Do planets need spin files?

When you first make an RLE, do you need to set a spin file for the planet, or can you leave that blank. also, do you need an RLE8 and a RLEd or can you get away with just one. if so, which? Finally, is there a progame available over the net that lets you make ringed planets and gas giants? that is all.

Cheers,
YODA

Yes, all sprites need spin resources except for ships, which need shans. You can just use an rleD. Rle8s are only used by older (i.e. usually pre-G3) Macs that can't display as many colors on the screen.

There's no program that can make planets of very good quality, except for the Lunarcell plugin for PS (and the quality from Lunarcell is only semi-great, but is OK in some contexts), but you could find a reasonable amount of graphics artists who could help you out with planets.

Attached File New_Sparta.gif (89.82K)
Number of downloads: 33

Booyah! Gotta love CS3!

If you need my skillz, email me at neom4a1 (at) gmail (dot) com

Ringed planets and such are just regular planets that just have a non-circular mask to match the image. You would do it just like any other planet, but you'd put a ring around it. Gas giants are über easy, just bands of color and then smudge away, giving an organic, cloudy, gassy look.

This post has been edited by Cosmic_Nusiance : 01 August 2007 - 02:03 PM

I am happy to report that planets will not be a problem. This I made with lunar cell, but it's only about 1/2 size.Attached File Sample_planet.jpg (65.23K)
Number of downloads: 30

(P.S. I don't hold with those little dots over Uber. they could fall offf and cause unnecessary punctuation.) MWahahaha.

@yamfries, on Aug 2 2007, 10:11 AM, said in Do planets need spin files?:

I don't hold with those little dots over Uber. they could fall offf and cause unnecessary punctuation.

Actually, they are quite necessary because it's a foreign word.

New Sparta there is pretty good. The lighting is a little off though, but hey.

@crusader-alpha, on Aug 2 2007, 05:25 PM, said in Do planets need spin files?:

New Sparta there is pretty good. The lighting is a little off though, but hey.

Thanks. Yeah, the lighting is a bit off. Maybe you're just approaching it at a different angle. You can't ALWAYS come in in the exact same relative position, ya know. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it :).

I think he means how it looks it's daytime on more than half the planet.

Yes, that is what I'm referring to. If the edges of the light were visible where they are, the light would curve across the planet differently.

@crusader-alpha, on Aug 3 2007, 01:58 PM, said in Do planets need spin files?:

Yes, that is what I'm referring to. If the edges of the light were visible where they are, the light would curve across the planet differently.

Oh, that. Yeah, I'm not the best at lighting. Maybe it has a really really big orbital searchlight that's pointed right at the planet in that shape. 😄