also, there is a way to make ringed planets using photoshop and lunarcell.

Attachment kimset.jpg

Its covered here: http://www.justalyn....lanet/rings.htm

(I used a simplified version of this method, Alyn is pretty extreme.)

I hate to be critical, but the rings shouldn't come so close to the planet. Erase a big circle out of the middle.

@cosmic_nusiance, on Aug 26 2007, 12:52 AM, said in Planets: How big is too big?:

I hate to be critical, but the rings shouldn't come so close to the planet. Erase a big circle out of the middle.

Hmm, you're right. I'll work on it in the morning. When my brains are less like scrambled eggs.

--BP

@blueplanet, on Aug 25 2007, 10:56 PM, said in Planets: How big is too big?:

Hmm, you're right.

That's a more positive reaction than I expected. I respect people who can take criticism. Bravo!

The rings no longer hug the planet so tightly:

Attached File kimset2.jpg (75.47K)
Number of downloads: 30

--BP

@blueplanet, on Aug 26 2007, 08:29 AM, said in Planets: How big is too big?:

The rings no longer hug the planet so tightly:

Attachment kimset2.jpg

--BP

Aaaaaaah. Soooooooo much better. 😉

The earth:

Attached File mostlyharmless.jpg (63.28K)
Number of downloads: 38

Things are looking good. Planets should all be done by this time next week, if not sooner.

Then comes syst editing, to make sure all the spobs are placed decently far apart (ie not overlapping)

After that I'll see if anybody is interested in beta testing.

-- BP

not to be a critic, but it needs more clouds and shading on the bottom right. (Standard) other than that, it's great. how did you do it? because I'm going to have to do something of similar soon...

This post has been edited by Yoda Almighty : 26 August 2007 - 03:56 PM

I did the earth in Cinema 4D ART R7. Used the texture from http://www.kuffner.org/james/gallery/raytr...rth_from_space/ as both color and bump map.

So you're saying you want it to be lit the way the Nova planets are lit? (more shading)

why more clouds? (edit) Oh, in general. I thought you meant specifically on the bottom right! (end edit)

-BP

This post has been edited by BluePlanet : 26 August 2007 - 03:58 PM

you could just impot the picture in photoshop and use burn. it works rather well.

thanks for the link about ringed planets!

is cinema 4D free?
and is it a small download?

thanx.

@yamfries, on Aug 26 2007, 09:03 PM, said in Planets: How big is too big?:

is cinema 4D free?

No, thats why I'm stuck with Cinema 4D R7 for the time being. R10 is out now... (drools)

Anyway, Blender and Wings 3D I've read are free 3D modeling and rendering tools, but I dont really know anything about them.

@blueplanet, on Aug 26 2007, 04:11 PM, said in Planets: How big is too big?:

No, thats why I'm stuck with Cinema 4D R7 for the time being. R10 is out now... (drools)

Anyway, Blender and Wings 3D I've read are free 3D modeling and rendering tools, but I dont really know anything about them.

I have wings. It's ok for simple recreation, but I am going to have to get something else to do the ships for Apophis.

(Oh, sorry. are you aware that I am Making a TC? It's called Apophis, Or ~A P O P H I S~.(It looks more impressive that way. 😛 ))

I tried to download blender, but it wouldn't work on my computer.<-- I'm hoping to get a new one sometime in the future.

In Apophis, I am going to have to make Earth and associated planets soon, It occurs to me that I could download actual pictures of Earth taken from space, and edit it so that it will work in nova. I know it would be rather lazy of me, but it would also be very cool. (I could also do Mars, Jupiter, and possibly Saturn as well.)

Gre'a'datz. boz verdiel tre ath'e yarde? Doj balan!

I re-lit the earth and thickened the clouds:

Attached File mostlyharmless2.jpg (77.31K)
Number of downloads: 32

As for the idea you floated, Yoda Almighty, astronomical pictures might work as planet graphics, and they are mostly public domain.

Good luck with your TC. Is there some place to read more about it?

--BP